Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: 2nd Row going forward

Post by Flash Gordon »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:00 am
by mildlyinterested

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exeter-s ... ack-dunne/

Jack Dunne & Charlie Ryan linked to exeter.

Inevitable that if leinster are going to sign a NIQ TH lock that the young ones will look to move and play some rugby.

Makes sense that Connacht are going after Dunne. With Bradshaw staying in France an IQ second row is high on the list with Dillane leaving.

P.S I don't even remember that we had signed Owen Finnegan. Apparently he played 24 times for us though. Wouldn't consider that a flop.
Not a particularly remarkable season for us. Some horrible memories to be honest, foremost being dicked by Wasps in Adam's Park, probably my worst away trip ever. If memory serves that was our last season at Donnybrook.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

elephantman wrote: January 17th, 2022, 9:48 pm “…IRFU/Nucifora want him elsewhere” - posted regarding Dan Sheehan on January 12th.

Dan Sheehan had signed a contract extension before Christmas which the IRFU/Nucifora would have been fully aware of.
There is a precedent of Leinster players who are still in contract going South. I can think of 2 off-hand
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

cormac wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:02 am
by mildlyinterested

Inevitable that if leinster are going to sign a NIQ TH lock that the young ones will look to move and play some rugby.

Makes sense that Connacht are going after Dunne. With Bradshaw staying in France an IQ second row is high on the list with Dillane leaving.

P.S I don't even remember that we had signed Owen Finnegan. Apparently he played 24 times for us though. Wouldn't consider that a flop.
He wasn't very good. Most of those appearances were off the bench. He had been a very good player but by the time he joined us he was in bad shape from the various injuries he'd picked up in his career and all his dynamism had gone.
Most of Finnegan's appearances were in Café en Seine
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

If Toner, Dunne and Ryan leave:

Ages as the start of next season:

Ross Molony(28)
Josh Murphy(27)
James Ryan(26)
Ryan Baird(23)
Brian Deeny(22)
--
Joe McCarthy(21)
Alex Soroka(21)

*incoming mystery NIQ*
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RoboProp wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:14 am
cormac wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:02 am

He wasn't very good. Most of those appearances were off the bench. He had been a very good player but by the time he joined us he was in bad shape from the various injuries he'd picked up in his career and all his dynamism had gone.
Most of Finnegan's appearances were in Café en Seine
:lol: You're not wrong!!!
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Worst game and ground
Was it something like 38-7?
quote="Flash Gordon" post_id=793071 time=1642500721 user_id=81]
by mildlyinterested

Not a particularly remarkable season for us. Some horrible memories to be honest, foremost being dicked by Wasps in Adam's Park, probably my worst away trip ever. If memory serves that was our last season at Donnybrook.
[/quote]
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

leinsterforever wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:51 am I don't really get it. Dunne has probably bulked up by about 10 kilos since that impressive performance off the bench in 2019. Surely it takes time to get back to having the same mobility while carrying that extra bulk? I'd imagine there could be a period where you'd almost have to relearn how to be effective in contact. That means needing to rack up significant gametime. Is it not worth investing that gametime in him? Because if he came good as a tighthead power lock Leinster could get a decade or more out of him, which is a lot longer than any NIQ would be allowed to stay.

I suppose we'll see what happens. Only time will tell if it's another Beirne situation.
It might not bee too late.

I think we fell into the trap of developing him into player we needed rather than the player he was. Which is basically what happened with Beirne. Too injured, not enough chances when not injured, not a good fit for our needs.

But Scarlets used him totally differently and if you look at him now what he offers is different. Exeter can be happy being unfashionable. e.g. Simmonds, when everyone is talking about a monster 8, they have huge success with the exact opposite.

It's the Bill Belichick approach, if tall fast wide receivers are too expensive because everyone wants them, go sign other positions like fullback, tight end, slot receiver, 3rd down running back where talent is underpriced.

Maybe Dunne was/is more of a big Johnny Gray than a Richie Gray, but maybe that wasn't a bad thing.

