Leinster and scrumhalf development

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Leinster and scrumhalf development

Post by munster#1 »

With no scrum half currently in the Munster Academy, this could be a goo opportunity for him to gain a full academy spot, and progress his career.

Hopefully things go well for him. Could also be a catalyst for him to get a full academy spot at Leinster.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

i'd say at this stage, he is much more likely to be playing for Munster than Leinster next season.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 8:49 pm i'd say at this stage, he is much more likely to be playing for Munster than Leinster next season.
What makes you think that? Is he not wanted by Leinster?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

munster#1 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 8:50 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 8:49 pm i'd say at this stage, he is much more likely to be playing for Munster than Leinster next season.
If leinster wanted him he'd have a contract, they had him in their sub academy for over 12 months and didn't offer him one.. the writing was on the wall in terms of his leinster future given the competition for places and he has taken the chance in trying to earn a contract down south.. he could quite easily play for munster seniors in the next few weeks something he was years away from possibly doing at leinster if ever.

So IMO a return to leinster at this stage looks very unlikely.. but stranger things have happened..
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 9:17 pm
munster#1 wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 8:50 pm
If leinster wanted him he'd have a contract, they had him in their sub academy for over 12 months and didn't offer him one.. the writing was on the wall in terms of his leinster future given the competition for places and he has taken the chance in trying to earn a contract down south.. he could quite easily play for munster seniors in the next few weeks something he was years away from possibly doing at leinster if ever.

So IMO a return to leinster at this stage looks very unlikely.. but stranger things have happened..
Would be great if this becomes a positive move for him so, much like with Loughman.

There is a gap for him to fill at Munster, so could be win win for both parties.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Michael McDonald moving back to Western Force from the Waratahs where he struggled to get game time... will link up with Rob Kearney there.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:05 am Michael McDonald moving back to Western Force from the Waratahs where he struggled to get game time... will link up with Rob Kearney there.
Just reading bout that on the42.

https://www.the42.ie/mcdonald-kearney-w ... 1-Nov2020/

Could be an option for us. No better man than Rob to sound him out.....
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Think Cullen is giving the younger players much opportunities or does he not rate them? McGrath seems to be playing as much as they can play him.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

dropkick wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:58 am Think Cullen is giving the younger players much opportunities or does he not rate them? McGrath seems to be playing as much as they can play him.
in the last game McGrath played the full 80 due to injury forcing Hughie to play 15.

But I don't think any of them are particularly highly rated by the coaches... plus they probably think they need experience at 9 alongside HB.

HOS(22) been the main backup 9 so far this season somewhat surprisingly.. no sign of Osborne(24) or Foley(21) so far and Patterson(21) has played some 7's.

It's a bit of a mess given the lack of meaningful rugby to aid them develop, thought one might head south given Munster's need but obviously that didn't happen.

If there was a future star in the group, we'd know about it.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:02 am
dropkick wrote: November 10th, 2020, 9:58 am Think Cullen is giving the younger players much opportunities or does he not rate them? McGrath seems to be playing as much as they can play him.
in the last game McGrath played the full 80 due to injury forcing Hughie to play 15.

But I don't think any of them are particularly highly rated by the coaches... plus they probably think they need experience at 9 alongside HB.

HOS(22) been the main backup 9 so far this season somewhat surprisingly.. no sign of Osborne(24) or Foley(21) so far and Patterson(21) has played some 7's.

It's a bit of a mess given the lack of meaningful rugby to aid them develop, thought one might head south given Munster's need but obviously that didn't happen.

I would have thought , if there was one position Munster did not need further cover it is S/H...
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

alanair wrote: November 10th, 2020, 2:27 pm
mildlyinterested wrote: November 10th, 2020, 10:02 am

I would have thought , if there was one position Munster did not need further cover it is S/H...
well they signed a scrumhalf from the leinster sub-academy as they were down to 3 healthy scrumhalves under contract, two potentially required by ireland, whereas Leinster have 6, 4 senior and 2 academy.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

How is Paddy Patterson coming along? I remember PP making his senior debut and being quite impressed but haven’t seen much of him since. I know he was involved with the 7’s but thought we would have seen a little more of him at this stage.
Last edited by elephantman on November 10th, 2020, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

*Paddy Patterson
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

elephantman wrote: November 10th, 2020, 7:46 pm How is Paddy Patterson coming along? I remember PP making his senior debut and being quite impressed but haven’t seen much of him since. I know he was involved with the 7’s but thought we would have seen a little more of him at this stage.
He isn't really progressing much.. but then none of the young 9s appear to be. He's probably 5th choice 9 so who knows when or if he'll get many more chances at senior level.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ben Murphy at Munster training, looks to have picked up a knock at the very least:

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

mildlyinterested wrote: November 25th, 2020, 8:44 am Ben Murphy at Munster training, looks to have picked up a knock at the very least:

:D :D :D
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Murphy included in Munster euro squad.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

The way the games have been going it appears Cullen is bedding down a strong team for the 1st euro match. Only hit with that is if McGrath goes down injured and we haven’t given HOS any game time to be ready to fill in. Normally I would say there isn’t a position in Leinster we can’t cover but 9 is looking bare at the moment. I remember PP’s first Leinster debut in RDS and it was our usual Jesus here is another wonder kid in the making, especially with the speed he had. Since then osbourne got dropped in and he seems to have fallen way out of prospect. Really sad to see as he looked really good with raw potential. Does he not have the right attitude off the pitch that we are not seeing??
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Theleinsterlad wrote: November 26th, 2020, 11:00 am The way the games have been going it appears Cullen is bedding down a strong team for the 1st euro match. Only hit with that is if McGrath goes down injured and we haven’t given HOS any game time to be ready to fill in. Normally I would say there isn’t a position in Leinster we can’t cover but 9 is looking bare at the moment. I remember PP’s first Leinster debut in RDS and it was our usual Jesus here is another wonder kid in the making, especially with the speed he had. Since then osbourne got dropped in and he seems to have fallen way out of prospect. Really sad to see as he looked really good with raw potential. Does he not have the right attitude off the pitch that we are not seeing??
LGP will be back for Europe.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

so Foley and Osborne's passing performances against Munster A unfortunately left a lot to be desired.. Ben Murphy is obviously now down south and started for Munster A in that game. Munster have a highly rated 9 a year below Murphy so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

No sign of Rob Gilsenan these days, although it's good to see Will Reilly with the irish 20's.