Sexton's last season? Outhalf going forward..

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: Sexton's last season? Outhalf going forward..

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 9th, 2022, 2:00 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 9th, 2022, 1:50 pm According to Wikipedia, Harry is 22 and turns 23 on the 22nd of April.
and at the start of 23/24 season he will be 24.
Yes. Apologies, Mildly. I realise now the point you were making. Duh.... :roll:
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Frawley at 10 for Ireland. Glad to see it. Looks like the best option there. Frustrating Leinster don’t think so. Hopefully not another Carbery situation.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

curates_egg wrote: June 28th, 2022, 6:44 am Frawley at 10 for Ireland. Glad to see it. Looks like the best option there. Frustrating Leinster don’t think so. Hopefully not another Carbery situation.
Far as I know he's only playing 10 tomorrow because of an Injury to Harry so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

In reality I think it would have made more sense to start Joey with Frawley on the bench to cover to be honest. They've nailed they're colors to Joey so they're not gonna get a huge amount of chances to start him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Frawley has started 9 games for Leinster at 10 by the way. I think people forget that.

He had a few pretty ropey performances too, albeit that was earlier in his career.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeinsterLeader wrote: June 28th, 2022, 9:43 am
curates_egg wrote: June 28th, 2022, 6:44 am Frawley at 10 for Ireland. Glad to see it. Looks like the best option there. Frustrating Leinster don’t think so. Hopefully not another Carbery situation.
Far as I know he's only playing 10 tomorrow because of an Injury to Harry so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

In reality I think it would have made more sense to start Joey with Frawley on the bench to cover to be honest. They've nailed they're colors to Joey so they're not gonna get a huge amount of chances to start him.
Game is on Wednesday. Ireland play Saturday. They don't want to start Joey (or anyone) tomorrow and then play him Saturday when he might get called in early.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

ronk wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:06 am

Game is on Wednesday. Ireland play Saturday. They don't want to start Joey (or anyone) tomorrow and then play him Saturday when he might get called in early.
Yeah I understand that alright, but I think too we can be a bit precious with players. Injuries are going to happen and sometimes you just have to risk it. I just think a bird in the hand in this case (a start for Joey) is worth the risk but I get what they're thinking alright.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Ah. I didn't realise that. Again? Seriously?
Between him and Carbery, they are made of glass (as well as being repeatedly unconvincing).

I thought they may have been coming out of their bunker on both Harry and Carbery. Wishful thinking, I guess.
Unfortunately, I am not sure that even an amazing performance by Frawley would change their minds.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

curates_egg wrote: June 28th, 2022, 11:14 am

Ah. I didn't realise that. Again? Seriously?
Between him and Carbery, they are made of glass (as well as being repeatedly unconvincing).

I thought they may have been coming out of their bunker on both Harry and Carbery. Wishful thinking, I guess.
Unfortunately, I am not sure that even an amazing performance by Frawley would change their minds.
I don’t know if frawls puts in a strong performance it could go a very long way to giving him more shots at 10. Plus I think they have played him 12 to get him more settled and aware of timings cause that’s what he suffered most from in his previous outhalf performances. Plus this is the Māoris that he will be playing against
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

All hail Sam Prendergast.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

curates_egg wrote: July 6th, 2022, 5:25 pm All hail Sam Prendergast.
+1
A very pleasing development from a player eligible again next year. Certainly worthy of more exposure and to be given a more experienced mid-field to work with. Would love to see him inside the 6N Under 20 centres. Very different from Tector and certainly both should not play in the same Club if they want to prosper over the next season.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Harry Byrne being sent home from the tour to New Zealand with an injury, without having played.
Poor guy. Really starting to have a worrying injury profile.
Also a major mess for Leinster's (and Ireland's) succession planning.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Wonder if the injury proneness of Harry, combined with Johnny's imminent retirement, is one of the reasons that two 10's are coming into the academy this year?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

cormac wrote: July 9th, 2022, 4:12 pm Wonder if the injury proneness of Harry, combined with Johnny's imminent retirement, is one of the reasons that two 10's are coming into the academy this year?
I think they are really keen on getting Prendergast on board and there's a pretty strong chance that Connacht would have tried [or maybe did try] to get him into their set-up. Tector is a grand slam winning outhalf, so it would be poor judgment to leave him out of the mix.

Harry's durability is an issue though, you're right. He's listed as 191cm and 95kg – he's big and athletic, but unfortunately not at all robust.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

He’s a smart footballer but don’t think Harry’s athletic, certainly not international fly half athletic. Possibly looks like a sprinter beside his brother but so would I!!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Not a poster on here any more but I still enjoy visiting to read, so I was surprised not to find any discussion of the Sexton injury yet.
Based on what is being reported (three-month timeframe), he has played his last game for Leinster.
Beyond the implications for our season, that would be sad if true. I hoped he would also have a fairytale ending with us.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - Johnny Sexton: Cullen unsure whether injured fly-half's Leinster season is over
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65062667

May as well stick this here too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Can't help think of the parallel when Contepomi limped off at the moment of glory in 2009 when he was on the way out.

If that's how his Leinster career finishes then so be it. It finished on an incredible high. Who knows, maybe we will see him again in blue.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

going to find out pretty quickly how the post sexton era might go..
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 27th, 2023, 2:16 pm going to find out pretty quickly how the post sexton era might go..
Its not definitive, he wont want to go out like this and will do everything possible to play in blue again this season.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

didn't even get the chance to chant "one more year" and get a late change of heart. Any hope he'll give us one more season?