2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by johng »

You have to be born in the country or have a parent or grandparent that was.

If you do though the "stand down period" is only 3 years
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Ah that makes sense, cheers lads.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Keith wrote: January 20th, 2022, 7:34 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 20th, 2022, 7:28 am
Keith wrote: January 20th, 2022, 7:16 am With the new elegibility rules, does Jenkins qualify for Ireland after 3 years here? Or does he have to complete 5 years now?
He has played for south africa so cant qualify
Is there not a stand down period that players can complete now in order to represent a 2nd test nation?
Yes, but they need to have a parent or grandparent from that second nation. If you've already represented one country you can't qualify for a second one through residency.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Yesterday was a doubly bad day for Ross Moloney then.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

outcast eddie wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:49 am Yesterday was a doubly bad day for Ross Moloney then.
I don't think it was - Ross is still only 27 - thats like 20 in back years - and year on year is getting better and better. With the departure of Quinn Roux and the retirement of Billy Holland he is pretty much the only lock of his type in Ireland. He'll be more likely to be missing Leinster games due to national squad duties than to Jason Jenkins I reckon.
I have Bumbleflex
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:55 am
outcast eddie wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:49 am Yesterday was a doubly bad day for Ross Moloney then.
I don't think it was - Ross is still only 27 - thats like 20 in back years - and year on year is getting better and better. With the departure of Quinn Roux and the retirement of Billy Holland he is pretty much the only lock of his type in Ireland. He'll be more likely to be missing Leinster games due to national squad duties than to Jason Jenkins I reckon.
What are your thoughts on the JJ signing Dave?

I don't know much about him to be honest so I'm sort of on the fence atm. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt though
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

fwiw Jenkins played TH lock in his sole appearance for Munster this season.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

If Jenkins gets in ahead of any of the trio of Ryan, Baird and Molony for the big games than he will have to be doing very well for me in a performance sense so that will improve our team. If he doesn’t make the big games he will be a big plus for the games where we are losing 2-3 locks to Ireland and covering for injuries. It increases our experience as well so it won’t all fall on Ryan and Molony going forward. He’s another option to throw in with a Baird, Soroka or a McCarthy pairing going forward for a game we are missing others.

He’s not a huge signing but that has increasingly become the Leinster modus operandi, he is obviously rated by people who matter (lots of different coaches) if it ends up he’s not good enough to displace our Irish guys but adds to our squad I’ll be happy enough because at the end of the day I love seeing the Irish young lads come through. If he’s more successful for us than he has been for Munster I’ll f%~king love it I have to say :lol:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Keith wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:12 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:10 pm
ronk wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:54 pm Cullen normally does his homework before signings so he deserves trust. But we're talking about a privately funded van Graan signing who Munster aren't extending. Every alarm bell is screaming.

Last time we made a signing I had reservations about (but trusted) was Tomane. He wasn't a disaster or anything, he wasn't a success either.

Munster fans are way too happy to be losing a supposedly good player and I can't shake the suspicion that Nucifora is pushing us to sign him.
The Munster guys I work with are happy alright but it has nothing to do with the quality of the player. They feel Leinster fans gave it to Munster when they signed Jenkins as it was perceived he was blocking young Munster locks. Now they feel the boots on the other foot.
Jenkins isn't blocking anyone though? Has anyone actually seen this guy play? He must have some quality in order to get even one cap in the 2nd row in this day and age.
http://en.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/match/298890.html
They tossed him a qualifying cap in Washington in June against Wales, and they lost.

de Allende would fit the same Jenkins narrative but there'd be war if we signed him (I don't want him btw). They're thrilled to keep a guy injured for 2 years in the same position. Munster fans don't rate him and never really got properly excited about him.

I hope he proves them wrong. It would be all the sweeter if he had a Rocky season and we won the Heineken Cup.

Leinster have good locks but none of them are huge. Lock is a position where experience counts. Leo Cullen's winning attitude and drive was important for Leinster making the step to Heineken Cup winner.

