Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by Avenger »

elephantman wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm Where are these Furlong to Munster rumours coming from?

There is about as much chance of POM signing for Leinster as there is Furlong signing for Munster..
Only place I've heard it mentioned was by one of the eejits on OTB:AM and then it was only as a joke at the end as he so far hasn't signed.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Avenger wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:40 pm
elephantman wrote: April 14th, 2021, 5:39 pm Where are these Furlong to Munster rumours coming from?

There is about as much chance of POM signing for Leinster as there is Furlong signing for Munster..
Only place I've heard it mentioned was by one of the eejits on OTB:AM and then it was only as a joke at the end as he so far hasn't signed.
Haha, I had to stop listening to OTB. Bad for your mental health 😂😂

I’d say Furlong is just haggling. The IRFU could try to lowball Furlong due to him being injured for a year, Covid etc. They did it before in 2013 with Sexton.

Probably a very small chance Furlong could move abroad if he feels the IRFU aren’t paying him what he thinks he’s worth but that’s the same for every player.

One thing is certain though - he ain’t signing for Munster.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Furlong isn't leaving, if he was would have heard a lot about it by now. He is the best tighthead in the world and key to Ireland.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

elephantman wrote: April 14th, 2021, 6:44 pm

Haha, I had to stop listening to OTB. Bad for your mental health 😂😂

I’d say Furlong is just haggling. The IRFU could try to lowball Furlong due to him being injured for a year, Covid etc. They did it before in 2013 with Sexton.

Probably a very small chance Furlong could move abroad if he feels the IRFU aren’t paying him what he thinks he’s worth but that’s the same for every player.

One thing is certain though - he ain’t signing for Munster.
They learnt a lesson from that. They tried to lowball Sexton because he had been on relatively small money for a long time. He signed an extension when Contepomi was still there and he signed his next deal when ROG was officially first choice. He was on backup money both times. That was great value for the IRFU but they got greedy.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Who's that lad that is on the bottom left to the screen? Scrawny pale fella with big spectacles. Never says a word, just nods every now and then. Like an intern learning from the Ger and the others.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

More to come tomorrow including Toner apparently.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:58 pm More to come tomorrow including Toner apparently.
:green clap:
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

OTB has been embarrassing over the past few days. Firstly, leading with the ‘O’Gara vs Leinster’ nonsense (ignoring the fact that O’Gara is number 2 to a guy who coached Leinster for 6 years, which is a much better story for the educated, the non-tabloid rugby follower. Then today they were talking about the signing of a 31 year old journeyman wing as if it can be transformational to a turnip team badly in need of a front row. Then more nonsense saying that the 31 year old journeyman was shamefully treated by the IRFU; the IRFU is picking up some of the tab for his wages because the turnips can’t manage their finances...
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 8:58 pm More to come tomorrow including Toner apparently.
Fingers crossed, he deserves it and with Baird likely to join Ryan as a fixture in the Ireland squad we’ll need his experience and ability.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Blue Man wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:17 pm OTB has been embarrassing over the past few days. Firstly, leading with the ‘O’Gara vs Leinster’ nonsense (ignoring the fact that O’Gara is number 2 to a guy who coached Leinster for 6 years, which is a much better story for the educated, the non-tabloid rugby follower. Then today they were talking about the signing of a 31 year old journeyman wing as if it can be transformational to a turnip team badly in need of a front row. Then more nonsense saying that the 31 year old journeyman was shamefully treated by the IRFU; the IRFU is picking up some of the tab for his wages because the turnips can’t manage their finances...
Yeah but Gibbes is pretty unknown. I'm sure there are plenty of fans who watched some of his games who don't know who he is. ROG is the opposite, well known and in some people's eyes this is his audition to see if he's ready for the Munster job. Actually a win for La Rochelle with Munster potentially having lost 7 on the bounce probably gets JvG sacked mid contract if ROG is available.

The 31 year old journeyman is one of the most marketable men in Irish rugby and was available cheap.
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

Gibbes is well known in Ulster as the guy who got an early release to go back to NZ for family reasons but his plane was diverted to La Rochelle and who turned pretty nasty on screen when the BBC reporter asked him about his mid week trip to La Rochelle when he was our porting to be returning to NZ. I agree it was difficult time at Ulster but he really did us a big favour as we got Dan Mc Farland instead who turned the club around. Not that most supporter saw us as the basket case that one Premiership pundit referred to us as.
I think that he also pulled out of a contract in NZ too.
I don’t think he is someone you could too much trust in.
RoG may be number 2 but he seems to be the one who running the show.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Blue Man wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:17 pm OTB has been embarrassing over the past few days. Firstly, leading with the ‘O’Gara vs Leinster’ nonsense (ignoring the fact that O’Gara is number 2 to a guy who coached Leinster for 6 years, which is a much better story for the educated, the non-tabloid rugby follower. Then today they were talking about the signing of a 31 year old journeyman wing as if it can be transformational to a turnip team badly in need of a front row. Then more nonsense saying that the 31 year old journeyman was shamefully treated by the IRFU; the IRFU is picking up some of the tab for his wages because the turnips can’t manage their finances...
I can imagine. OTB has been embarrassing ever since the The Second Captains left in 2013. Had to stop listening.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote: April 14th, 2021, 7:31 pm Furlong isn't leaving, if he was would have heard a lot about it by now. He is the best tighthead in the world and key to Ireland.
Fully agree.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Michael Milne has been promoted to senior squad.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 90248?s=20
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sean Cronin has signed a new contract with the province.

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 69696?s=20

that's a surprise..
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

Wasn’t expecting Cronin either tbh. Someone here was 100% certain he was gone, selling his house and all.

Without Cronin, we’re one injury away from benching Sheehan in a European game, and I don’t think he’s ready for that yet. Probably a good call.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Sheehan is more than ready for more gametime.. wouldn't like to see him blocked from progressing significantly by Cronin.. would open up a line of approach from Munster if he is blocked from game time.

Still good call to keep him around given we only have 3 senior hookers and kelleher will be in high demand.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

elephantman wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:45 am
I can imagine. OTB has been embarrassing ever since the The Second Captains left in 2013. Had to stop listening.
At the time they left I wondered why they were doing it. I've come to the conclusion that a few of the people at OTB are completely insufferable.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

ronk wrote: April 14th, 2021, 10:41 pm
Yeah but Gibbes is pretty unknown. I'm sure there are plenty of fans who watched some of his games who don't know who he is. ROG is the opposite, well known and in some people's eyes this is his audition to see if he's ready for the Munster job. Actually a win for La Rochelle with Munster potentially having lost 7 on the bounce probably gets JvG sacked mid contract if ROG is available.

The 31 year old journeyman is one of the most marketable men in Irish rugby and was available cheap.
Have to agree on the marketability. Zebo could nearly pay for himself with the extra people coming in the turnstiles off the back of all the fawning coverage!

If he manages to get into an Ireland squad I can see himself and James Lowe hitting it off. I don't see him ousting Keenan though
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Twist wrote: April 15th, 2021, 12:20 pm If he manages to get into an Ireland squad I can see himself and James Lowe hitting it off. I don't see him ousting Keenan though
I'm not sure - could see it being a bit spiky between the two of them if they play against each other. Quite similar in some ways
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you