Leinster 2019/2020 - Strengths and Weaknesses

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Leinster 2019/2020 - Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by Oldschool »

Mildly is doing a lot of great research on Leinster's positional depth.
Probably a bit early but based on Mildly's input where do we look strong and where could we be exposed.
Starting at 15, RK got another contract which pretty much highlights what is probably our weakest position.
Time for a Mildly update, be liberal.
Thanks in advance.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster 2019/2020 - Strengths and Weaknesses

Post by Ruckedtobits »

From a League perspective, I think we should be strong enough to lead the Conference all season. The play-offs will be all about how much appetite remains in the Squad come next May / June.

From a European perspective, hooker, back-row, back-three are the areas in which I believe we could be targeted.

Hooker, because of pure scrummaging which I believe will be the outcome of new law interpretations;
Back-row, because of the loss of Leavy & SO'B, with Murphy gone already;
Back-three, RK aging and possibly losing focus for Club games. Larmour, not yet Kolbesque. Lowe 'wobbled' this year and IMO, did not progress upwards. Ferg, DK & Adam Byrne may give depth but don't match Maitland & Williams quality.

Overall, I believe a lot of our younger crew will advance well this Season. However, the quality needed to re-capture the HC is going to be an elite performance in every Pool & knock-out game and that requires top class skills and real hunger. But fingers crossed, it is possible
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jaysus some wobble! 11 tries in 11 games, despite the ban and the recurring issues with the three player rule.

Hopefully he wobbles as badly next season!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Can Sexton stay healthy and in-form?
Can they expand backplay with a 2nd distributor?

Biggest thing for me is the next generation stepping up, the 1st XV right now if fairly locked in without much real competition for 1st choice outside of 9.. that needs to change.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Can Sexton stay healthy and in-form?
Can they expand backplay with a 2nd distributor?

Biggest thing for me is the next generation stepping up, the 1st XV right now if fairly locked in without much real competition for 1st choice outside of 9.. that needs to change.
There are positions open for grabs for high profile games this season given rest and injuries to be expected.

I'm very excited to see if Conor O'Brien can kick on this season. He seems to have everything in his locker to make a top class 12.

Jimmy O'Brien seems to be a naturally gifted player. Some have said it on here and I agree he could really prosper at the Carbery-esque fullback role and give that second playmaker option we need.

I wonder will Kelleher live up to the hype. I can't see Tracy and Byrne improving much further beyond their current level.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Is there positions up for grabs? Don't see many personally.

There is a clear, noticeable gap between 1st choice players and the rest of the squad. Which is understandable but not great from an overall view of the health of leinster rugby.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:Is there positions up for grabs? Don't see many personally.

There is a clear, noticeable gap between 1st choice players and the rest of the squad. Which is understandable but not great from an overall view of the health of leinster rugby.
Well you're more optimistic than I am that we can have our first choice 15 out on the pitch for each and every high profile game!
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

mildlyinterested wrote:Is there positions up for grabs? Don't see many personally.

While I'd normally agree having a gap in quality isn't ideal, it's slightly different in Leinster since the gap is from world class to "just" a very good provincial player at worst in most cases
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Weaknesses: No out and out pace in the back-line, vulnerable at hooker, possible lack of top quality depth at second row, scrum-half (at the highest level).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

neiliog93 wrote:Weaknesses: No out and out pace in the back-line, vulnerable at hooker, possible lack of top quality depth at second row, scrum-half (at the highest level).
Definitely.

Larmour was featured on a fastest players in rugby youtube compilation. When he stepped 6 in Thomand he was caught by Zebo on the angle.
Acceleration and COD aside his pace is quite average for a top level winger.

Daly is quick but hasn't been pushing first 23 much.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I don't see too many weaknesses this year that we didn't have last year, with the exception of loosehead. Jack McGrath moving has weakened us there considerably. He didn't have a good season last year, but he's a quality player. Leavy is obviously a huge loss.

Against that, we're going to be stronger at scrum-half with Gibson Park now Irish-qualified and O'Sullivan having built a foundation of pro rugby.

Reider's loss has to be offset by Conor O'Brien's emergence. Reider had the best season of his career, but COB has test potential and should be a big player for us in the Pro14 next season. Personally speaking, I'll miss Reider's artistry [no other word to describe it!]

Mick Kearney's loss should be offset by Jack Dunne, who has a much higher ceiling. Dunne's debut against Treviso was outstanding; he showed the same sort of physical abilities that Iain Henderson displayed at the equivalent stage of his career. Mick averaged about 500mins/season over 4 seasons at Leinster and he never became a reliable selection - contrast his av. mins/season with Ross Molony's [approx 1010mins] over the same period, and he should be a manageable loss. To me, it's addition by subtraction: with Kearney gone, Dunne will get more games, improve more quickly and give us a better player.

There are so many young players coming into the side next year who have already got experience of senior rugby ahead of program: Dunne, COB, Doris, Frawley, Penny, Kelleher, Baird and O'Sullivan. I expect that they'll all make bigger contributions next season than last. Ditto lads like Dooley, Connors, Abdaladze and Josh Murphy.

One place where we're not going to be short is in the back three: RK, Lowe, Larmour, Ferg, AB+, DK, Barry Daly, Kelleher and Keenan gives no fewer than nine back three players in the senior squad, and we have further options in Rory O'Loughlin, Joe Tomane, and Jimmy O'Brien, who all started games in the back three last season.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I'm not sure we've had anyone with real sustained pace for a decade - not since Den retired
I have Bumbleflex
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

I'm really looking forward to the period before the established players return even if it means a loss or two.That will tell us how good the young lads are. There will still be lots of seasoned pro's beside them - Molony, Bent, Fardy, Lowe, JGP, Tracey, Byrnes x about 10. It's not like the Cheika era games away to the Dragons.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'm not sure we've had anyone with real sustained pace for a decade - not since Den retired
Lote Tuquiri surely. A glorious 3 month stint of blistering pace
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Dave Cahill wrote:I'm not sure we've had anyone with real sustained pace for a decade - not since Den retired
Sean Cronin begs to differ.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Cian Kelleher is as quick as any of our backs. Larmour against him and Daly would be interesting to watch.

I remember watching Kelleher and Mick McGrath tearing saints a new one in a pre season match a few years ago.

Thought that would have propelled Kelleher onto bigger things....instead he was sent off to connacht!!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

carlow man wrote:Cian Kelleher is as quick as any of our backs. Larmour against him and Daly would be interesting to watch.

I remember watching Kelleher and Mick McGrath tearing saints a new one in a pre season match a few years ago.

Thought that would have propelled Kelleher onto bigger things....instead he was sent off to connacht!!
he wasnt sent, he chose to leave.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
Lote Tuquiri surely. A glorious 3 month stint of blistering pace
Funnily enough, I just saw Lote naked.

That wasn't a sentence that I expected to be typing when I woke up this morning.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

mildlyinterested wrote:
carlow man wrote:Cian Kelleher is as quick as any of our backs. Larmour against him and Daly would be interesting to watch.

Same difference. He wasn't going to get game time in Dublin so it was either stay and play for the a team or get experience out west!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

carlow man wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:

Same difference. He wasn't going to get game time in Dublin so it was either stay and play for the a team or get experience out west!
rather large difference actually.