Croke Park May 2nd 2009: 10 years on.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Croke Park May 2nd 2009: 10 years on.

Post by Peg Leg »

olaf the fat wrote:In the week before the game Shane Jennings took the Croke Park tour - during which he was asked did he manage to get a ticket for the game
Was probably Cian :)

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

ronk wrote:
I felt good. Munster were too perfect and overhyped. My only worry was that we'd be exhausted after Quins.

I was in the Stoop in the Quins section and was devastated that they sold tickets for semi straightaway and we had no way to buy tickets.

Managed to get them but it was a struggle
I'd forgotten about that!
A proud Winsome Fluter
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
ronk wrote:
I felt good. Munster were too perfect and overhyped. My only worry was that we'd be exhausted after Quins.

I was in the Stoop in the Quins section and was devastated that they sold tickets for semi straightaway and we had no way to buy tickets.

There were a few grumbles in the Cabbage Patch after the Quins match but we were on such a high it didn't seem to matter. In fairness, Leinster Rugby allowed each Season Ticket holder to buy up to 6 tickets each in order to avoid a repeat of 2006 and it largely worked.

6 of us all decked out in blue arrived on the hill 10 minutes before kick off and couldn't get through the crowd to the large group of Leinster fans so we were surrounded. The Munster fans around us were baffled that anyone was there at all supporting Leinster and they cheered lustily when Felipe had to go off. Our response a few minutes later (a rendition of "Athenry's in Galway") was not taken kindly.

D'Arcy's try was at the far end and we only knew by the crowd reaction (and Sexton's) that we'd scored. Elsom's illegal turnover on our own tryline, Luke's sidestep, O'Driscoll's intercept.

Wow, what a day and I agree with others that, along with Quins at the Stoop, this was the making of modern Leinster Rugby.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
ronk wrote:

I hadn't. Got shite seats in the corner as I was only able to access tickets on the tuesday, after getting back from Quins. Glad it's changed since those days.
http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic ... final+2009
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

was abroad watching on telly. so many vivid memories...rockys barnstorming run. nacewas break and pass out to darcy, fitzys side step and bods intercept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY9cvhLvzkM
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Hornet wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
ronk wrote:

I hadn't. Got shite seats in the corner as I was only able to access tickets on the tuesday, after getting back from Quins. Glad it's changed since those days.
That thread is a real blast from the past isn't it. All those posters that don't come around here anymore, pity.
It's funny to think of all those Munster fans "stealing* our tickets. Maybe about 45-50K of them turned up to witness the bandwagon going over the cliff. :lol:
Probably the last Munster game they ever went to.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

And weren't communions invented after that ..........

Without doubt the greatest day of my life, sorry Mrs B, and sorry off-spring
Genuinely never as happy in my life
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Peg Leg wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:In the week before the game Shane Jennings took the Croke Park tour - during which he was asked did he manage to get a ticket for the game
Was probably Cian :)

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] the person in question was a Munster fan from Laois [POUTING FACE]

Nathan Hines came in to do the tour before Toulouse in 2011. I swooned.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Hornet wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
ronk wrote:

What a brilliant thread! Read it from start to finish (Page 42) and even now I cannot imagine how frenzied so many people became when it looked like Ticketmaster were going to screw up so badly it would be a repeat of 2006.

One name that largely went under the radar in ensuring that Leinster Fans - Yes even Gold Family Member STH from Glenageary- got sorted out was Sinead Coffey in the Leinster Ticket Office. Sinead was a total Leinster fan as well as an Employee and she must have worked 100+ hrs in each of the two weeks before match day. An extraordinary effort leading the Leinster Ticket office and communicating with Ticketmaster.

I was fairly involved at that time with the Squad so a lot of the commotion passed us by. But what a read of the stories and confusion. Certainly, there's an RTE Short Story entry within the 42 pages on that thread.

Great days and capped by the performance and result on the day
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

leinsterfan100 wrote:10 years on.....

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/mu ... 53524.html
This article gets better with age. The irony/karma of his initial argument about succession planning concluding with the following is delicious:

In Leinster, Michael “Butch” Cheika and his Sundance farceur, David Knox, strutted into town and inherited a pretty decent, albeit soft-centred squad. What’s been developed in the years since?

Frankly, not much. Importing instant-fix, High Veldt muscle isn’t going to provide either a medium or long-term solution – given a pack that still doesn’t get the difference between “want” and “need” to win – and gives not even immediate succour when any bought-in, beef-to-the-heel Boer heifer has Achilles’ hooves.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

joooooe wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:
ronk wrote:

There were a few grumbles in the Cabbage Patch after the Quins match but we were on such a high it didn't seem to matter. In fairness, Leinster Rugby allowed each Season Ticket holder to buy up to 6 tickets each in order to avoid a repeat of 2006 and it largely worked.

