Scrumhalf going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Scrumhalf going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 1st, 2021, 8:39 am going to watch the munster benetton game now for my sins to see how he played.
thought he played well behind a beaten pack, setup a try with an offload from the deck.

Will keep an eye on Munster more now to see how he goes given he has a chance to build some game time during the 6 nations.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Luke's stats for Jan 2021:

2️⃣4️⃣7️⃣ minutes played
2️⃣ tries
3️⃣2️⃣ carries
1️⃣5️⃣2️⃣ metres gained
9️⃣ defenders beaten
1️⃣9️⃣ tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: February 10th, 2021, 2:44 pm Luke's stats for Jan 2021:

2️⃣4️⃣7️⃣ minutes played
2️⃣ tries
3️⃣2️⃣ carries
1️⃣5️⃣2️⃣ metres gained
9️⃣ defenders beaten
1️⃣9️⃣ tackles
SFW!

If his pass was quicker and persistently accurate, he would (and should) have displaced Murray 18 months ago.

However, it isn't and he hasn't and Leinster continue to have one of the best pound-for-pound rugby players in Europe available most weeks, whose sole weakness is that he isn't a great passer.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Yep I tend to agree.. huge shame that he could never get his passing sorted out as it's the only thing that's preventing him from being an elite scrumhalf.

A dedicated skills coach might help him get more consistency, but it's probably too late for Luke.

Still you'd fancy him to get over 200 leinster caps.
Serb
Mullet

Scrumhalf going forward

Post by Serb »

Passing may be his sole weakness, but we’re talking about a scrum half here — when you have ~90 touches in a game like he did vs Scarlets and 80 of them are passes, having a bad pass becomes a bit of a problem.

I do like Luke all the same, his snipes are excellent and he has a great eye for the try line. He has games where he hits nearly every pass on the money and follows it up with games where most passes go over the receivers head.

I do wonder how much Leinster are held back by his less than excellent pass. Maybe not at all, it’s not like we’ve done badly with him at 9, but maybe we could have replicated the European dominance of 09-12 with someone more reliable at the helm?
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I'd be quite happy with us bringing in a kiwi and letting them do a 5 year residency. This has being a problem for ages and we haven't been able to solve like other problem positions. Let's do a Munster on it!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: February 11th, 2021, 12:48 am Passing may be his sole weakness, but we’re talking about a scrum half here — when you have ~90 touches in a game like he did vs Scarlets and 80 of them are passes, having a bad pass becomes a bit of a problem.

I do like Luke all the same, his snipes are excellent and he has a great eye for the try line. He has games where he hits nearly every pass on the money and follows it up with games where most passes go over the receivers head.

I do wonder how much Leinster are held back by his less than excellent pass. Maybe not at all, it’s not like we’ve done badly with him at 9, but maybe we could have replicated the European dominance of 09-12 with someone more reliable at the helm?
we didn't lose to saracens last october due to luke mcgrath's passing.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

sunshiner1 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:21 am I'd be quite happy with us bringing in a kiwi and letting them do a 5 year residency. This has being a problem for ages and we haven't been able to solve like other problem positions. Let's do a Munster on it!
we've done this already, it hasn't solved anything.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I think patience is needed in this position. Granted we are not in luxurious position of a few years where we had Reddan & Boss as our senior 9's and then we had Luke behind them. JGP will be 29 this year and Luke just turned 28 so we've at least 3 years left of the two of them at their peak. There are a few excellent prospects coming through at schools level, the best of which I think is Gunne from Michaels. 3 years to find and develop a 9 shouldn't be beyond us.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Not sure about excellent prospects... lack of game time this year certainly won't have helped.. lets hope the scrumhalves have spent their time off working on their passes.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Nick Mc did well last night playing the full game for Munster.. 2nd time he has done that with Patterson not getting off the bench.
Jcahill1
Bookworm

Post by Jcahill1 »

Always thought Nick had a pretty good pass.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Don't think his passing was ever really an issue. It's not elite but usually very good.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Senior team appearances at 9:
Luke McGrath - 11 starts, 4 sub apps - 858 mins
Jamison Gibson Park - 4 starts, 2 sub apps - 275 mins
Hugh O'Sullivan - 4 sub apps - 60 mins
Rowan Osborne - 3 sub apps - 28 mins

'A' team 9 appearances
Cormac Foley - 2 starts, 2 sub apps
Hugh O'Sullivan - 2 starts
Rowan Osborne - 2 sub apps
Paddy Patterson - 1 sub apps
Last edited by mildlyinterested on March 3rd, 2021, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 12:59 pm Senior team appearances at 9:
Hugh O'Sullivan - 4 sub appearances - 60 mins
Rowan Osborne - 3 sub appearances - 28 mins

'A' team 9 appearances
Cormac Foley - 2 start, 2 sub
Hugh O'Sullivan - 2 start
Rowan Osborne - 2 sub
Paddy Patterson - 1 sub
Looks like they really don’t have any faith in the upcoming scrum halves
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Lock9541 wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:03 pm
Looks like they really don’t have any faith in the upcoming scrum halves
that's been clear for awhile.. McCarthy returning would further underline that.

most young and upcoming scrumhalves need to play to develop.. and leinster's young 9's just haven't played enough rugby at any level to develop further.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Not sure if Osborne featuring on the bench ahead of HOS indicates much about their futures at leinster but somewhat surprising to see he has overtaken him in recent weeks.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

I wouldnt be surprised if both of them left with McCarthy coming back. Might aswel give Foley the gametime as 4th and see if they fancy him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm I wouldnt be surprised if both of them left with McCarthy coming back. Might aswel give Foley the gametime as 4th and see if they fancy him.
I would be surprised if they only had 4 contracted scrumhalves next season.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Jonny tight lips wrote: March 5th, 2021, 2:23 pm I wouldnt be surprised if both of them left with McCarthy coming back. Might aswel give Foley the gametime as 4th and see if they fancy him.
I would be surprised if they only had 4 contracted scrumhalves next season.
With at the very least one Munster 9 locked into an Irish 23 I doubt there's any chance 2 Leinster 9s will be with Ireland.