A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Scrumhalf going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

Morf wrote: March 5th, 2021, 6:55 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm I wouldnt be surprised if both of them left with McCarthy coming back. Might aswel give Foley the gametime as 4th and see if they fancy him.
I would be surprised if they only had 4 contracted scrumhalves next season.
With at the very least one Munster 9 locked into an Irish 23 I doubt there's any chance 2 Leinster 9s will be with Ireland.
I agree..but they've had six 9's contacted this season, I doubt they will cut that to 4.

Wait and see I suppose.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

McCarthy needs gametime to hold form. Signing him is a signal of intent to give him minutes. Some can easily come from MCGrath and Gibson-Park but I’d expect to see very little senior action outside that 3.

Now do we need 2 pro (or semipro) players for A games? Probably not under the circumstances. Then do we have the talent to take academy input this year? Not as I understand it.

In terms of depth Leinster could play any of those 3 for 80 minutes and rely on Foley as break glass cover. So the chances of being stuck playing him unplanned in a big game are tiny, even with a smaller squad. Leinster are normally good for development by rotation, but signing McCarthy back changes the maths.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Patterson playing very well for Munster A.

Maybe it's just whatever leinster do when it comes to scrumhalf coaching/skill development.. or don't do.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Poster on munsterfans reporting that Rowan Osborne has signed a one-year deal with Munster while Patterson will be returning to Leinster.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

cormac wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:33 pm Poster on munsterfans reporting that Rowan Osborne has signed a one-year deal with Munster while Patterson will be returning to Leinster.
Seen that. Odd one.

Don't know what to make of leinsters scrumhalf situation.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

cormac wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:33 pm Poster on munsterfans reporting that Rowan Osborne has signed a one-year deal with Munster while Patterson will be returning to Leinster.
Heard HOS didn’t get offered a new contract and is leaving Leinster at the end of the season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:40 pm
Heard HOS didn’t get offered a new contract and is leaving Leinster at the end of the season.
probably for the best for both sides, HOS needs to play to develop and he isn't going to play enough at Leinster.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Nick McCarthy is going to be a really good addition next season.

He’s looked very good for Munster recently.

I remember Nick coming on against Saracens in 2018 and he seemed very nervous.

Of course Nick should never have left Leinster. He should certainly never have gone to Munster. Utterly nonsensical move.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

elephantman wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:48 pm Nick McCarthy is going to be a really good addition next season.

He’s looked very good for Munster recently.

I remember Nick coming on against Saracens in 2018 and he seemed very nervous.

Of course Nick should never have left Leinster. He should certainly never have gone to Munster. Utterly nonsensical move.
HOS and Patterson did seem very promising at the time tbf and Murray was the only decent scrum half at Munster at the time so I can see why McCarthy moved. Hasn’t worked out for HOS and Patterson tho.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jamison Gibson Park(29)
Luke McGrath(28/St. Michaels/UCD)
Nick McCarthy(26/St. Michaels/UCD)
Cormac Foley(21/St. Gerards/Lansdowne) - Y3

Possible academy addition?

Ben Murphy(20/Pres Bray/Old Wesley)
Will Reilly(20/Portlaoise/MU Barnhall)
Rob Gilsenan(20/St. Michaels/UCD)
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Munster are are speed dating with Leinster scrum halves: McCarthy, Murphy, Patterson, and now Osborne:

https://the42.ie/5376724
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Youd assume Patterson will be leaving leinster at the end of the season.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

joooooe wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:53 pm Munster are are speed dating with Leinster scrum halves: McCarthy, Murphy, Patterson, and now Osborne:

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

joooooe wrote: March 9th, 2021, 11:04 pm
joooooe wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:53 pm Munster are are speed dating with Leinster scrum halves: McCarthy, Murphy, Patterson, and now Osborne:

Parasitic Relationship!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I hope there’s some kind of plan for all the scrumhalves in Ireland. It all seems very haphazard to me, as if there’s a plan for the first choice guys and then the rest will just fit in where they’re needed to fill spaces that crop up.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Connacht seem to be well set with Marmion(29)/Blade(27) and a promising young 9 in Reilly(21).

Ulster seem to be investing heavily in Doak(19), lots of talk that Cooney(31) will look to France at the end of his current contract, but that could be northern hysteria. With another promising 9 in Finlay(21) in their academy.

Munster have Murray(32)/Casey(22), but not much besides it appears.

Leinster will have McGrath(28)/JGP(29)/McCarthy(26).

Will Paddy Patterson(22) be retained? Is Cormac Foley(21) worth persisting with? Will a 9 join the academy?
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 10th, 2021, 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: March 10th, 2021, 11:23 am I hope there’s some kind of plan for all the scrumhalves in Ireland. It all seems very haphazard to me, as if there’s a plan for the first choice guys and then the rest will just fit in where they’re needed to fill spaces that crop up.
There is a plan. 3 solid young options for almost all gametime for a few years and reboot the development pathway.

We’ll develop 14 other positions with experienced 9s.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Great to see that Munster have bolstered their SH options going forward.
With the likelihood that Munster will lose 1 and possibly 2 scrum halves during international windows, it is essential to have depth.

Hopefully Cronin can come back and cement his position as third choice, but who knows.
Munster have been looking to get Coughlan up to speed for next season, but I’m not sure how that is going, so Osborne could conceivably find himself starting a lot of games next season, something he hasn’t done much of to date.

I personally hope that Osborne can go on to have a great career, as I love these Cinderella stories, where he was passed up by the academy, but still managed to make it in the pro game.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Happy to HOS get more game time.. hopefully he uses it well

Will watch Nick Mc with interest tomorrow night, hopefully PP too.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

McCarthy will be a large upgrade on HOS and Osborne based on performances lately.

Patterson looked pretty good too to be fair.