Jenkins is clearly a rated player but he's someone who went off to Japan at 21/22 and is now 26. He doesn't have experience slogging it out in England, France or international rugby, and he plays on the wrong side of the scrum. Maybe Leo has a plan to use him a little differently and to combine power with mobility slightly differently.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

I could get clobbered for saying this and likely dunne will prove me wrong in the coming years and come great at Exeter (which I really hope he does) but I honestly have been underwhelmed by his progress over the years and alway felt he ran around the pitch like a headless horseman - and while he has an engine and power to back it up didn’t ever seem to be able to use it. So if your a coach and you’ve had several years with him to get it right maybe it is time for paths to separate.

On the point of Jenkins, I don’t really care where he comes from but his starting physique has me interested in what our coaching team could do with him to turn him into an top lock. I think many hear forget the culture that now exists in Leinster. You come and earn your crust or your back out. Leinster is a work hard play hard environment and they all want to win, this guy will either buy in or not.

When I saw the news I was like dunno but mildy and wixford as happens most times your posts are bang on point.

Let’s give him a chance to win us over on the pitch before burning him at the stake!
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

ronk wrote: January 20th, 2022, 10:48 am
LeinsterLeader wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:10 pm

The Munster guys I work with are happy alright but it has nothing to do with the quality of the player. They feel Leinster fans gave it to Munster when they signed Jenkins as it was perceived he was blocking young Munster locks. Now they feel the boots on the other foot.
Jenkins isn't blocking anyone though? Has anyone actually seen this guy play? He must have some quality in order to get even one cap in the 2nd row in this day and age.
They tossed him a qualifying cap in Washington in June against Wales, and they lost.

de Allende would fit the same Jenkins narrative but there'd be war if we signed him (I don't want him btw). They're thrilled to keep a guy injured for 2 years in the same position. Munster fans don't rate him and never really got properly excited about him.

I hope he proves them wrong. It would be all the sweeter if he had a Rocky season and we won the Heineken Cup.

Leinster have good locks but none of them are huge. Lock is a position where experience counts. Leo Cullen's winning attitude and drive was important for Leinster making the step to Heineken Cup winner.

Jenkins is clearly a rated player but he's someone who went off to Japan at 21/22 and is now 26. He doesn't have experience slogging it out in England, France or international rugby, and he plays on the wrong side of the scrum. Maybe Leo has a plan to use him a little differently and to combine power with mobility slightly differently.
Not the worst game to get your first cap in! In all fairness how can Munster fans rate a guy they've never seen play? Who knows he could be a great signing for us, hopefully he gets a bit of gametime before the end of the season with Munster so we can see him in action.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Theleinsterlad wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:35 am I could get clobbered for saying this and likely dunne will prove me wrong in the coming years and come great at Exeter (which I really hope he does) but I honestly have been underwhelmed by his progress over the years and alway felt he ran around the pitch like a headless horseman - and while he has an engine and power to back it up didn’t ever seem to be able to use it. So if your a coach and you’ve had several years with him to get it right maybe it is time for paths to separate.

On the point of Jenkins, I don’t really care where he comes from but his starting physique has me interested in what our coaching team could do with him to turn him into an top lock. I think many hear forget the culture that now exists in Leinster. You come and earn your crust or your back out. Leinster is a work hard play hard environment and they all want to win, this guy will either buy in or not.

When I saw the news I was like dunno but mildy and wixford as happens most times your posts are bang on point.

Let’s give him a chance to win us over on the pitch before burning him at the stake!
Players improve when they come to Leinster.
We have some of the best coaches in the world and some of the best execs in the world backing them up.

I have huge confidence that Leo, McBryce and Stu can take the raw materials this guy has and make him into a very, very good player who can make the rest of the pack better by virtue of taking on a greater workload in the energy sapping stuff and giving us more grunt.

If you look at our potential starting pack against a big side next year, you look at:

Porter, Kelleher, Furlong, Ryan, Jenkins, Doris, VDF, Conan
Sheehan, Healy, Alaalatoa, Baird, Ruddock

If that pack isn't powerful and good enough to compete at the top level then we've a big issue.

Even the idea of freeing up Ryan to play his more natural game is exciting.

The idea of 'he doesn't fit the system' or 'he doesn't play TH lock' is pure red herring stuff imo. What traits does a TH lock need? Power, size and scrum/maul ability. I haven't seen much of Jenkins but I'd wager that a 124kg 6'8 SA lock who has played 50 games for the Bulls can probably make that big leap from wearing jersey 4 to wearing jersey 5.
Last edited by wixfjord on January 20th, 2022, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:39 am
ronk wrote: January 20th, 2022, 10:48 am

Not the worst game to get your first cap in! In all fairness how can Munster fans rate a guy they've never seen play? Who knows he could be a great signing for us, hopefully he gets a bit of gametime before the end of the season with Munster so we can see him in action.
I think this lad is talking through his backside when he says that Munster fans don’t rate him.
Who are these imaginary Munster fans he speaks of?

