Ronan Foxe(Tullamore RFC/Old Belvedere)
U19
Andrew Sparrow(St. Marys)
Adam Daey(Tullow RFC/Lansdowne)
U18
Alex Mullan(Blackrock)
Riain Coogan(St. Michaels)
Adam Watchorn(Kilkenny)

Alex Mullan and Riain Coogan both very impressive so far in the cup, Adam Watchorn up today and Andrew Sparrow up on Thursday.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: Tighthead Prop going forward

Post by TrapperChamonix »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:27 am Some serious tighthead talent in the underage ranks by the look of things:

U20
Paddy McCarthy(Blackrock/DUFC)
U19
U18
Alex Mullan(Blackrock)
Adam Watchorn(Kilkenny)

Alex Mullan and Riain Coogan both very impressive so far in the cup, Adam Watchorn up today and Andrew Sparrow up on Thursday.
We should sign John Ryan for 2 years when hes finished in NZ in June. Good for us as he fixes a short term hole we have in the squad and good for him as Munster have shafted him twice so no point looking to them for the future.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

TrapperChamonix wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:17 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:27 am Some serious tighthead talent in the underage ranks by the look of things:

U20
Paddy McCarthy(Blackrock/DUFC)
U19
U18
Alex Mullan(Blackrock)
Adam Watchorn(Kilkenny)

We should sign John Ryan for 2 years when hes finished in NZ in June. Good for us as he fixes a short term hole we have in the squad and good for him as Munster have shafted him twice so no point looking to them for the future.
by all accounts he is returning to Munster after his NZ experience.
coolbawn
Beginner

Post by coolbawn »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:18 pm
TrapperChamonix wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:17 pm We should sign John Ryan for 2 years when hes finished in NZ in June. Good for us as he fixes a short term hole we have in the squad and good for him as Munster have shafted him twice so no point looking to them for the future.
Yes, see https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/01/31/ ... contracts/
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Starting to feel a bit worried about Furlong's long suffering calf problems. Hopefully the medical understanding is better than in Flannery's day.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

I can imagine having a dodgy calf would be an absolute nightmare for scrummaging.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

coolbawn wrote: January 31st, 2023, 6:46 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:18 pm
TrapperChamonix wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:17 pm We should sign John Ryan for 2 years when hes finished in NZ in June. Good for us as he fixes a short term hole we have in the squad and good for him as Munster have shafted him twice so no point looking to them for the future.
Yes, see https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/01/31/ ... contracts/
Would this make John Ryan available for selection for the RWC
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Cian Healy(35/Belvedere/Clontarf)
Michael Ala'alatoa(32)
Tadhg Furlong(30/New Ross RFC/Clontarf)
Vakh Abdaladze(27/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf)
Tom Clarkson(23/Blackrock/DUFC)
--
Temi Lasisi(22/Enniscorthy RFC/Lansdowne)
Rory McGuire(21/Blackrock/UCD)
Paddy McCarthy(20/Blackrock/DUFC)
--
Adam Deay(U20/Tullow RFC/Lansdowne)
Andrew Sparrow(U20/St. Marys)
Alex Mullan(U19/Blackrock)

* Ages as of start of next season
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Are we assuming this is Healy's last season? He seems solid enough on the tight head side, maybe bulking up a little and moving over would give him an extra year? I think we need the depth as Furlong never plays and the sentiment isn't exactly overwhelmingly positive for the other options at the moment.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Serb wrote: March 7th, 2023, 10:52 am Are we assuming this is Healy's last season? He seems solid enough on the tight head side, maybe bulking up a little and moving over would give him an extra year? I think we need the depth as Furlong never plays and the sentiment isn't exactly overwhelmingly positive for the other options at the moment.
No, I'd say he will play on next season but that could be it then.
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

Is tighthead prop a concern going forward now? Furlong doesn't look like he will play much going forward and I don't see anyone coming through in the next 2 seasons. What will we do as big Mike doesn't seem to be good enough at scrum time against the best.

Is there an argument that depowering the scrum at youth levels means we aren't producing large enough props for our system?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dan Brennan is 132kg loosehead. Does anyone think he'd be the same weight having come through the Irish system? He'd be a good chunk smaller. I don't know whether he'd be a better or worse player.

It's not just scrums, it's not just youths rugby.