Leinster are normally flexible, but we really need those steady hands at 9 and 13 and that winning attitude/experience at lock.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Blue not red blood wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:35 pm Worst game and ground
quote="Flash Gordon" post_id=793071 time=1642500721 user_id=81]
by mildlyinterested

[/quote]

They were just much better than us, went on to win the tournament. As you say, an awful ground in the middle of an industrial estate. Lol warmed up the team in front of our fans and took great pleasure in winding us up. 2 Irish players got winners that year, Eoin Reddan and Peter Bracken. Finegan was a late sub in that game.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:21 pm
Blue not red blood wrote: January 18th, 2022, 12:35 pm Worst game and ground
Flash Gordon wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:12 am Not a particularly remarkable season for us. Some horrible memories to be honest, foremost being dicked by Wasps in Adam's Park, probably my worst away trip ever. If memory serves that was our last season at Donnybrook.
They were just much better than us, went on to win the tournament. As you say, an awful ground in the middle of an industrial estate. Lol warmed up the team in front of our fans and took great pleasure in winding us up. 2 Irish players got winners that year, Eoin Reddan and Peter Bracken. Finegan was a late sub in that game.
And the Wasps fans, by the end of the game, were singing "Come on you boys in black"? Bad memories
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Laighin Break

2 Irish players got winners that year, Eoin Reddan and Peter Bracken
Wasn't Johnny O'Connor in that team as well? Remember him getting a terrible neck injury in a final but can't remember which one.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:53 pm
by Laighin Break

Wasn't Johnny O'Connor in that team as well? Remember him getting a terrible neck injury in a final but can't remember which one.
He wasn't playing that day. I always bundle that trip to High Wycombe in with the defeat to Edinburgh the following December. Just two abysmal performances, but at least you can have a decent night out in Edinburgh.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:58 pm
by Laighin Break

He wasn't playing that day. I always bundle that trip to High Wycombe in with the defeat to Edinburgh the following December. Just two abysmal performances, but at least you can have a decent night out in Edinburgh.
And we lost away to Glaws which is a bit of a dump. But yeah, High Wycombe was definitely the worst away trip I've done. On the plus side we won away to Agen (a great town) with no kicker - Girv and Darce were doing the kicking. Finegan again didn't leave the bench that day.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:11 pm

And we lost away to Glaws which is a bit of a dump. But yeah, High Wycombe was definitely the worst away trip I've done. On the plus side we won away to Agen (a great town) with no kicker - Girv and Darce were doing the kicking. Finegan again didn't leave the bench that day.
High Wycombe for the QF of the Challenge Cup in 2012 was well worth the trip though, if only for witnessing Mike Ross score a try!
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

FLIP wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:33 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: January 18th, 2022, 6:11 pm

High Wycombe for the QF of the Challenge Cup in 2012 was well worth the trip though, if only for witnessing Mike Ross score a try!
I remember my Dad overhearing a Wasps fan trying to be positive on the way out "well if you look at it one way, we scored 4 tries against Leinster!!"
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The reaction to this should be hilarious!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Looking at it practically, he's he exact size profile of a guy we need.

Doesn't play TH lock though which is strange.

Leo/Stu wouldn't sign a guy like this unless they were happy he can make a big difference, so I'm excited by his potential I must say.

Injuries are clearly a worry though.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

wixfjord wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:06 pm Looking at it practically, he's he exact size profile of a guy we need.

Leo/Stu wouldn't sign a guy like this unless they were happy he can make a big difference, so I'm excited by his potential I must say.

id be shocked if he doesnt play TH lock.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:07 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 19th, 2022, 6:06 pm Looking at it practically, he's he exact size profile of a guy we need.

id be shocked if he doesnt play TH lock.
Oh he will, I'm just saying he hasn't been playing in the 5 jersey. He clearly has the size profile for it.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

What an incredibly disappointing signing.

A 26 year old who has never hit the big time and is incredibly injury prone…..

Surely we have the budget to get a big name in for once and not waste it on nothing players…. Last time we signed anyone decent was Fardy maybe? How can Munster and Ulster attract these massive names and we get left with leftovers with little potential
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****