As a Munster fan, I was honestly looking forward to seeing him in action.
Whilst he wasn’t Munster’s first choice, having been blocked from signing their original target, it was clear that JJ was being signed to add some much needed grunt.

I am also fortunate to know a large number of Munster fans, and I can honestly say that I have never heard a single person say that they didn’t rate JJ.
Most of the comments have been that they can’t wait to see what he can do, because most don’t really know how good or bad he is.

IMO this could be a great bit of business for Leinster. They are getting a big lump to fill a gap that could take Leinster to the next level.
JJ will be available all year because he is unlikely to get an international call, and he is young enough that he could enjoy a 5-6 year spell at Leinster.

From what I hear, he is a really nice lad, has a great work ethic and has that much sought after chip on his shoulder.

I wish him the best of luck, I just hope that he comes good for the business end of this season so that Munster can get some benefit from signing him.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Is it fair to assume the price he just negotiated with Leinster is some way short of the price he negotiated with Munster a year ago because of injury?
It must be sobering for a professional sportsman to have their value plummet so much at such a young age.
Surely he's coming to Dublin on a mission to re-establish his worth and career so motivation shouldn't be an issue.
If he can get an injury free run this could be a good signing.
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

I think this lad is talking through his backside when he says that Munster fans don’t rate him.

Whilst he wasn’t Munster’s first choice, having been blocked from signing their original target, it was clear that JJ was being signed to add some much needed grunt.

I am also fortunate to know a large number of Munster fans, and I can honestly say that I have never heard a single person say that they didn’t rate JJ.
Most of the comments have been that they can’t wait to see what he can do, because most don’t really know how good or bad he is.

IMO this could be a great bit of business for Leinster. They are getting a big lump to fill a gap that could take Leinster to the next level.
JJ will be available all year because he is unlikely to get an international call, and he is young enough that he could enjoy a 5-6 year spell at Leinster.

From what I hear, he is a really nice lad, has a great work ethic and has that much sought after chip on his shoulder.

I wish him the best of luck, I just hope that he comes good for the business end of this season so that Munster can get some benefit from signing him.
[/quote]

The 42.ie article states he is being signed 'ahead' of next season.

I take that to mean he is coming to Leinster before this season, 21/22, ends but I'm open to correction.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

outcast eddie wrote: January 20th, 2022, 12:17 pm

The 42.ie article states he is being signed 'ahead' of next season.

I take that to mean he is coming to Leinster before this season, 21/22, ends but I'm open to correction.
He's cup tied.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 20th, 2022, 9:58 am What are your thoughts on the JJ signing Dave?

I don't know much about him to be honest so I'm sort of on the fence atm. Happy to give him the benefit of the doubt though
I think we should always have a player of this type in our squad. I'm agnostic as to whether it's Jenkins or someone else. Its all well and good throwing about fantasy football names, but those guys aren't coming to Leinster (Brad thorn was a three month off season contract when he had nothing else on to cover for an injury that turned out to not need covering) and in reality, even if you end up with a trophy or two, the money you have to pay for them is questionable in terms of the actual value you get for them.
I have Bumbleflex
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

Someone has been at JJ's Wikipedia page. Image
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

John23 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 1:01 pm Someone has been at JJ's Wikipedia page. Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: January 20th, 2022, 11:58 am

Such visceral disagreement followed up by a huge pile of meh. Wasn't our first choice etc. etc.

We're talking about the first major player to leave with the worry of a coming exodus and by far the most important player to leave Munster for Leinster. At a time when you've been calling for Munster to invest.

van Graan pushed the boat out on Jenkins, and a lot of the pressure he came under came from it. Player he'd worked with, Snymans lock partner at the Bulls. Used external funding in a position that was already strong and had internationals.

Leinster weren't able to outbid Munster on him. Munster have the money, they just think other players are better value. I'll repeat that, big-spending Munster don't think he's worth the money, worth someone else's money.