Backrow going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Backrow going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

Van der Flier has never really been known as a big ball-carrier but he explains that he has been working on it with Leinster coaches Stuart Lancaster, Robin McBryde, and Hugh Hogan.

“It’s something I’ve looked to try to improve,” explains the 27-year-old. “I had a good chat with Stuart and Robin about my ball-carrying and things I can improve.

“I’ve been trying to get on the ball a bit more. Sometimes I can find myself hitting a lot of rucks and I suppose it’s looking to get myself into that position of being a main ball-carrier.

“I mean, I’d be happy enough being an outside option for someone or running lines out in the backline but it’s been good to get some ball in hand and it’s something I’ve been working on as well as with Hugh Hogan.

“Running onto the ball and trying to be as powerful as I can is something I continue to work on, it’s definitely something I can get better at. It’s been a focus and it’s been great to get some carries under my belt as well.”

In Ireland camp, new forwards coach Paul O’Connell has also been encouraging van der Flier around his ball-carrying.

“Paul mentioned it as something that had gone well for me throughout the season and he said to keep working on that side of the game,” says van der Flier.

“Something Paulie had focused on with us was working on our strengths because you can get into habits of always looking at what you didn’t do well and working on that. He was very much driving that if you are good at tackling, then work on your tackling and try to be the best that you can on those kind of things.

“So we had a bit of a chat around ball carrying, with John Fogarty as well. We had a few good discussions on different ways to carry and how I could improve my game. That was something I worked on throughout camp as well.”

https://www.the42.ie/josh-van-der-flier ... 6-Apr2021/
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:24 am Van der Flier has never really been known as a big ball-carrier but he explains that he has been working on it with Leinster coaches Stuart Lancaster, Robin McBryde, and Hugh Hogan.

“It’s something I’ve looked to try to improve,” explains the 27-year-old. “I had a good chat with Stuart and Robin about my ball-carrying and things I can improve.

“I’ve been trying to get on the ball a bit more. Sometimes I can find myself hitting a lot of rucks and I suppose it’s looking to get myself into that position of being a main ball-carrier.

“I mean, I’d be happy enough being an outside option for someone or running lines out in the backline but it’s been good to get some ball in hand and it’s something I’ve been working on as well as with Hugh Hogan.

“Running onto the ball and trying to be as powerful as I can is something I continue to work on, it’s definitely something I can get better at. It’s been a focus and it’s been great to get some carries under my belt as well.”

In Ireland camp, new forwards coach Paul O’Connell has also been encouraging van der Flier around his ball-carrying.

“Paul mentioned it as something that had gone well for me throughout the season and he said to keep working on that side of the game,” says van der Flier.

“Something Paulie had focused on with us was working on our strengths because you can get into habits of always looking at what you didn’t do well and working on that. He was very much driving that if you are good at tackling, then work on your tackling and try to be the best that you can on those kind of things.

“So we had a bit of a chat around ball carrying, with John Fogarty as well. We had a few good discussions on different ways to carry and how I could improve my game. That was something I worked on throughout camp as well.”

https://www.the42.ie/josh-van-der-flier ... 6-Apr2021/
putting CJ Stander on his arse is no mean feat - so well done all involved. I'm still enjoying that one tbh :happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

His progress helped to make up his mind to prolong his stay in Dublin, rather than look for more game-time elsewhere in Ireland.

He said: “It was a pretty easy decision, I love playing here. I supported Leinster all my life, it’s great to play for the province you supported growing up.

“I’m only 21, I know there’s a lot of good back rows in Leinster — especially in the openside flanker position — but I back my ability and getting these big games under my belt will be a good process for me to get ahead of the other flankers.”
Scott Penny. :clap: