Leinster v Glasgow Fri 28 Feb KO 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster v Glasgow Fri 28 Feb KO 19:35

Post by wixfjord »

I thought Lowe was much better this week than last, but still looks a yard or two off the pace. Got caught with footwork a few times and he still has a bad habit of throwing unnecessary 50/50 offloads (which might harm his Irish chances).

He hasn't replicated last years for really, but hopefully he ups it a level again for the QF.

We'll really need him, Larmour, Ringrose etc to be firing to unlock that defence.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

wixfjord wrote:I think calls to start Baird against Saracens are very premature (and from what he has been saying publicly I think Leo agrees).

Huge difference playing a league game against Glasgow B and playing what's essentially a test pack in a tight Euro knockout game.

We saw last year how powerful Sarries' pack can be. We'll need all our size and experience to overcome them.

He may be in line for a bench spot though if we go with Fardy at 6.
I suspect you are right re starting but there is a solid case for the bench second row berth if Fardy starts at 6. Good problems to have.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Blueberry wrote:What a fantastic 80 minutes of Entertainment. Baird yes brilliant but the entire team were spot on and it was simple stuff, quick fast ball, running onto it at speed perfectly executed.

So hard to single players out as across the board it was excellent but Fardy, Baird, Deegan, Kearney, Lowe and Luke all stood out............thought Luke was excellent, simple quick ball nicely in front of carriers, simple stuff but spot on.

Baird really has to be involved v Saracens - he is that good - I wonder would they consider Baird and Ryan starting with Toner on the bench and Fardy in the backrow - having Fardy and Ryan and Baird on the pitch at the same time could be explosive...........then VDF and Doris at 8 with Deegan on the bench. With Healy, Furlong and Cronin starting and Dooley and Porter and Kelleher on the bench that is one hell of a mobile ball carrying pack. Of course that leaves out Ruddock totally....................jeepers what a talented bunch. And Murphy and Connors. Cripes......

What a time to be a Leinster Fan...........
Don’t forget, Conan hopes to be back by then
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Twist wrote:
Blueberry wrote:What a fantastic 80 minutes of Entertainment. Baird yes brilliant but the entire team were spot on and it was simple stuff, quick fast ball, running onto it at speed perfectly executed.

So hard to single players out as across the board it was excellent but Fardy, Baird, Deegan, Kearney, Lowe and Luke all stood out............thought Luke was excellent, simple quick ball nicely in front of carriers, simple stuff but spot on.

Baird really has to be involved v Saracens - he is that good - I wonder would they consider Baird and Ryan starting with Toner on the bench and Fardy in the backrow - having Fardy and Ryan and Baird on the pitch at the same time could be explosive...........then VDF and Doris at 8 with Deegan on the bench. With Healy, Furlong and Cronin starting and Dooley and Porter and Kelleher on the bench that is one hell of a mobile ball carrying pack. Of course that leaves out Ruddock totally....................jeepers what a talented bunch. And Murphy and Connors. Cripes......

What a time to be a Leinster Fan...........
Don’t forget, Conan hopes to be back by then
I know it's getting silly isn't it and then Leavy fingers crossed comes back too......
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

For a match that was signalled in advance to be a potential banana skin, that was impressive. Very enjoyable as well to see the two young out halves get more experience in tricky enough conditions. Baird definitely one for the future but will be interested to see if he can bulk up a bit over the next few years.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

offshorerules wrote:For a match that was signalled in advance to be a potential banana skin, that was impressive. Very enjoyable as well to see the two young out halves get more experience in tricky enough conditions. Baird definitely one for the future but will be interested to see if he can bulk up a bit over the next few years.
Bulk up? I think we want him at his optimum whatever that is.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

ronk wrote:
offshorerules wrote:For a match that was signalled in advance to be a potential banana skin, that was impressive. Very enjoyable as well to see the two young out halves get more experience in tricky enough conditions. Baird definitely one for the future but will be interested to see if he can bulk up a bit over the next few years.
Bulk up? I think we want him at his optimum whatever that is.
He could probably do with a couple more KGs on him but he also needs a point of difference. His speed is obviously a real asset and something he'd do well not to lose by trying to tip the scales in the mid 110's
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Watched the highlights, to score that many trys against a good Glasgow side is a terrific feat

This side may not be the best leinster side ever but this squad must be, the quality of rugby your playing is something else

I know the business end of the season is still to come but you already have 1 trophy all but won'

If you can win the other two after this league campaign, the amount of trys you have scored, the number of young players blooded

Then this must go down as your best season ever?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Highlights up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZW39ypxjZM .

I know it's difficult to include all the tries, when we score so many, but I struggle to see why they left out one of our tries...and then included over 30 seconds of hand-shaking at the end.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Nice comments about this game and was just reviewing the ESPN Rugby stats for it. A total of 7 penalties awarded by Nigel (3 / 4). Well done Nigel, a major contribution to a very entertaining game.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Lots of talk here about Baird bulking up...sure kinda like him the way he is !! If he puts on two stone he ain't going to be galloping away like a 13 !!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oh and that try, some details:

* Baird received a pass from Harry Byrne 3 metres into Glasgow half, 12m from touch
* Baird travelled the next 52m (diagonal) in 29 strides before scoring under the posts
* Although he only directly beat one player, he outstriped four Warriors in pursuit
* His run was a swerving, rather than side-stepping, effort and he looked like he was accelerating for about 20 strides or 40 metres
* Because of his size, it is likely that Baird generated the greatest momentum of any Leinster player this Season, just as he crossed the Glasgow 22m line.

Perhaps not as technically brilliant as Larmour's try against Munster but right up there in the upper tier for quality and being an unstoppable effort. No Glasgow player was ever in a position to tackle him.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Nice comments about this game and was just reviewing the ESPN Rugby stats for it. A total of 7 penalties awarded by Nigel (3 / 4). Well done Nigel, a major contribution to a very entertaining game.
Nigel didn't really allow a contest at breakdown and in this game it led to great free-flowing rugby.