2nd Row going forward

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by the spoofer »

blockhead wrote: September 7th, 2022, 3:36 pm Locks details from URC.
Baird-1.98m/6'6" 113kg/17st 11lb
Deeny-1.98m/6'6" 118kg/18st 8lb
Jenkins-2.03m/6'8" 124kg/19st 7lb
McCarthy-1.98m/6'6" 119kg/18st 10lb
Molony-1.98m/6'6" 116kg/18st 3lb
C. Ryan-2.01m/6'7" 115kg/18st 1lb
J. Ryan-2.01m/6'7" 115kg/18st 1lb
I don't believe there is less than a stone between Deeny and Jenkins. Jenkins is huge.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Want to see Ryan at 4 and Jenkins at 5 in a few big games this season.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

wixfjord wrote: September 8th, 2022, 12:35 pm Want to see Ryan at 4 and Jenkins at 5 in a few big games this season.
The Problem for JJ is that if he doesn't turn out to be the son of Will Skelton, for a lot of people he may not get a chance and I don't think he is 'that guy'. I think he's a beast but a different beast to WS. He may not work out in the end but I hope he's given a chance and not written off straight away just because he doesn't go barging down the field with 5 tacklers on his back

....although obviously that would be nice too, if he could manage it!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 8th, 2022, 12:48 pm
wixfjord wrote: September 8th, 2022, 12:35 pm Want to see Ryan at 4 and Jenkins at 5 in a few big games this season.
The Problem for JJ is that if he doesn't turn out to be the son of Will Skelton, for a lot of people he may not get a chance and I don't think he is 'that guy'. I think he's a beast but a different beast to WS. He may not work out in the end but I hope he's given a chance and not written off straight away just because he doesn't go barging down the field with 5 tacklers on his back

....although obviously that would be nice too, if he could manage it!
Some wrote him off before the signing was even announced.

I think he had a good cameo on Fri which was a good start. Looked fitter and quicker to move than before.
If he continues on that trajectory and can have an impact against the type of sides we need him for (top end SA, English & French teams) then he'll be a really shrewd signing.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Definitely, me too. I think that's why we went into the market, to get a sizeable tighthead lock to allow James Ryan to move across to the left hand side of the partnership. I don't expect Jenkins to be picking up minutes here and there as he did at Munster – I expect him to get the selector's backing and be in there from the start.

We need to have the option of a strongman in the secondrow; not just in Europe, but against SA teams as well. Joe used Damian Browne successfully as part of a platoon with Dev, and that is how I would see Jenkins being used at the start. If he has a limited role in the gameplan at first, that's okay. If he's doing 45-50 minutes, that's okay – we have the backup in that position through McCarthy [especially] and Molony.

I'm not a fan of the 8-man bench, but it's not going away anytime soon, and we need to use it better. It's not at all important to me if Jenkins can't go 80 minutes, or even 60 minutes – get as much impact as you can from that big frame, and then get the reliever on.

Now, we need Jenkins to improve on what he showed for Munster, but he will be surrounded by better players, he will be coached better, and hopefully he can stay injury free.

On a sidenote, Ryan is first and foremost an Irish player, and I think we're going to have our first team Irish lads pulled quite a lot this season in order for Farrell to have them primed for RWC23. So I think that Ross Molony is still going to be a very important player for us.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

hugonaut wrote: September 8th, 2022, 2:17 pm
Definitely, me too. I think that's why we went into the market, to get a sizeable tighthead lock to allow James Ryan to move across to the left hand side of the partnership. I don't expect Jenkins to be picking up minutes here and there as he did at Munster – I expect him to get the selector's backing and be in there from the start.

We need to have the option of a strongman in the secondrow; not just in Europe, but against SA teams as well. Joe used Damian Browne successfully as part of a platoon with Dev, and that is how I would see Jenkins being used at the start. If he has a limited role in the gameplan at first, that's okay. If he's doing 45-50 minutes, that's okay – we have the backup in that position through McCarthy [especially] and Molony.

I'm not a fan of the 8-man bench, but it's not going away anytime soon, and we need to use it better. It's not at all important to me if Jenkins can't go 80 minutes, or even 60 minutes – get as much impact as you can from that big frame, and then get the reliever on.

Now, we need Jenkins to improve on what he showed for Munster, but he will be surrounded by better players, he will be coached better, and hopefully he can stay injury free.

On a sidenote, Ryan is first and foremost an Irish player, and I think we're going to have our first team Irish lads pulled quite a lot this season in order for Farrell to have them primed for RWC23. So I think that Ross Molony is still going to be a very important player for us.
I was delighted to see Ross with a fair bit of "bite" last season cause he is the nicest lad you'd meet off the pitch. He still has a good 7 years left at the top level and will continue to be an important player for us. It's a real pity that he isn't 8-10KG heavier.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Jenkins ahead of McCarthy? I suppose we'll see how they both perform, but my gut is telling me I'd be disappointed to see that.

Wouldn't be ideal for Ireland either.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

leinsterforever wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:51 pm Jenkins ahead of McCarthy? I suppose we'll see how they both perform, but my gut is telling me I'd be disappointed to see that.

Maybe Jenkins can teach McCarthy how to be big?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

leinsterforever wrote: September 8th, 2022, 8:51 pm Jenkins ahead of McCarthy? I suppose we'll see how they both perform, but my gut is telling me I'd be disappointed to see that.

