Sean O'Brien

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Sean O'Brien

Post by Morf »

JB1973 wrote:I wish him well but with his style of play, his injury record and the physical nature of the premiership I have my doubts over providing value for money for l irish when you consider his salary.
Heard something along the lines of a certain number of appearances needed for full salary to kick in.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

SOB going alright, everyone else on his team complete dogshit. Seriously awful.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

And he is off after 50minutes. Looked a bit rusty which is understandable but definitely a class above the rest of the team.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Morf wrote:
JB1973 wrote:I wish him well but with his style of play, his injury record and the physical nature of the premiership I have my doubts over providing value for money for l irish when you consider his salary.
Heard something along the lines of a certain number of appearances needed for full salary to kick in.
Base salary with a rate per game I'd assume.

The Manu Tuilagi model. Not that he is on that. But if I were to sign him this is how I would do it
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

SO'B has a personal appearance marketing value which considerably outweights that of Tuilagi. One of the rumours back in June was that LI made an offer which SO'B couldn't refuse which wasn't based on on-pitch displays but rather his availability for total events - including marketing events. This sounds far more like what SO'B would have tied down.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Ruckedtobits wrote:SO'B has a personal appearance marketing value which considerably outweights that of Tuilagi. One of the rumours back in June was that LI made an offer which SO'B couldn't refuse which wasn't based on on-pitch displays but rather his availability for total events - including marketing events. This sounds far more like what SO'B would have tied down.
Especally in advance of the new stadium - selling season tickets and attracting sponsors
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Ruckedtobits wrote:SO'B has a personal appearance marketing value which considerably outweights that of Tuilagi. One of the rumours back in June was that LI made an offer which SO'B couldn't refuse which wasn't based on on-pitch displays but rather his availability for total events - including marketing events. This sounds far more like what SO'B would have tied down.
Also, from a couple of interviews I read from SOB and LI players his value to the team would seem to be more then just on the field. I get the impression that DK wants him to be the "New Sheriff in town" and clean up LI (or basically bring some of the values SOB was used to to from Leinster and Ireland to bear over there). Apparently, he was really shocked with the set up. Not so much the player attitudes or anything but more their naivety of what was required to compete at the top level.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

Logorrhea wrote:For all our talk of Backrow talent coming through, we are still a mile away from replacing him. Class player, still being missed.
I think you’re being very unfair to Doris and Conan and Deegan...

Each are more skilful than Seanie ever was - what he did have tho , was the ability to run over people, and no we don’t have that now - but TBH I’d prefer the current batch and their skill set
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

alanair wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:For all our talk of Backrow talent coming through, we are still a mile away from replacing him. Class player, still being missed.
I think you’re being very unfair to Doris and Conan and Deegan...

Each are more skilful than Seanie ever was - what he did have tho , was the ability to run over people, and no we don’t have that now - but TBH I’d prefer the current batch and their skill set
BOD talks a lot about how big a personality SOB was and how his edge was so important both in training and in games. From the outside looking in it doesn't seem like we have anyone like that now.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

As BO'D also points out Seanie was one the few, perhaps even only Irish player NZ rated in recent years. Why? IMO, 'cos he understood pain - the giving and the taking. SO'B putting manners on Pape at the 2015 RWC , even if it meant taking a red card for the team, is my opinion, one of the highlights of his career. Had SO'B in his pomp being playing for Ireland a few weeks back in Twickenham England for sure wouldn't have bullied the boys in green around the park the way they did.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dan Leavy has shown many of the same attributes as SO'B, possibly not as good a carrier but, IMO, much more distructive in the tackle and more effective at the breakdown.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Leavy is more of the classical 7, he is superb at the breakdown and is more mobile

SOB far better carrier and is more aggressive in his play in general and as others point out he is a player opposition teams simply do not want to have play against

They would be a superb pairing, just play SOB at 6 and Leavy 7 job done.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

OTT wrote:SOB going alright, everyone else on his team complete dogshit. Seriously awful.
That squad with a couple of exceptions are second division. Some of their tier 1 signings like SOB, Kefu, Phipps and even Jackson seem to be permanently crocked. Kidney and Kiss can coach them and develop them all they like but ultimately they are not very good.

Their crowds are also awful, down around 3-4k, they used to get 10k+ at games. The last financial report showed that they were the biggest financial losers in the premiership, losing more than £10million (for the period they were in the second tier). Hopefully the new stadium will bring a new dawn but you really would wonder about their future.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Flash Gordon wrote:
OTT wrote:SOB going alright, everyone else on his team complete dogshit. Seriously awful.
That squad with a couple of exceptions are second division. Some of their tier 1 signings like SOB, Kefu, Phipps and even Jackson seem to be permanently crocked. Kidney and Kiss can coach them and develop them all they like but ultimately they are not very good.

Their crowds are also awful, down around 3-4k, they used to get 10k+ at games. The last financial report showed that they were the biggest financial losers in the premiership, losing more than £10million (for the period they were in the second tier). Hopefully the new stadium will bring a new dawn but you really would wonder about their future.

They have had some good wins in fairness and are mid table, they can't be as bad as they were on the weekend every week (well you'd like to think not)

Where is the new stadium ? Is there still a lot of affection towards l irish with irish diaspora in the area?

On the flip side Sale are a good team with a monster pack and have a world class 9 and two try scoring wingers. They could well go on and win the premiership this year. TBH other than those Exeter and Bristol the rest are bang average (sarries aside)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Their recruitment has been shocking for a long time now. Signing Andy Goode without a medical and then him having to briefly retire soon after was a particular highlight.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

JB1973 wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

They have had some good wins in fairness and are mid table, they can't be as bad as they were on the weekend every week (well you'd like to think not)

Where is the new stadium ? Is there still a lot of affection towards l irish with irish diaspora in the area?

On the flip side Sale are a good team with a monster pack and have a world class 9 and two try scoring wingers. They could well go on and win the premiership this year. TBH other than those Exeter and Bristol the rest are bang average (sarries aside)
They've done a lot better than I expected this year for sure despite limited strengthening. The exceptional has probably been Myler but he obviously plays in Paddy Jackson's position so that's an odd one. New stadium is a shared ground with Brentford which will have a capacity of 17k. They moved 20 years ago and anyway when I was there they played in Sunbury and were only getting 3k attendances. To be honest they are starting from scratch. Hopefully they will do well but it will be tough, main thing is that they are starting with the new stadium while still in the premiership.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

In fairness, their head coach / director of rugby or whatever Kidney is.... is fairly shocking too