Leinster Squad 20-21

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

allezlesverres
Bookworm

Re: Leinster Squad 20-21

Post by allezlesverres »

Serb wrote: January 27th, 2021, 11:12 pm
I don’t think so. They’re likely losing Sam Carter too, and Nakarawa is a lock. We’ll still supply them with one of our back row players.
Carter is staying by all accounts and Nakarawa is signed as a back row predominantly. Ulster's back row is looking more healthy than it has in years but I'd still say Leinster have more back rows than they can give game time to, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Leinster back row like Conan or Deegan look northwards.

Ye are clearly struggling for hookers though and all of Ulster's options there are really good. We have too many up here so how about a swap of a hooker for a BR?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

allezlesverres wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:04 pm
I don’t think so. They’re likely losing Sam Carter too, and Nakarawa is a lock. We’ll still supply them with one of our back row players.
Carter is staying by all accounts and Nakarawa is signed as a back row predominantly. Ulster's back row is looking more healthy than it has in years but I'd still say Leinster have more back rows than they can give game time to, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a Leinster back row like Conan or Deegan look northwards.

Ye are clearly struggling for hookers though and all of Ulster's options there are really good. We have too many up here so how about a swap of a hooker for a BR?
If Carter is being paid above the Avg, they are wasting money.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

allezlesverres wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:04 pm

we aren't.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

Peg Leg wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:11 pm
You do hear a lot of folks saying that but I don't agree. I think he had some teething issues but it has been pretty clear that he adds a lot this season. All of the standard "lock" jobs are done better when he is on the pitch than when he isn't so the lineout, scrum and maul (moreso in attack than defence) all work better when he is there. It's maybe not barnstorming glamourous stuff but it is essential. He'll never be Johann but I like the guy.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

allezlesverres wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:57 pm
Peg Leg wrote: January 28th, 2021, 1:11 pm
You do hear a lot of folks saying that but I don't agree. I think he had some teething issues but it has been pretty clear that he adds a lot this season. All of the standard "lock" jobs are done better when he is on the pitch than when he isn't so the lineout, scrum and maul (moreso in attack than defence) all work better when he is there. It's maybe not barnstorming glamourous stuff but it is essential. He'll never be Johann but I like the guy.
I understood Carter to be something of a Marquee (see: expensive) signing. If not then maybe he is good value, we've had players like Hayden Triggs fulfil a similar role in the past.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Triggs was a great guy, really positive presence in the group by all accounts. I hope that he and his family and safe and happy in NZ; they had some tough times here.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Blue Man wrote:Triggs was a great guy, really positive presence in the group by all accounts. I hope that he and his family and safe and happy in NZ; they had some tough times here.
Agree, very underrated

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Barry wrote: January 29th, 2021, 9:17 am
Blue Man wrote:Triggs was a great guy, really positive presence in the group by all accounts. I hope that he and his family and safe and happy in NZ; they had some tough times here.
Agree, very underrated

I dunno about that.

It was always the case that his positive attitude/influence/reliable performance was recognised and noted. Possibly an early period of uncertainty but he was a medium-sized cult hero here.
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Post by hope not expectation »

Trigger was one of my favourite players while he was here.
Great guy from all accounts
I hope he and his family are safe and well.
hope not expectation
Bookworm

hope not expectation wrote: January 29th, 2021, 6:22 pm Triggs was one of my favourite players while he was here.
Great guy from all accounts
I hope he and his family are safe and well.
hope not expectation
Bookworm

Apologies for the multiple posts.
A combination of auto correct and fat fingers
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Barry wrote: January 29th, 2021, 9:17 am
Agree, very underrated

Played his best rugby in his last season here too. Was said to see him leave
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Nick McCarthy is set to leave Munster and re-join his native Leinster ahead of next season.

https://www.the42.ie/nick-mccarthy-lein ... 8-Jan2021/
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2021, 8:05 pm Nick McCarthy is set to leave Munster and re-join his native Leinster ahead of next season.

Good to have him back. Should never have left in the first place.

I think we all know who encouraged the move in the IRFU. I’m dreading to think what’s going on behind the scenes at the moment.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Strange move again for Nick, with Casey making the Ireland squad it's opening up for him at Munster.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Bizarre stuff.

He has basically wasted a few years of his career.

Good to have him back though, he'll be a clear third choice for us.

Assume that means at least two of HOS, PP and Osborne will go, if not all three.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Possible scrumhalf options next season:

Jamison Gibson Park(29)
Luke McGrath(28)
Nick McCarthy(26)
Hugh O'Sullivan(23)
Cormac Foley(21) - Academy Y3
*incoming academy scrumhalf*
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Strange move if true, especially with Casey after making the step up to international rugby, which could mean that Nick could find himself as Munster’s starting scrum half for large portions of the season.

His move to Munster did not work how he would have hoped, which is unfortunate for him.
But for Casey’s breakthrough, Nick would have been Munster’s second choice, which is likely what he would have targeted on leaving Leinster.

As a Munster fan I will be sad to see him go, he looks like a very talented player, and he will leave a large gap in the Munster squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

Facts about David Hawkshaw that are really impressive:
On his performance against Connacht while he was on for 23 minutes he had better stats than all the other players on the pitch that night even though he was only on for 23 minutes. Metres made: 65
Carries: 6
Defenders beaten: 8
1 clean break
Tackles: 8
Next game he plays against Scarlets he played 9 minutes and makes a turn over, scores 1 try and gained 36 metres which is more than Ciaran Frawley who played 71 minutes.
Maybe it’s time he deserves a start at 12? Can’t see any reason why he doesn’t deserve a start.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 31st, 2021, 8:05 pm Nick McCarthy is set to leave Munster and re-join his native Leinster ahead of next season.

2 years exile in Limerick. I wonder what crime he committed to get such a harsh sentence.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish