Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by Jonny tight lips »

wixfjord wrote: March 16th, 2021, 9:18 am Frawley/Henshaw looked pretty good against Montpellier.

I agree ROL has done well, but I think the other two have a few more strings to their bow.

I'd imagine we'll see Ross, Frawley, ROL as our 10,12,13 for the league final.
I guess I’m just thinking in big Euro knockout games it would be better to keep Henshaw at 12 where he’s been playing most his big games recently (I know he’s a more than capable 13). I’m just thinking to minimise the disruption, also ROL has been good this year also.

I’d love to see Harry, Penny, Bent and Sheehan start the final against Munster but I’m probably asking for a lot there.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

So which of our back rows will be going down south to fill the CJ gap?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

The Doc wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:05 am So which of our back rows will be going down south to fill the CJ gap?
Oh balls...... quick hide them all! :shock:
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

I hope to f%~k they have signed their contracts and we’re just waiting to announce it. Ulster losing their starting 8 too. With Doris concussion issues and Conans injury history we can’t really let either of them or Max go.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:14 am I hope to f%~k they have signed their contracts and we’re just waiting to announce it. Ulster losing their starting 8 too. With Doris concussion issues and Conans injury history we can’t really let either of them or Max go.
The cynic in me is now thinking is this why Penny has been given runs out at 8 :(
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

RoboProp wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:28 am
Jonny tight lips wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:14 am I hope to f%~k they have signed their contracts and we’re just waiting to announce it. Ulster losing their starting 8 too. With Doris concussion issues and Conans injury history we can’t really let either of them or Max go.
The cynic in me is now thinking is this why Penny has been given runs out at 8 :(
In fairness they will probably play Coombs at 8, move POM back across to 6 and be looking for a new 7 anyway.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:34 am
In fairness they will probably play Coombs at 8, move POM back across to 6 and be looking for a new 7 anyway.
Our ability to churn out quality players is a potential rod for our back once more. I know we can't keep them all, but it never sits well.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

RoboProp wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:37 am

Our ability to churn out quality players is a potential rod for our back once more. I know we can't keep them all, but it never sits well.
We don't have to keep them all just the ones that want to stay.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

I don’t see how we can afford to lose any of our back rows. The academy has two year one players and a year two who hasn’t featured this year so I don’t see any promotions. If anything CJ retiring will increase our international commitments to the Irish squad. Also we are losing a second row (Fardy) who fills in the back row. With it being such an attritional position we have struggled to get a team out on occasions this year so why wouldn’t we need to keep them all?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Keith wrote: March 16th, 2021, 10:47 am

We don't have to keep them all just the ones that want to stay.
I suppose they're rugby players not Pokemon! :lol:
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Relax everyone, Penny is staying at Leinster.
Serb
Mullet

Post by Serb »

It’s not really about who we can afford to lose — Munster losing CJ breaks a wide open spot in their starting pack, and they don’t have anyone of his standard to fill it yet. It also opens a spot in the Ireland pack / squad.

I think there are a few players who don’t make our pack for the big games who would have their head turned by the opportunity to start for a good European Cup team who are on the up.

I’d also agree that they’ll probably be more interested in a 7 over an 8, Penny being the prime candidate there — I’ve been convinced for quite some time that they will find a way to get him to Thomond regardless of what’s happened with CJ, this maybe makes the sell a bit easier.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I believe Leinster need to save €1m. Kelleher is the thin edge of that. Bent is a chunk of that change as is Fardy, both of whom are believed to be going, and Dev has resorted to doing interviews/podcasts to express his wish for one more year...which he is unlikely to get if we need to save €1m and we do have Molony and Dunne to subvent Ryan & Baird...but it is still thin at 2nd row.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Well there is a Q&A with Leo for Members online tonight (I think). Maybe there'll be some indications there as to who has signed or hasn't as the case may be. Probably not but I'm sure the Q will be asked.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Serb wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:05 am It’s not really about who we can afford to lose — Munster losing CJ breaks a wide open spot in their starting pack, and they don’t have anyone of his standard to fill it yet. It also opens a spot in the Ireland pack / squad.

I think there are a few players who don’t make our pack for the big games who would have their head turned by the opportunity to start for a good European Cup team who are on the up.

I’d also agree that they’ll probably be more interested in a 7 over an 8, Penny being the prime candidate there — I’ve been convinced for quite some time that they will find a way to get him to Thomond regardless of what’s happened with CJ, this maybe makes the sell a bit easier.
Beirne’s form and recognition as an international backrow along with Coombes changes the situation.

Penny’s emergence as a primary ball carrier makes him more attractive to them but I think we’re okay for now.

Funnily enough, the early retirement of one of Ireland’s highest paid players is probably great news for the IRFU right now. They have 2 young players gunning for his position.

Him going to France would be a huge black eye but retiring for family reasons takes a lot of pressure off the budget.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I'm not worried about any of our backrow going to Munster. Ulster are the worry for our backrowers. Munster have :
Peter O'Mahony
Chris Cloete
Tommy O'Donnell
Jack O'Donoghue
Jack O'Sullivan
Gavin Coombes
Alex Kendellen
John Hodnett

That's a formidable list of backrowers, especially with the upside Coombes, O'Sullivan, Kendellen & Hodnett have.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

backrower8 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:57 am I believe Leinster need to save €1m. Kelleher is the thin edge of that. Bent is a chunk of that change as is Fardy, both of whom are believed to be going, and Dev has resorted to doing interviews/podcasts to express his wish for one more year...which he is unlikely to get if we need to save €1m and we do have Molony and Dunne to subvent Ryan & Baird...but it is still thin at 2nd row.
you forgot about sean cronin leaving.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

erskinechilders wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:20 pm I'm not worried about any of our backrow going to Munster. Ulster are the worry for our backrowers. Munster have :
Peter O'Mahony
Chris Cloete
Tommy O'Donnell
Jack O'Donoghue
Jack O'Sullivan
Gavin Coombes
Alex Kendellen
John Hodnett

That's a formidable list of backrowers, especially with the upside Coombes, O'Sullivan, Kendellen & Hodnett have.
TOD is done and I think Cloetes contract is up this year and he’s heading off. Two 7s gone, add to that the fact that Munster haven’t trusted many of the younger guys to date this season.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

mildlyinterested wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:35 pm
backrower8 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:57 am I believe Leinster need to save €1m. Kelleher is the thin edge of that. Bent is a chunk of that change as is Fardy, both of whom are believed to be going, and Dev has resorted to doing interviews/podcasts to express his wish for one more year...which he is unlikely to get if we need to save €1m and we do have Molony and Dunne to subvent Ryan & Baird...but it is still thin at 2nd row.
you forgot about sean cronin leaving.
I didn’t. But that makes sense under the new Covid circumstances and with the mega talent coming through
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Jonny tight lips wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:45 pm
erskinechilders wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:20 pm I'm not worried about any of our backrow going to Munster. Ulster are the worry for our backrowers. Munster have :
Peter O'Mahony
Chris Cloete
Tommy O'Donnell
Jack O'Donoghue
Jack O'Sullivan
Gavin Coombes
Alex Kendellen
John Hodnett

TOD is done and I think Cloetes contract is up this year and he’s heading off. Two 7s gone, add to that the fact that Munster haven’t trusted many of the younger guys to date this season.
Squads are going to look a little lean under the fiscal cuts and we don’t have the Davy’s money to prop us up anymore 😉