2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 28th, 2022, 9:00 am
wixfjord wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:51 am Josh is a pretty big loss imo.

Not just as a second row option, but also as a solid, physical, imposing and flexible presence when the internationals are away.

Besides Rhys, he's one of the most physical players we have from 4-8.
agreed, but if it's in his interest to develop where he may get more and better quality gametime then best of luck.
Gutted to see him go, he does so much unseen grunt work a lot like Rhys and I actually really liked the way himself and Ross operated in second row the last couple of games, yes we lost height at line out time but we got great power in the scrum and the rucks got cleaned out so fast with those two running around the place. Great piece of trading by our western brothers
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Theleinsterlad wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:58 am
wixfjord wrote: January 28th, 2022, 8:51 am Josh is a pretty big loss imo.

Not just as a second row option, but also as a solid, physical, imposing and flexible presence when the internationals are away.

Besides Rhys, he's one of the most physical players we have from 4-8.
agreed, but if it's in his interest to develop where he may get more and better quality gametime then best of luck.
Gutted to see him go, he does so much unseen grunt work a lot like Rhys and I actually really liked the way himself and Ross operated in second row the last couple of games, yes we lost height at line out time but we got great power in the scrum and the rucks got cleaned out so fast with those two running around the place. Great piece of trading by our western brothers
I always find the lineout height issue an interesting one. Does 5cm really matter that much? (I was going to use 2 inches but then I knew some of you smutty f%~kers would get involved) I can see how a similarly explosive 6' 7" lad is better than a 6' 5" lad would be better but is the speed in the air, quality of lifters and overall design of the lineout plays not a bigger issue than a little bit more height?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

the spoofer wrote: January 28th, 2022, 11:04 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: January 28th, 2022, 10:58 am

I always find the lineout height issue an interesting one. Does 5cm really matter that much? (I was going to use 2 inches but then I knew some of you smutty f%~kers would get involved) I can see how a similarly explosive 6' 7" lad is better than a 6' 5" lad would be better but is the speed in the air, quality of lifters and overall design of the lineout plays not a bigger issue than a little bit more height?
most 6'5 locks cant carry the same weight as a 6'7 and retain that top tier athleticism.

there isnt many 6'5 locks at the top level of the game outside of a few rare exceptions like AWJ and Itoje.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Some teams play an additional lock at 6 for grunt. Leinster played an extra backrow for 2 games and because we could control the game, we were able to move teams around and Montpellier and Bath couldn't live with the pace.

In a closer contest we might not have held up as well. Murphy is a good and popular player but he has limited enough gametime and he's someone who's putting a medical career on hold for pro rugby, he'll want to play. I'm happy to keep him but Connacht would really benefit.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Lood de Jager? Anyone
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

blockhead wrote: February 7th, 2022, 12:02 pm Lood de Jager? Anyone
Two things I heard about him (neither might be true though). 1) He is constantly injured (or injured a lot) and 2) He's looking for huge money and because of this Toulouse are top of the queue.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

fantasy signing that would never happen.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Assuming that we have actually signed Jenkins then we are out of the market for an elite lock.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: February 7th, 2022, 1:53 pm Assuming that we have actually signed Jenkins then we are out of the market for an elite lock.
Yep, leaving aside a fluke situation (like Hines), any business that was going to be done has been done.
I have Bumbleflex
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

He’s a little overrated in my opinion. A good player but not a great player. Injury profile isn’t great either.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

So Etzebeth confirmed to be leaving Toulon.

While the "personal reasons" he cited could be a genuine desire to return to South Africa, I think it's more likely he doesn't want to play under that absolute head case he calls a boss who is happy to publicly shame his own players.

Pipe dream? Absolutely

Likely to play for Leinster? Absolutely not

A player who'd really get us stepped up to the next level? You betcha.

One can dream. I assume Easterby/ Dawson/ whoever else recruits has at least called their agent to see what price he'd be
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I wouldn't want Leinster to sign someone who shows such a lack of committment. He's very very expensive and even at maximum effort he's a stretch in terms of value.

I wouldn't take a risk on someone who's phoning it in, allegedly. That's not how we sign players.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Kremer would be a quality signing in the Fardy mould. Would also be pricey though, i imagine.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 7th, 2022, 12:54 pm
Two things I heard about him (neither might be true though). 1) He is constantly injured (or injured a lot) and 2) He's looking for huge money and because of this Toulouse are top of the queue.
And that he's away with the Boks a lot. Fardy was a great signing because he had quality, leadership, was decent value and was always available. Not sure he was as fully appreciated as he should have been.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Flash Gordon wrote: February 14th, 2022, 3:00 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: February 7th, 2022, 12:54 pm
And that he's away with the Boks a lot. Fardy was a great signing because he had quality, leadership, was decent value and was always available. Not sure he was as fully appreciated as he should have been.
I thought Fardy was absolutely great, an amazing player and presence in the squad. One of our best ever NIE players. Five trophies in four years, Pro14 Dream Team in three of those, captained the team on a good few occasions ... the guy was outstanding for us as both a person and a player.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

hugonaut wrote: February 14th, 2022, 7:34 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: February 14th, 2022, 3:00 pm
LeinsterLeader wrote: February 7th, 2022, 12:54 pm Two things I heard about him (neither might be true though). 1) He is constantly injured (or injured a lot) and 2) He's looking for huge money and because of this Toulouse are top of the queue.
I thought Fardy was absolutely great, an amazing player and presence in the squad. One of our best ever NIE players. Five trophies in four years, Pro14 Dream Team in three of those, captained the team on a good few occasions ... the guy was outstanding for us as both a person and a player.
If you could,
Fardy, Hines, Rocky or Thorn?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Etzebeth wants to go back to South Africa.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote: February 14th, 2022, 8:05 pmIf you could,
Fardy, Hines, Rocky or Thorn?
At their best Thorn is what we need most.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

neiliog93 wrote: February 14th, 2022, 11:49 pm Etzebeth wants to go back to South Africa.
Good. The more Bok frontliners playing in the URC the better!!!
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I thought Joe McCarthy was excellent last night in the loose. Some of his carrying & cleanout work was seriously impressive. Dunne is a monster too. The effing size of him when he was warming up behind the goal. I think the rumoured move to Exeter would actually benefit him massively. They play a very abrasive game which could teach him a thing or two. If he learns from the likes of Gray we could get him back a much better player.