David Aspil(23) - on wc trial
Max Deegan(22) - Signed contract in 2019
Oisin Dowling(22) - Academy Yr 3
Caelan Doris(21) - Signed contract in 2018
Ryan Baird(20) - Academy Yr 2
Scott Penny(20) - Signed contract in 2019
Martin Moloney(19) - Academy Yr 1
Brian Deeny(19) - Academy Yr 1

Rhys Ruddock, Jack Conan and Josh Van Der Flier are all in Irish camp, will all three travel to the WC? We shall wait and see.. currently they are clear 1st choice at each of their positions for Leinster. Scott Fardy will provide cover at blindside in top european game but it's unclear how often else he may be called upon. Unfortunately Dan Leavy is likely to miss the whole season with his knee injury, hopefully he can make a full recovery for the start of next season. Max Deegan is the most experienced homegrown backrower currently in the setup during preseason, the natural 8 expanded his versatility last season playing more 6 and 7. It will be interesting to see what position he is used at primarily this season. Caelan Doris featured heavily last season at 8, will he continue to be the primary backup for Conan at 8 or will he follow Deegans path and move positions in his 2nd full season in the senior squad. Tony Ryan returns to cover the backrow again during the world cup, the 6/8 appeared once 4 years ago during the previous world cup period. Will Connors made his injury return at the end of last season and had some impressive showings, he will hope to stay injury free this season and get gametime at 7 during the World Cup. David Aspil was spotted training some with the senior team last season and returns on a trial during the WC, the bulky openside will be hoping to earn a longer term contract. Josh Murphy and Oisin Dowling will be hoping to get gametime at either blindside or lock if given the chance, long term both are probably more suited for 6 given their size. Fellow lock/blindside Ryan Baird showed star potential at the Junior World Cup, it will be interesting to see if he focuses on lock or blindside this season for leinster. If he does, his older teammates may struggle for game time. Scott Penny missed the junior world cup due to shoulder injuries, the star U20 openside will hope to continue his remarkably quick progress this upcoming season at leinster. Martin Moloney also missed the junior world cup with injury, the U20 blindside is capable of playing openside also, he will hoping to make his leinster senior debut this season. FInally Brian Deeny joined the academy this summer after getting experience playing lock and backrow for the u20s, he remains eligible for that team this season which he will presumably be focusing on.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Re: 19/20 Season Preview: Backrow

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I really think Conan will be starting at 8 at the World Cup. The tail end of last season saw all around performances at 8 that were jaw droppingly good.

Ruddock I don't think will travel initially but he is next cab off the rank and with the injuries we can expect from the back row I don't think we can depend on him being around for Leinster early in the season.

Will Connors looked in danger of being the forgotten man when he was injured and Scott Penny came on the scene but he really impressed me in his very brief cameo last season. Similar to VDF, you can build a game around his work rate. Really impressive and leading the line and a serious engine. He's a decent sized fella also.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Workhorse
Bookworm

Post by Workhorse »

I'd say at the end of this season Scott Fardy, Tony Ryan, Josh Murphy, Oisin Dowling won't be at Leinster any more with Aspil a toss up depending on how well he goes during the WC.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Murphy will be anyway, I believe he signed a 2 year contract last season.