If McCarthy plays better than Jenkins, that's great. I think a very big majority of Leinster fans are happy when the team goes form's way.

But it's worth bearing in mind that Joe is 21 and has only played 14 senior games, whereas Jenkins is 26 and has played 100+ professional games. That's five extra years of S&C, five extra years of on-pitch experience ... those are big advantages, particularly in the tight five positions.

Once players are contracted for Leinster and perform well, I'll get behind them regardless of what nationality they are. I'm not one of those people who want us to play 23 guys who have come through the Leinster Academy in every game. It's obvious that there's a great rugby culture in the province, it's obvious that we have a great academy ... I don't need that particular tag of affirmation, that bragging right. I like when we have two or three guys from different cultures who can come in and contribute off the runway, have a good experience with Leinster, help us win trophies and fulfil their own potential.

Whether we go Jenkins 50/30 McCarthy or the other way around isn't any sort of issue to me. It's more important [in my eyes] that we adapt our game to the realities of how rugby is currently legislated and allow big, heavy, players to use their particular strengths and blow themselves out, then replace them early.
Last edited by hugonaut on September 9th, 2022, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think Jenkins could end up being a bit of a Nick Williams - a physical freak show who was useless for Munster and then superb for another Irish province.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

shame that Alan Spicer missed the u18 interpros.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

hugonaut wrote: September 8th, 2022, 9:48 pm

If McCarthy plays better than Jenkins, that's great. I think a very big majority of Leinster fans are happy when the team goes form's way.

But it's worth bearing in mind that Joe is 21 and has only played 14 senior games, whereas Jenkins is 26 and has played 100+ professional games. That's five extra years of S&C, five extra years of on-pitch experience ... those are big advantages, particularly in the tight five positions.

Once players are contracted for Leinster and perform well, I'll get behind them regardless of what nationality they are. I'm not one of those people who want us to play 23 guys who have come through the Leinster Academy in every game. It's obvious that there's a great rugby culture in the province, it's obvious that we have a great academy ... I don't need that particular tag of affirmation, that bragging right. I like when we have two or three guys from different cultures who can come in and contribute off the runway, have a good experience with Leinster, help us win trophies and fulfil their own potential.

Whether we go Jenkins 50/30 McCarthy or the other way around isn't any sort of issue to me. It's more important [in my eyes] that we adapt our game to the realities of how rugby is currently legislated and allow big, heavy, players to use their particular strengths and blow themselves out, then replace them early.
I wasn't really thinking of the homegrown versus foreigner angle. I suppose maybe it's a small part of it. We all have our sort of inherent biases. But I was just thinking... the type of player McCarthy is, and the trajectory he's on... I'd love to see him get a clear run at it. Only 14 senior games, and he's already been in two Ireland squads and played twice for the national team (albeit in non-capped games). I reckon he's in a battle with Treadwell for the last lock spot in the World Cup squad. With a 33-man squad I think it'll probably be 10 locks/backrowers going - two players for each of the back five of the pack positions.

Is he more impressive in the tight stuff than Jenkins? Based on what I've seen I would say 'yes'. The Leinster maul looked like far more of a weapon with him leading the way last season, and he knows how to use his weight effectively. How he jammed in behind Deegan for the latter's try away to Ulster last season was reminiscent of Thorn. I haven't seen an enormous amount of Jenkins, admittedly, so that's the caveat when saying McCarthy is more impressive.

but, yeah. Wait and see how they both perform, I suppose.
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

From what Ive seen, McCarthy looks a solid player, huge potential. Jenkins needs to grow into that enforcer role, hes the same size as Skelton, so he should be throwing guys around like Skelton. I havent seen him do that yet.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

mildlyinterested wrote: September 9th, 2022, 9:30 am shame that Alan Spicer missed the u18 interpros.
Is he injured?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Experimental wrote: September 9th, 2022, 10:10 pm From what Ive seen, McCarthy looks a solid player, huge potential. Jenkins needs to grow into that enforcer role, hes the same size as Skelton, so he should be throwing guys around like Skelton. I havent seen him do that yet.
He's a lot lighter than Skelton.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

OneLungDavy wrote: September 9th, 2022, 11:13 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: September 9th, 2022, 9:30 am shame that Alan Spicer missed the u18 interpros.
Is he injured?
presumably
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Murray K has an excellent piece of analysis on Jenkins first two games in The42.ie newsletter this week.

He points out in great detail Jenkins impact on our maul and particularly his ability to create an edge and manipulate his body to the front of the maul, taking out opposing players and shielding our ball carrier.

His efforts for Sheehan's fourth try is a good example of this. Watch his body shape and where he finishes up.

Some of the stuff said about Jenkins when he signed on here was an absolute joke.

But I don't think anyone would've predicted his significant impact in his first two games. If he keeps it up and keeps fit he'll be an incredible weapon for us.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Its a shame mccarthy isnt as big as Jenkins.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think a lot of posters said it’d be great for us to add size/power to the pack, great that it looks like we’ll be vindicated, not that that’s the important thing of course but others said it wasn’t a good idea because a player like that wouldn’t suit our attack IIRC.

A good start, hope he stays fit and keeps it up.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Good to see, Belvedere College 2nd row Alan Spicer back playing after missing the schools interpros last month.

https://www.gpfoto.ie/p847239694