6 of us all decked out in blue arrived on the hill 10 minutes before kick off and couldn't get through the crowd to the large group of Leinster fans so we were surrounded. The Munster fans around us were baffled that anyone was there at all supporting Leinster and they cheered lustily when Felipe had to go off. Our response a few minutes later (a rendition of "Athenry's in Galway") was not taken kindly.

D'Arcy's try was at the far end and we only knew by the crowd reaction (and Sexton's) that we'd scored. Elsom's illegal turnover on our own tryline, Luke's sidestep, O'Driscoll's intercept.

Wow, what a day and I agree with others that, along with Quins at the Stoop, this was the making of modern Leinster Rugby.
I remember the media spin was that Munster fans would 'outsupport' Leinster fans much as they had done in LR three years earlier. This was aside from Munster being favourites on the pitch.
We managed to get tickets high up in the Davin Stand (but directly above where Darce scored the first try - :D ). When we got there I was very happily surprised at the amount of blue there was in the ground. Nothing like Black Sunday. Possibly still outnumbered but not significantly. And where we were was a row of Leinster with Munster in the rows front and behind. The slagging we got pre-game was pretty good-natured but undoubtedly arrogant. The gradual shift as we got further and further ahead turned to us being the ones shouting the fellas around us out and by the time 75 minutes had passed there must have been an early train back to Limerick leaving because there were loads of empty seats in the rows and front and behind us.

I really can't remember being as happy at the end of a game as I was that day. Many other matches have been highpoints along the way but for the exorcism of Black Sunday and the balance of rugby power in Ireland shifting East that day was very very hard to beat.
Four Stars
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Lar wrote: Many other matches have been highpoints along the way but for the exorcism of Black Sunday and the balance of rugby power in Ireland shifting East that day was very very hard to beat.
This.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Scrumdog
Bookworm

Post by Scrumdog »

Walking back to town after the game. A few bus load of Munster supporters parked up along side mountjoy square. Nothing would stop Tommy getting on the bus and saying fairly loudly to the driver “ Edinburgh please” and then saying “ oh sh!t, I’m on the wrong fuc*ing bus “. Priceless
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

joooooe wrote:
leinsterfan100 wrote:10 years on.....

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/mu ... 53524.html
This article gets better with age. The irony/karma of his initial argument about succession planning concluding with the following is delicious:

In Leinster, Michael “Butch” Cheika and his Sundance farceur, David Knox, strutted into town and inherited a pretty decent, albeit soft-centred squad. What’s been developed in the years since?

Frankly, not much. Importing instant-fix, High Veldt muscle isn’t going to provide either a medium or long-term solution – given a pack that still doesn’t get the difference between “want” and “need” to win – and gives not even immediate succour when any bought-in, beef-to-the-heel Boer heifer has Achilles’ hooves.
It’s the swipe at Isa that gets me. It’s car-crash reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

We had strolled up Dorset St after the game, looking for a spot "drink in" the spoils of victory. On finding most pubs were packed but determined not to go any further, we decided that we'd just have to consume the pints outside and what a wonderful decision it was. We were on our third or fourth pint, basking in the victory & being our usual very sporting selves, when coach carrying a certain team stopped at the traffic lights right beside us (on the corner of Dorset St, Temple St & Eccles St.) ....

On recognising the occupants some guys drinking beside us burst into an appropriate song ...... "It's a long long way to Tipperary" As the song caught on more and more Blues supporters spilled out of that pub and others beside, singing along. In fairness to the Munster players, they just looked back at us and shrugged as if what to say "what can they do" The lights went green and and the bus moved off towards town but we kept on singing!!!

It was probably one of those "you had to be there moments" but what a memory on a highly memorable day!!
rosscarrick
Knowledgeable

Post by rosscarrick »

The night before the game I was in a pub on the quays (not sure its there anymore) and it was decked out in Munster bunting/flags.
Asked the barman if it was Munster owned and he replied saying that they expect Munster to win and be out drinking after the game.

I was in the Sackville after the game and decided to take a break and stroll down to that pub.
It was empty - as in, not a sinner to be seen.

I said to the same barman - you backed the wrong horse and you should see the Sackville!
A night of singing and boozing ensued.
And the lock-in helped.
The French are predictably unpredictable
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

The day Hubris ran headfirst into Nemesis and never even saw it coming. Absolutely glorious, one of the great days.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

bails wrote:And weren't communions invented after that ..........

Could be worse, I saw something on the Sarries fan forum for the semi final putting the case that the Jewish passover was a factor in Sarries pathetic support in Coventry!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Flash Gordon wrote:
bails wrote:And weren't communions invented after that ..........

Could be worse, I saw something on the Sarries fan forum for the semi final putting the case that the Jewish passover was a factor in Sarries pathetic support in Coventry!

Funnily enough, Andy Farrell can’t make this year’s final in Newcastle because his youngest is making his first holy communion in Dublin.