Scrumhalf going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Scrumhalf going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IAhAF&ep=6

Good podcast with JGP, revealed he has a year left on his contract with Leinster.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:33 pm https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IAhAF&ep=6

Good podcast with JGP, revealed he has a year left on his contract with Leinster.
Not sure I'd call it a good pod, but interesting tidbits. He wants to stay for another few years, doesn't really seem to rate NH players, thinks Henshaw is a beast and Jack Conan is a beast who plays like a Kiwi.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 13th, 2021, 8:33 pm https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IAhAF&ep=6

Oh, and thanks for sharing :!:
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

what McCarthy brings next season:

his sublime pass

and an underrated ability in the open field
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

His pass is erratic and he has a step whilst his open field running appears to be a closely guarded secret!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:24 pm what McCarthy brings next season:

his sublime pass

+1.

A very intelligent and now a mature player too. Close to the finished article, he will only reach his full potential when he plays regularly, something he has struggled to do at two of Europe's best clubs. He will be the best passer in the roster. Has a break based on very good speed and will use it if confident in himself, which he will be as a 26 year old who has been brought back to the best club in Europe.

An excellent #3, well capable of performing at highest levels if called upon and waaaaaayyyy ahead of any other 9 currently with Leinster below Luke and JGP. Has played Champions Cup and has a Pro14 medal. Good business.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

backrower8 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:21 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:24 pm what McCarthy brings next season:

his sublime pass

+1.

A very intelligent and now a mature player too. Close to the finished article, he will only reach his full potential when he plays regularly, something he has struggled to do at two of Europe's best clubs. He will be the best passer in the roster. Has a break based on very good speed and will use it if confident in himself, which he will be as a 26 year old who has been brought back to the best club in Europe.

An excellent #3, well capable of performing at highest levels if called upon and waaaaaayyyy ahead of any other 9 currently with Leinster below Luke and JGP. Has played Champions Cup and has a Pro14 medal. Good business.
Agree totally!!!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

McCarthy is a very shrewd signing imo. Likely on buttons, comes back with a point to prove and he's exactly the profile of guy we need - solid third choice in his mid 20s who is good enough to bench in Europe and play Pro14 games.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

wixfjord wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:36 pm McCarthy is a very shrewd signing imo. Likely on buttons, comes back with a point to prove and he's exactly the profile of guy we need - solid third choice in his mid 20s who is good enough to bench in Europe and play Pro14 games.
not to mention he has played with most of the squad before, including some of the young leaders in the group since they were in their early teens.

leinster weren't going to get a better IQ'd 9 to come into the squad.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

backrower8 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:21 pm he will only reach his full potential when he plays regularly, something he has struggled to do at two of Europe's best clubs.
Leinster and UCD?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

joooooe wrote: April 15th, 2021, 4:23 pm
backrower8 wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:21 pm he will only reach his full potential when he plays regularly, something he has struggled to do at two of Europe's best clubs.
Leinster and UCD?
:D
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jamison Gibson Park(30)
Luke McGrath(29/St. Michaels/UCD)
Nick McCarthy(26/St. Michaels/UCD)
Cormac Foley(22/St. Gerards/Lansdowne)
--
Ben Murphy(21/Pres Bray/Old Wesley) - Academy Yr 2
Fintan Gunne(19/St. Michaels) - Academy Yr 1?
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 11th, 2022, 5:13 pm Jamison Gibson Park(30)
--
Watching Leinster A v AIL Selection last week, Fintan Gunne came on to lot of noise from his mates in the crowd and was awful. Very slow getting the ball away and snagged a couple of times. That’s the only time I’ve seen him so I hope it isn’t typical.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Who's the Rock kid everyone is talking about?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

ronk wrote: May 11th, 2022, 8:35 pm Who's the Rock kid everyone is talking about?
Oliver Coffey?
Still in school.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

D4surfer wrote: May 11th, 2022, 8:27 pm
--
Watching Leinster A v AIL Selection last week, Fintan Gunne came on to lot of noise from his mates in the crowd and was awful. Very slow getting the ball away and snagged a couple of times. That’s the only time I’ve seen him so I hope it isn’t typical.
way over the top criticism for me, he was snagged once on his first play of the game, when leinster A werent giving away penalties or knocking on the ball he got the ball away quickly in limited opportunities.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote: May 11th, 2022, 9:12 pm
--

way over the top criticism for me, he was snagged once on his first play of the game, when leinster A werent giving away penalties or knocking on the ball he got the ball away quickly in limited opportunities.
Watch it again. He was snagged at least twice. I genuinely hope he’s the real deal.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

D4surfer wrote: May 11th, 2022, 9:41 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: May 11th, 2022, 9:12 pm

Watch it again. He was snagged at least twice. I genuinely hope he’s the real deal.
I watched it again.. he was snagged once at a scrum, another time Daly almost got him but he got it away and leinster retained posession.

Im not saying he was great, but awful is over the top.. the teams performance in the 2nd half certainly didnt help him as they were incredibly sloppy.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

OK, I’ll say not great instead of awful.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

D4surfer wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:57 am OK, I’ll say not great instead of awful.
I'll agree with that.

Oscar Cawley who came off the bench for the AIL side is the same age grade at Gunne and I liked what I saw from him.