Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster v Glasgow Sat 15.00 Eir

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Gearzbox2 wrote:Raggedy stuff for most of the 80 today sprinkled with some quality
Am I worried about next week like a few on here are....NO!!!
Few huge players to come back in for us in key positions and we’ll be ready for Toulouse

Back to today, I thought in the first half we struggled carrying the ball
Big difference when cronin, Healy and Furlong came in to help SOB out with carrying
I’m not sold on Josh Murphy to be honest, weak in contact in attack and Defence and not a great link player, just my opinion
Jack Dunne did well and Doris had his moments
SoB was ok, bit better, big call between him and Deegan next week

Worrying seeing JGP in a knee brace after, HOS nowhere near that level I’m afraid...he disappeared when we were in there 22 at one stage and we got counter rucked as a result
Robbie H ok, DK very good
Good to see Rob back scoring
I think back 3 next week will be that one today

I agree about not being worried about next week. Glasgow are a good, well coached team. their defense was better than solid...I lost count of the amount of times where we went through 20+ phases inside their 22 but still got knocked back. Plus, they played the weather better than us, I thought.
I haven't been overly impressed with tomene for leinster so far but I thought he had a good game yesterday and stood out in the backline. When he got the ball you felt he would get through the line and make yards, taking one or two defenders with him. In the last 15 mins frawley, instead of tomane, was taking the ball into contact and didn't get nearly the same impact. "give it to tomane lads, ffs" says me, a few times.

looking forward to next week.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Ross Byrne reminds me more and more of Jimmy Gopperth. He is practically useless. He can’t pass, he has no pace, he can’t tackle and takes the ball so that he can’t make a line break. Radical surgery needed at half back. We need to splash the cash.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Jimmy Goppperth had no pace?

Ross Byrne has too, but Goppperth was really fast. Gopperths problem was that he was exactly unlike Byrne.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

fourthirtythree wrote:Jimmy Goppperth had no pace?

Ross Byrne has too, but Goppperth was really fast. Gopperths problem was that he was exactly unlike Byrne.
Gopperth's problem [at Leinster] was that he was coached by Matt O'Connor. He's an outstanding pro.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Jack Dunne looks a real find. If he can add a bit of meat to his bones without losing his footwork he could be a really good player.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Johnny Gray with 41 tackles yesterday! I can't think of anyone ever making more than that, can anyone else?!
Been revised to 43 apparently. Which is frankly just outrageous!
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Raydollard wrote:Ross Byrne reminds me more and more of Jimmy Gopperth. He is practically useless. He can’t pass, he has no pace, he can’t tackle and takes the ball so that he can’t make a line break. Radical surgery needed at half back. We need to splash the cash.
Gopperth's pace was a feature in defence, many a time he chased down an outside back and made the tackle. Just thinking about it makes me wince at RB being handed off for the first Glasgow try. Gopperth also had a fine pass - and Byrne had a few beauties yesterday. I thought Byrne had a good game.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

hugonaut wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Jimmy Goppperth had no pace?

Gopperth's problem [at Leinster] was that he was coached by Matt O'Connor. He's an outstanding pro.
Dai Young appears to have had the opposite effect on him as Marty Moore.....

Gopperth was class, whatever your opinion of the GP, you don’t get player of the season for nothing.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

kermischocolate wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Johnny Gray with 41 tackles yesterday! I can't think of anyone ever making more than that, can anyone else?!
Smashed the Pro14 record.

Glasgow had 7 players with over 20 tackles.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... d-16126597
wise7
Beginner

Post by wise7 »

Raydollard wrote:
Ross Byrne reminds me more and more of Jimmy Gopperth. He is practically useless. He can’t pass, he has no pace, he can’t tackle and takes the ball so that he can’t make a line break. Radical surgery needed at half back. We need to splash the cash.
What a toxic post and sadly not your first by any means!
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

wise7 wrote:Raydollard wrote:
What a toxic post and sadly not your first by any means!
Known troll. Ignore and don't bother responding.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Gopperth and Byrne both have glaring flaws in that neither of them are Ian Madigan.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Jack Dunne looks a real find. If he can add a bit of meat to his bones without losing his footwork he could be a really good player.
He looks excellent.

I'm a fan, but even with that I'm surprised at how well he has done in these games – Treviso and Glasgow are well-coached teams, and they've both fielded their strongest selections in the recent fixtures. The last two games have been at a high standard of rugby, and Dunne has made the step-up with aplomb. Those games weren't a run-out against the Kings, or Dragons or Zebre, they were serious contests ... and he was getting over the gainline, winning contacts and making a load of tackles.

This is a first year academy lock who won't turn 21 until well into next season ... he's miles ahead of the curve. It's an Iain Henderson-esque rate of progress.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Jack Dunne looks a real find. If he can add a bit of meat to his bones without losing his footwork he could be a really good player.
He looks excellent.

I'm a fan, but even with that I'm surprised at how well he has done in these games – Treviso and Glasgow are well-coached teams, and they've both fielded their strongest selections in the recent fixtures. The last two games have been at a high standard of rugby, and Dunne has made the step-up with aplomb. Those games weren't a run-out against the Kings, or Dragons or Zebre, they were serious contests ... and he was getting over the gainline, winning contacts and making a load of tackles.

This is a first year academy lock who won't turn 21 until well into next season ... he's miles ahead of the curve. It's an Iain Henderson-esque rate of progress.
Ssshh! Careless Talk Costs Players
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

hugonaut wrote:
He looks excellent.

It's the sort of form that would see him backing up for the As if he was coming through at Munster. And the sort of form that could see him parachuted to Munster for exactly that reason.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

leinster23 wrote:Despite the loss it was nice to see the much-maligned Tomane and both Kearneys play well. Rob looked delighted when he scored his first try, it's been a long time since he last scored one and it was a nice moment.

SOB was pretty ineffective again, Deegan is in great form and should start next week.

Hopefully Furlong is alright. It's always annoying to lose at home but losing to a first choice Glasgow in a nothing game is hardly the end of the world.
I thought Tomane was really good. He's looking like the player we thought we signed. He looks trim, fit and hungry. SOB made 21 carries for 17 meters and was part of a backrow that was well beaten. We are really missing Josh and Dan, you'd be thinking our 7 would be a major competitive advantage next week under normal cicumstances.

Thought JGP had a poor game, the ball was being riffled out at ankle and head height which didn't help Byrne or the first receiver as Glasgow were miles offside through the whole game.

On the plus side Dev and Henshaw looked good. Tomane was excellent, Dave Kearney had another really good game.

Big question for next week is Lowe or Fardy?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Tomane was our man of the match. He had an excellent game both in attack and defense. I can see him in jersey 23 this week.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

the spoofer wrote:Tomane was our man of the match. He had an excellent game both in attack and defense. I can see him in jersey 23 this week.
He was excellent. Hopefully he can kick on to be a big player for us.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I thought Dev was overall man of the match.

Second decent game in a row from Tomane but that is he least we should expect of an expensive NIQ hire. I would still prefer ROL & COB to him in the centre.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

ronk wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:
Smashed the Pro14 record.

Glasgow had 7 players with over 20 tackles.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... d-16126597

For anyone who likes blogs and stats....
https://ontopofthemoon.com/2019/04/18/w ... -leinster/