2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschool wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:07 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 6:59 pm the rumour mill says Jason Jenkins could move east.
Wales or Exeter would seem to fit that bill.
Cornwall too if you want to include the pirates.
La Rochelle? Bordeaux?
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 6:59 pm the rumour mill says Jason Jenkins could move east.
Is this the same rumour mill that gave you the “bad vibe” about Dan Sheehan?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 8:48 pm
There was significant discussion around Sheehan moving to Munster. They definitely expressed an interest in making that happen.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

the spoofer wrote: January 17th, 2022, 8:56 pm
There was significant discussion around Sheehan moving to Munster. They definitely expressed an interest in making that happen.
I’m sorry but you’re missing my point.

Munster met with Dan Sheehan but Sheehan decided to sign a two year extension with Leinster. All sorted before Christmas.

So why would somebody post that they were getting a “bad vibe” about Dan Sheehan on January 12th? His future had been sorted out weeks beforehand.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:31 pm

Munster met with Dan Sheehan but Sheehan decided to sign a two year extension with Leinster. All sorted before Christmas.

So why would somebody post that they were getting a “bad vibe” about Dan Sheehan on January 12th? His future had been sorted out weeks beforehand.
maybe he wasn't aware that the contract had been signed?

that's fair enough, no?
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:33 pm
elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:31 pm

maybe he wasn't aware that the contract had been signed?

that's fair enough right?
If a player signs a contract extension before Christmas then why would anybody be giving off a “bad vibe” weeks later?
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

“…IRFU/Nucifora want him elsewhere” - posted regarding Dan Sheehan on January 12th.

Dan Sheehan had signed a contract extension before Christmas which the IRFU/Nucifora would have been fully aware of.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:48 pm “…IRFU/Nucifora want him elsewhere” - posted regarding Dan Sheehan on January 12th.

Dan Sheehan had signed a contract extension before Christmas which the IRFU/Nucifora would have been fully aware of.
if you don't think IRFU/Nucifora wanted him elsewhere, I dunno what to tell you, no one forces you to read my posts, by all means put me on ignore.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:53 pm
elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:48 pm “…IRFU/Nucifora want him elsewhere” - posted regarding Dan Sheehan on January 12th.

if you don't think IRFU/Nucifora wanted him elsewhere, I dunno what to tell you, no one forces you to read my posts, by all means put me on ignore.
You posted that on January 12th.

I don’t doubt that the IRFU/Nucifora would have preferred Sheehan to move but the issue had been settled before Christmas. Put to bed by Sheehan himself signing a two year extension with Leinster.

So why post that on January 12th?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A Leinster contract is written in chalk.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

blockhead wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:36 am
wixfjord wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:28 am Should be interesting to see what sort of names we come up with for a NIQ second row signing. Not a huge amount of really top class options out there given the RWC cycle is closing in you'd imagine.

The Premiership might be a good hunting ground if teams are looking to reduce the salary cap. Vaea Fifita already gone to Scarlets.

In term of proper 6'7 / 19 stone sized TH locks with a good profile:

De Jager would obviously be a great option. Not sure his contract status.

Another might be David Ribbans from Saints. Not as high profile but a serious operator, 26, right size profile and hasn't been capped

In Japen, you've the likes of Tuipolotu who's on sabbatical so likely not an option, and Mostert who might be.

In France Rory Arnold from Toulouse fits the bill and Janse Van Rensburg of Montpellier has the size and age profile.

Ezebeth again would be a dream option but no idea of his status.

Or there's a big ex Wallaby lock at Bordeaux who seems good. Kane Douglas I think his name is...
Whose the last megastar that Leinster signed? Thorn?
We deserve an Ezebeth.
Singing Nacewa in 2015 was definitely signing a megastar!

I guess it depends on your definition of megastar.
Could argue for Fardy, quite an experienced international lock, or maybe Lote Toquiri...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:57 pm

I don’t doubt that the IRFU/Nucifora would have preferred Sheehan to move but the issue had been settled before Christmas. Put to bed by Sheehan himself signing a two year extension with Leinster.

Given the speed Sheehan can move at, I wouldn't rule time dilation out
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:08 pm
Oldschool wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:07 pm
Wales or Exeter would seem to fit that bill.
Cornwall too if you want to include the pirates.
Not that far east.
Don't say any more or you'll get the forum sued
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:57 pm

Have you a vested interest to declare here Elephantman?
Otherwise what's the point of badgering someone about something they feared would happen.
Nobody here wants every Leinster academy (and sub-academy, and former schools player) graduate to thrive and succeed at Leinster more than Mildy.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I haven't seen much of Jenkins play but I'd be negative about the thoughts of him coming.

He was a safe bet signing closely tied to the Bulls and van Graan. He followed the money early in his career going to Japan which does raise some questions around his drive to win. He's had a string of injuries since joining Munster and he was the right guy to play the game they've been playing, which is not good.

If Munster aren't extending his contract why would we be a better destination? If he wants to play for Munster and they want him but Nucifora is blocking it then it sets off even more alarm bells. If he didn't settle in Munster with their SA cohort then we shouldn't expect any better.

He just doesn't fit the profile of the sort of signing we've succeeded with like Cullen, Fardy, Hines or Thorn. More of a Sykes or Douglas. Not all experience is the same, we need proven winners (if we need anyone).
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I don't really get it. Dunne has probably bulked up by about 10 kilos since that impressive performance off the bench in 2019. Surely it takes time to get back to having the same mobility while carrying that extra bulk? I'd imagine there could be a period where you'd almost have to relearn how to be effective in contact. That means needing to rack up significant gametime. Is it not worth investing that gametime in him? Because if he came good as a tighthead power lock Leinster could get a decade or more out of him, which is a lot longer than any NIQ would be allowed to stay.

I suppose we'll see what happens. Only time will tell if it's another Beirne situation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exeter-s ... ack-dunne/

Jack Dunne & Charlie Ryan linked to exeter.

Inevitable that if leinster are going to sign a NIQ TH lock that the young ones will look to move and play some rugby.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by mildlyinterested

Inevitable that if leinster are going to sign a NIQ TH lock that the young ones will look to move and play some rugby.

Makes sense that Connacht are going after Dunne. With Bradshaw staying in France an IQ second row is high on the list with Dillane leaving.

P.S I don't even remember that we had signed Owen Finnegan. Apparently he played 24 times for us though. Wouldn't consider that a flop.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:00 am
by mildlyinterested

Makes sense that Connacht are going after Dunne. With Bradshaw staying in France an IQ second row is high on the list with Dillane leaving.

P.S I don't even remember that we had signed Owen Finnegan. Apparently he played 24 times for us though. Wouldn't consider that a flop.
He wasn't very good. Most of those appearances were off the bench. He had been a very good player but by the time he joined us he was in bad shape from the various injuries he'd picked up in his career and all his dynamism had gone.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:00 am
by mildlyinterested

His greatest achievement was a head clash with a ref who was riding Leinster that resulted in the ref having to be replaced!