Sexton's last season? Outhalf going forward..

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Sexton's last season? Outhalf going forward..

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: November 14th, 2020, 1:15 pm Sheedy just got capped for Wales. He obviously doesn’t think we have an opportunity at outhalf.
after playing at various levels for Wales, Ireland and England, its about time he got off the pot!
I have Bumbleflex
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Answer to question: Harry Byrne.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Johnny Sexton(36/St. Marys/St. Marys) - 6'2, Centrally contracted until June 2021.
Ross Byrne(26/St.Michaels/UCD) - 6'3, Signed contract in 2020.
Ciaran Frawley(23/Skerries RFC/UCD) - 6'3, Signed contract in 2019
Harry Byrne(22/St.Michaels/Lansdowne) - 6'2, Signed contract in 2020.
David Hawkshaw(22/Belvedere/Clontarf) - 5'10, Academy Y3.
--
Tim Corkery(19/Kilkenny RFC/UCD)
Harry Colbert(U20/Gonzaga/DUFC)
Charlie Tector(U19/Kilkenny/Lansdowne)

Corkery has been absent from A teams this season after playing last, which could be injury related i'm not sure. Colbert is in and around the 20's squad, while Tector is very highly rated. There will be a space for an academy 10, right now it looks between Corkery and Tector.

Sexton is obviously going nowhere, will Hawkshaw join senior squad? You'd hope so.

* age as of start of next season.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

mildlyinterested wrote:Sexton is obviously going nowhere.
Is that so obvious now? Without Covid, I agree he wouldn’t be going anywhere, but under financial pressure we will have a fight to keep Frawley on our hands I’d imagine, maybe Sexton is cut loose to preserve the youth contracts?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: January 10th, 2021, 4:18 pm
mildlyinterested wrote:Sexton is obviously going nowhere.
Is that so obvious now? Without Covid, I agree he wouldn’t be going anywhere, but under financial pressure we will have a fight to keep Frawley on our hands I’d imagine, maybe Sexton is cut loose to preserve the youth contracts?
Sexton isn't going to be cut loose. He is the club captain and current irish captain.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If Faz wants him next year the IRFU won’t want him to retire.

Doesn’t look like anyone is about to take his place. If his body is breaking down there’s no point persisting. Or you cut and hope to muddle through and have someone developed for the RWC.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Sexton finishing the match on Friday was both a function of him surviving physically (he gave himself every chance as he didn’t carry to the line) and a statement. Once he was ok physically I would say Leocaster knew that he wanted to finish the 80 and make a statement to all and sundry.

Smart move. But for me he was largely a passenger on Friday - he certainly was not the alpha of Irish rugby. Had Ross/ Harry or Frawley played the same game people would say they weren’t ready to pressure Johnny. He was sub-par / sub-Johnny

Sometimes you should not wait to the bitter end to anoint a successor.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Sexton had 4 successors so far: Madigan, Bleyendaal, Jackson and Carbery.

It wasn't lack of trying or planning. But what's done is done and the question is do you take a risk on Sexton? I think you can't ignore the upside.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: January 10th, 2021, 10:06 pm Sexton had 4 successors so far: Madigan, Bleyendaal, Jackson and Carbery.

It wasn't lack of trying or planning. But what's done is done and the question is do you take a risk on Sexton? I think you can't ignore the upside.
More importantly you can't ignore the downsides.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What’s the downside?

IRFU cash on a marketable player? If Sexton isn’t around next season we will probably have a rotating cast competing for the 10 jersey, the same cast competing for the 22 jersey and pretty well spread out across the provinces. So just like we have already and have at hooker. Best moving on hasn’t coalesced the depth chart.

We can’t build our game around a future marquee outhalf (or compensate for a weak position) until we know who that is. And that’s a pool of 6 players right now (not counting Madigan) across 4 provinces.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

interesting to hear ROG drop Charlie Tectors name on OTB last week when mentioning young 10's in ireland.

Leinster u19 outhalf Fionn O'Hara(Mullingar) kicking with both feet: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKhoD-Is2Pg/
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 27th, 2021, 6:23 pm interesting to hear ROG drop Charlie Tectors name on OTB last week when mentioning young 10's in ireland.

Leinster u19 outhalf Fionn O'Hara(Mullingar) kicking with both feet: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKhoD-Is2Pg/
Seems like he has his ear to the ground in terms of recruiting talented Irish players.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Morf wrote: January 28th, 2021, 12:36 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 27th, 2021, 6:23 pm interesting to hear ROG drop Charlie Tectors name on OTB last week when mentioning young 10's in ireland.

Seems like he has his ear to the ground in terms of recruiting talented Irish players.
ROG tried to bring Jack Crowley to La Rochelle.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4486600

What a ridiculous article. Why on earth would Leinster be willing to let Harry Byrne go to Connacht? Having already lost Carbery to Munster. Whichever journo asked Friend this question was simply looking to fill column inches. One of the more ridiculous suggestions I've seen in a long time.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

erskinechilders wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:00 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4486600

What a ridiculous article. Why on earth would Leinster be willing to let Harry Byrne go to Connacht? Having already lost Carbery to Munster. Whichever journo asked Friend this question was simply looking to fill column inches. One of the more ridiculous suggestions I've seen in a long time.
I presume he was merely putting forth a propostion that was all over various media, social and traditional, at the weekend.
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

I'd wager good money that it was Cummiskey asking that.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:03 am
erskinechilders wrote: February 17th, 2021, 9:00 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4486600

I presume he was merely putting forth a propostion that was all over various media, social and traditional, at the weekend.
I read that bit and all I could hear was Jim Morrison screaming "You can not petition the lord with prayer!!"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Luke Fitz on his soapbox about Frawley needing to leave Leinster.

seems to think he is the best young 10 in Leinster and needs to leave or he will "ruin his career"
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Listened to it there after seeing your comment. It’s a topic which Luke Fitz is gonna be passionate about! Frawley is class and strikes me he has the attributes to be an international 10, possibly even right now. But he’s a weapon at 12 and 15 in provincial rugby too, so...I dunno!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There are international 10s at 4 provinces. And 2 in exile.

It's all we'll and good saying that Leinster have too many talented outhalves, but there isn't an option that offers considerably more quality game time.