As an aside, Brive have been relegated so it's a better time for a move. Healy and Kilcoyne are winding down, McGrath is gone, Boyle is much smaller. There's room for him within the system. But a move like that would have to partly come from Nucifora.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Can we stop this nonsense about signing players to win a HC? We had one of the best squads ever assembled and couldnt win either comp. This is a mentality issue rather than a personal one.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Keith wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 1:14 am Can we stop this nonsense about signing players to win a HC? We had one of the best squads ever assembled and couldnt win either comp. This is a mentality issue rather than a personal one.
La Rochelle have 5 players in their squad over 135kg. There's an element of physics at work. I think we can win with a smaller squad, I think it's the only way we can win. It's not entirely fair to call it a mentality issue, we've been beaten by high spending teams stocked with elite talent and big, big players. Furlong and Porter are 125kg, mobile and bloody good.

We already sign players. Alaalatoa and Jenkins are the biggest players in their positions for us.

I haven't watched Brennan play this season so I don't know if it's a good idea, but if he is then there's a window for the IRFU to make a move. It probably wouldn't be Leinster, because we don't get IQ talent and we have players there. If it's this year it won't be Ulster because they signed Kitshoff. Munster have depth but that's never stopped them, Connacht might be a better bet.
Observingprop123
Mullet

ronk wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 12:42 am Dan Brennan is 132kg loosehead. Does anyone think he'd be the same weight having come through the Irish system? He'd be a good chunk smaller. I don't know whether he'd be a better or worse player.

As an aside, Brive have been relegated so it's a better time for a move. Healy and Kilcoyne are winding down, McGrath is gone, Boyle is much smaller. There's room for him within the system. But a move like that would have to partly come from Nucifora.
You're right about the irish system. In my time I've played against some monsters who usually make it into Leinster teams, but the 1.5 metre rule means that you can easily slot in a slightly larger flanker in the scrum and experience nothing catastrophic.

Good example was Sparrow against Kilkenny last year, folded the loosehead 3 times in a row and got no penalty or reward for it. I know its done for health and safety etc and we want lads good around the park, but relying on Healy to lock out scrums at tighthead if we have a single injury in our first 2 tightheads isn't where we should be.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

Andrew Porter spoke on this topic specifically in an interview last week - he mentions that one of the first times he ever met Stuart Lancaster that at the time he was 128kg. Said his first year at U20s he was 113kg and in his second season he was 130kg.

He said Lancaster said to him "If you can do my sessions at that weight then fine, but I think you're going to struggle" - so it's a clear indication that Leinster favour mobility over pure bulk and power. Porter says his optimum weight now is 114kg - 116kg.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Observingprop123 wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 9:43 am
ronk wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 12:42 am Dan Brennan is 132kg loosehead. Does anyone think he'd be the same weight having come through the Irish system? He'd be a good chunk smaller. I don't know whether he'd be a better or worse player.

You're right about the irish system. In my time I've played against some monsters who usually make it into Leinster teams, but the 1.5 metre rule means that you can easily slot in a slightly larger flanker in the scrum and experience nothing catastrophic.

Good example was Sparrow against Kilkenny last year, folded the loosehead 3 times in a row and got no penalty or reward for it. I know its done for health and safety etc and we want lads good around the park, but relying on Healy to lock out scrums at tighthead if we have a single injury in our first 2 tightheads isn't where we should be.
The 1.5 metre rule is in everywhere so not a factor.
And you dont really see too often larger flankers in the front row from my experience of going to far too many games a year at all levels - youths and schools
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The prototype LHP & THP players we need are Argentinian, not French or South African. Although Argentina have not won The Championship since it commenced, their scrum is almost always the strongest part of their game, even without front-five forwards who weight +130kg.

McBride has marginally improved our scrum and our maul defence. However, I've long believed that somebody like Ledesma would be a great Coach signing, based on his impact elsewhere.

Maybe Leo has already spoken to Felipe about this, if not maybe he will do before the summer is over.

Personally, I believe that Leinster have a couple of THP prospects who just might emerge in the manner that Tadgh did originally.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

The guy I'd love to know more about how his development is going is Rory McGuire. He looks to have good size and was effective for the Irish 20s, but injuries seem to have stalled his development since then. Anyone any sense as to how he's coming along?
Observingprop123
Mullet

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 2:33 pm
Personally, I believe that Leinster have a couple of THP prospects who just might emerge in the manner that Tadgh did originally.
Just to clarify this, do you think they're going to emerge after some experience and turn into fantastic players and do you believe these players are coming up or at the club already?