2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by Theleinsterlad »

erskinechilders wrote: February 26th, 2022, 9:27 am I thought Joe McCarthy was excellent last night in the loose. Some of his carrying & cleanout work was seriously impressive. Dunne is a monster too. The effing size of him when he was warming up behind the goal. I think the rumoured move to Exeter would actually benefit him massively. They play a very abrasive game which could teach him a thing or two. If he learns from the likes of Gray we could get him back a much better player.
Pity he doesn’t know how to use it in the open
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

I didn't catch the game. It's good to hear Joe McCarthy looked good. I suppose he's always going to be fired up against opposition wearing red.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

really impressed with Joe McCarthy through two games, ideally he'd be a bit taller but once he fills out he could be a special player IMO.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:59 am really impressed with Joe McCarthy through two games, ideally he'd be a bit taller but once he fills out he could be a special player IMO.
How tall is he?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: March 4th, 2022, 11:21 am
mildlyinterested wrote: March 4th, 2022, 10:59 am really impressed with Joe McCarthy through two games, ideally he'd be a bit taller but once he fills out he could be a special player IMO.
How tall is he?
Listed at 6'6 but probably just under that.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I thought Dunne bulked too much too fast and lost a lot of what made him so promising. He was so fast to bounce back on his feet and get back into position. Maybe gametime will eventually solve that but it's no good if you can't get there through form and injuries.

I wouldn't want McCarthy to do the same thing.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Dunne has size and agility but McCarthy is a bit of a brute. I can see him being in Ireland contention after the world cup.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

McCarthy was a revelation last weekend. His explosive bursts from breakdowns were the most startling revelation to me. His line-out, mauling and clear-outs are already top notch. I wouldn't be surprised to see even faster progress upward, if he can maintain that form till the end of the Season.

BTW, his stats suggest he is almost the exact same dimensions as PO'C - when he finished his national career.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 4th, 2022, 2:20 pm McCarthy was a revelation last weekend. His explosive bursts from breakdowns were the most startling revelation to me. His line-out, mauling and clear-outs are already top notch. I wouldn't be surprised to see even faster progress upward, if he can maintain that form till the end of the Season.

BTW, his stats suggest he is almost the exact same dimensions as PO'C - when he finished his national career.
well he is much heavier than POC, who said he was never heavier than 112kg.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Is Spicer seen as a big prospect? I recently watched him in the schools cup, where he played well and couldn't believe how big he was. Its very rare you get a specimen like that at that age.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Keith wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:11 pm Is Spicer seen as a big prospect? I recently watched him in the schools cup, where he played well and couldn't believe how big he was. Its very rare you get a specimen like that at that age.
Oh his hype train is full steam ahead
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Laighin Break wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:45 pm
Keith wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:11 pm Is Spicer seen as a big prospect? I recently watched him in the schools cup, where he played well and couldn't believe how big he was. Its very rare you get a specimen like that at that age.
For anyone interested, he should be playing in dynamite black and white next Tuesday at 15.00 in Donnybrook vs Newbridge.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: March 4th, 2022, 6:39 pm
Laighin Break wrote: March 4th, 2022, 5:45 pm
For anyone interested, he should be playing in dynamite black and white next Tuesday at 15.00 in Donnybrook vs Newbridge.
I thought newbridge where black and white and dynamite?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

If McCarthy keeps it up, i can't see him being in the academy next season.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Even accounting for Jenkins, we desperately need another second row in the main squad, he has almost certainly played himself into a senior deal.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

These 6 would work well:

Ross Molony(28)
James Ryan(26)
Jason Jenkins(26)
Ryan Baird(23)
Brian Deeny(22)
Joe McCarthy(21)
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Need Deeny to come through. Unlucky with injury this year. I’m still slightly concerned about depth; If Ryan, Baird and Molony are in the national squad, we’re a bit thin
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Molony wont be away with ireland very often.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Didn’t take much to get to Treadwell in the 6N. In a couple years as Ahern, Murray etc mature the window may close.

Sororal is worth considering on the depth chart.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 7th, 2022, 10:15 pm These 6 would work well:

Ross Molony(28)
James Ryan(26)
Jason Jenkins(26)
Ryan Baird(23)
Brian Deeny(22)
Joe McCarthy(21)
Is it confirmed Dev is retiring? I know it's likely, and he hasn't played many minutes lately, and that his contract is up.