Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Tighthead Prop going forward

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:49 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:04 pm
hugonaut wrote: December 17th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Apparently he got five: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/players/greg- ... 40512.html ... who knew?
Was a poor u20s side from memory.
Exactly what I was thinking.

We have only got two players born in 1997 in our squad - Frawley and Larmour. Not a single forward. I think we've got nine from 1996 - James Ryan, Andrew Porter, Max Deegan, Will Connors, Vahk Abdeladze, Hugo Keenan, Jimmy O'Brien, Conor O'Brien and Rowan Osbourne. And then from 1998 we've got seven: Caelan Doris, Ronan Kelleher, Jack Dunne, Dan Sheehan, Tommy O'Brien, Hugh O'Sullivan and Michael Silvester.

So that b.1997/U20 in 2017 year was a real lull for us. Tadhg McElroy was a player who had physical ability but in terms of mentality seemed to have been a bad fit for Leinster ... plus we had Ronan Kelleher coming into contention one year behind him, so McElroy wasn't worth the stress. Jack Kelly and Gavin Mullin didn't fulfil their agegrade potential/were overhyped [delete as you see fit]. We ended up producing a lot of players who are now signed to Connacht: Paul Boyle, Jordan Duggan, Conor Dean and Oisin Dowling.
Conor Nash was 1997 too, but overall a weak group.. Doris/Kelleher/TOB all played a year up for the 20's and were clear standouts.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 17th, 2020, 6:53 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:04 pm

Was a poor u20s side from memory.

We have only got two players born in 1997 in our squad - Frawley and Larmour. Not a single forward. I think we've got nine from 1996 - James Ryan, Andrew Porter, Max Deegan, Will Connors, Vahk Abdeladze, Hugo Keenan, Jimmy O'Brien, Conor O'Brien and Rowan Osbourne. And then from 1998 we've got seven: Caelan Doris, Ronan Kelleher, Jack Dunne, Dan Sheehan, Tommy O'Brien, Hugh O'Sullivan and Michael Silvester.

So that b.1997/U20 in 2017 year was a real lull for us. Tadhg McElroy was a player who had physical ability but in terms of mentality seemed to have been a bad fit for Leinster ... plus we had Ronan Kelleher coming into contention one year behind him, so McElroy wasn't worth the stress. Jack Kelly and Gavin Mullin didn't fulfil their agegrade potential/were overhyped [delete as you see fit]. We ended up producing a lot of players who are now signed to Connacht: Paul Boyle, Jordan Duggan, Conor Dean and Oisin Dowling.
Conor Nash was 1997 too, but overall a weak group.. Doris/Kelleher/TOB all played a year up for the 20's and were clear standouts.
Is Tadhg McElroy still playing professionally?
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Keith wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

No he was playing with Clontarf last season and with Lansdowne this.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:51 pm
Keith wrote: December 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

No he was playing with Clontarf last season and with Lansdowne this.
Thanks this was all I could find
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 44056.html

Sounds like he still has ambitions.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

mildlyinterested wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote: December 17th, 2020, 5:04 pm Was a poor u20s side from memory.

Conor Nash was a 1998 but played a year up

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ah my mistake.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

They probably would have hung on to Parker till the end of the season at least if Jersey hadn't wanted him back. There's still that hole in the squad with Furlong and Abdaladze injured, so McGrath gets a shot. Porter, Bent, Clarkson and McGrath doesn't look like too bad a roster with the other two guys unavailable, although I haven't much idea how good McGrath is admittedly.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Vakh pictured at training today.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: December 22nd, 2020, 1:44 pm Vakh pictured at training today.
That's good news, I was worried that he was done. He might not be right for rugby yet, but seeing him back on the training field is a real positive.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That is fantastic news.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

TH Prop
Michael Bent(34)
Tadhg Furlong(28/New Ross RFC/Clontarf) - injured
Andrew Porter(24/St. Andrews/UCD)
Vakh Abdaladze(24/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf) - injured
Greg McGrath(23/Wexford RFC/Lansdowne)
Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock/DUFC)
--
Sam Illo(U20/Wesley/Old Wesley)
Ben Griffin(U20/Castleknock/DUFC)
Shane Connolly(U20/Roscrea/UCD)
Ben Popplewell(U19/Wexford RFC/Lansdowne)

Difficult to say who if any will move to the academy this summer from the sub academy, unlikely any will at the moment IMO. Will McGrath stick around? You'd assume Clarkson is set for early graduation from the academy.

* ages as of start of next season
Last edited by mildlyinterested on January 10th, 2021, 3:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 9th, 2021, 9:08 am TH Prop
Michael Bent(34)
--
Rory McGuire(U19/Blackrock)
George Hadden(U18/Gorey RFC)
Bentos is still doing a serious job for us. I've been so impressed with his form this year.

He'll turn 35 before the end of the season but at this moment in time I'd have a contract ready for him to sign for the 2021-22 season. He has started all bar two games this season, and he was a sub in the other two. He's no-fuss and an absolute workhorse.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:47 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 9th, 2021, 9:08 am TH Prop
Michael Bent(34)
--
Bentos is still doing a serious job for us. I've been so impressed with his form this year.

He'll turn 35 before the end of the season but at this moment in time I'd have a contract ready for him to sign for the 2021-22 season. He has started all bar two games this season, and he was a sub in the other two. He's no-fuss and an absolute workhorse.
Agreed
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Short little interview with Greg McGrath here: https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/%27i ... cht/634544

Comes across like a good guy.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hugonaut wrote: January 9th, 2021, 3:30 pm Short little interview with Greg McGrath here: https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/%27i ... cht/634544

Great to see another wexford based prop :clap:
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

You think Illo or Griffin will start for the Ireland u20s this year? Any wonder-kids here?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

I reckon Benty's deserving of a Legend Tee at some point
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Laighin Break wrote: January 9th, 2021, 8:00 pm I reckon Benty's deserving of a Legend Tee at some point
:clap:
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 9th, 2021, 4:30 pm
hugonaut wrote: January 9th, 2021, 3:30 pm Short little interview with Greg McGrath here: https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/%27i ... cht/634544

Great to see another wexford based prop :clap:
@Goreyguy would have been delighted.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 9th, 2021, 8:04 pm
Laighin Break wrote: January 9th, 2021, 8:00 pm I reckon Benty's deserving of a Legend Tee at some point
:clap:
+1