Leo Cullen

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

plus as toulon have mentioned he rarely plays club rugby
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:59 am plus as toulon have mentioned he rarely plays club rugby
Yep, a Fardy type option would be better for us. Top quality experienced international who won't be playing international rugby.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

George Kruis may be a good option.
He is an experienced international but as he is out of favour he would be available throughout the full season.

I heard recently that he was looking for a move.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

If it's silly season we should start with Will Skelton.

If we need a jumbo lock let's get a jumbo lock and skip the half measures.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Not a great time to be looking for locks. Lood would be good.

If you were going for a Fardy type, Kremer would be awesome.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leinster have 5 locks are are likely to lose 2. 3 next year plus possibly Soroka.

Munster have 6 locks are aren't losing any yet but will probably release Jenkins.

I think there's a genuine case there for Ahern who has been so badly underused at Munster and would be able to form a partnership with Ryan. If the IRFU were to put up roadblocks I'd have to say that they should flat out stop poaching. If not now, when?

Even letting Munster continue with Jenkins and moving Ahern would be good business.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Have to say, I always liked Gavin Thornbury, would love to see him come back to Leinster. Probably not the profile they are looking for but a very good player.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

ronk wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:03 pm Leinster have 5 locks are are likely to lose 2. 3 next year plus possibly Soroka.

Munster have 6 locks are aren't losing any yet but will probably release Jenkins.

I think there's a genuine case there for Ahern who has been so badly underused at Munster and would be able to form a partnership with Ryan. If the IRFU were to put up roadblocks I'd have to say that they should flat out stop poaching. If not now, when?

Even letting Munster continue with Jenkins and moving Ahern would be good business.
The communal apoplexy that this could induce in Munster would have to be notified in advance to the HSE and local hospitals.

I'm not saying your suggestion is wrong, and it could be the slap in the face that Munster have been requesting. However, precedent would indicate that it is highly unlikely. With the exception of Nick McCarthy, very few players have moved directly from Munster to Leinster since Hogan and Keogh nearly 15 years ago. Sure, we've picked up their cast-offs like Reddan, Ross, Fogarty and Cronin (and Ian Nagle I suppose too) and turned most of them into established internationals and regular trophy winners, but in terms of direct moves, I suspect we just aren't allowed.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Apparently Connacht made a move for JD but Exeter look like getting it done.

Also Exeter also looking to take Charlie Ryan too :shock:

Edit: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exeter-s ... ack-dunne/
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on January 17th, 2022, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LeinsterLeader wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:05 pm Apparently Connacht made a move for JD but Exeter look like getting it done.

Also Exeter also looking to take Charlie Ryan too :shock:
Ryan hasn't played rugby in nearly a year, but he'd probably be better off leaving given leinsters unwillingness to play young TH locks.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

joooooe wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:52 pm
ronk wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:03 pm Leinster have 5 locks are are likely to lose 2. 3 next year plus possibly Soroka.

The communal apoplexy that this could induce in Munster would have to be notified in advance to the HSE and local hospitals.

I'm not saying your suggestion is wrong, and it could be the slap in the face that Munster have been requesting. However, precedent would indicate that it is highly unlikely. With the exception of Nick McCarthy, very few players have moved directly from Munster to Leinster since Hogan and Keogh nearly 15 years ago. Sure, we've picked up their cast-offs like Reddan, Ross, Fogarty and Cronin (and Ian Nagle I suppose too) and turned most of them into established internationals and regular trophy winners, but in terms of direct moves, I suspect we just aren't allowed.
Conway, Carbery, McCarthy and Salanoa were all aggressive hostile moves. Loughman went with permission I think. I don't know about Conor Oliver.

Those "cast-off" players had turned their careers around before coming to Leinster. It would be like claiming the same about Beirne, Scarlets get all the credit.

If it's fair game for them to try and take Sheehan, Penny etc. then it's fair that we should try and educate Ahern to the Eastern possibilities.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:28 am Should be interesting to see what sort of names we come up with for a NIQ second row signing. Not a huge amount of really top class options out there given the RWC cycle is closing in you'd imagine.

The Premiership might be a good hunting ground if teams are looking to reduce the salary cap. Vaea Fifita already gone to Scarlets.

In term of proper 6'7 / 19 stone sized TH locks with a good profile:

De Jager would obviously be a great option. Not sure his contract status.

Another might be David Ribbans from Saints. Not as high profile but a serious operator, 26, right size profile and hasn't been capped

In Japen, you've the likes of Tuipolotu who's on sabbatical so likely not an option, and Mostert who might be.

In France Rory Arnold from Toulouse fits the bill and Janse Van Rensburg of Montpellier has the size and age profile.

Ezebeth again would be a dream option but no idea of his status.

Or there's a big ex Wallaby lock at Bordeaux who seems good. Kane Douglas I think his name is...
De Jager is a sicknote. Part of the reason Sale are trying to offload him. Toulon president or coach had similar complaint about Etzebth never being available in part due to injuries and international call ups.

One name mentioned to me on twitter was Ruan Nortje who plays for the Bulls. 23 and on the edge of the Boks squad.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

That would be a great move for Ahern, I hope it's the conversation is happening.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

deco wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:27 pm

That would be a great move for Ahern, I hope it's the conversation is happening.
it almost certainly not.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We don't need another potentially good player - you can't throw a stick in the Leinster Rugby young lock storage cupboard without hitting a potentially good player

We need an actually good player.
I have Bumbleflex
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

wixfjord wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:28 am Should be interesting to see what sort of names we come up with for a NIQ second row signing. Not a huge amount of really top class options out there given the RWC cycle is closing in you'd imagine.

The Premiership might be a good hunting ground if teams are looking to reduce the salary cap. Vaea Fifita already gone to Scarlets.

In term of proper 6'7 / 19 stone sized TH locks with a good profile:

De Jager would obviously be a great option. Not sure his contract status.

Another might be David Ribbans from Saints. Not as high profile but a serious operator, 26, right size profile and hasn't been capped

In Japen, you've the likes of Tuipolotu who's on sabbatical so likely not an option, and Mostert who might be.

In France Rory Arnold from Toulouse fits the bill and Janse Van Rensburg of Montpellier has the size and age profile.

Ezebeth again would be a dream option but no idea of his status.

Or there's a big ex Wallaby lock at Bordeaux who seems good. Kane Douglas I think his name is...
Ribbans would be a terrific signing if Leinster could tempt him away from Northampton. Good age too. Turns 27 in August.

Ribbans is uncapped by South Africa but is eligible for England and may have international ambitions there.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Mostert is a huge work rate LH lock/blindside. Fantastic player but he's not filling the elite level TH lock that Leinster seem to require.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the rumour mill says Jason Jenkins could move east.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 6:59 pm the rumour mill says Jason Jenkins could move east.
Wales or Exeter would seem to fit that bill.
Cornwall too if you want to include the pirates.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote: January 17th, 2022, 7:07 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 17th, 2022, 6:59 pm the rumour mill says Jason Jenkins could move east.
Wales or Exeter would seem to fit that bill.
Cornwall too if you want to include the pirates.
Not that far east.