Jack McGrath

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bails
Graduate

Jack McGrath

Post by bails »

Confirmation that Jack McGrath moves to Ulster next season.

First and foremost, thank you and best wishes to Jack for all he has done for Leinster over the last number of years. He he has been a great player for us and we will miss him greatly.
I hope things work out for him in Ulster, as I am sure they will as he has plenty of years of top quality rugby to enjoy.

I am extremely dissappointed with a Leinster hat on.
Of course I respect the right of any player to move on or choose another Club.

But I cannot say I like this movement of players whilst under contract. I understand in this case, it is a Central Contract with IRFU, but how is any province supposed to manage player development/succession when players appear to be allowed to break the contract when it suits them.

A less than satisfactory effect of cross Province movement .
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Jack McGrath

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agreed, not sure what Leinster can really do about it but we have to try and stop it.

I think the IRFU need to have a look at how the competition for places helped make Leinster and Ireland so strong last season and things have changed now. There have been injuries too of course but I don't think it's a coincidence that players have moved/are moving and performances have dropped off. Don't care how well we're doing in the league or that we had three teams in the CC QFs, we aren't as strong as last year and less competition has to be a factor IMO. It's not like Jordi or Joey have improved with game time either, at least not IMO.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

bails wrote:Confirmation that Jack McGrath moves to Ulster next season.

First and foremost, thank you and best wishes to Jack for all he has done for Leinster over the last number of years. He he has been a great player for us and we will miss him greatly.
I hope things work out for him in Ulster, as I am sure they will as he has plenty of years of top quality rugby to enjoy.

But I cannot say I like this movement of players whilst under contract. I understand in this case, it is a Central Contract with IRFU, but how is any province supposed to manage player development/succession when players appear to be allowed to break the contract when it suits them.

Agreed, Bails.

Jack is a great guy and has been a super servant to Leinster ... obviously all Leinster fans are disappointed to lose him. I also respect the fact that he wants to play more games, especially more high stakes games.

Sad to see him go, because I thought he was Leinster through-and-through. I don't think our set-up has done anything to alienate him. It's not as though he has been overlooked here when in good form - he's on a central contract, been selected for the Lions, was first choice for Ireland etc. When he was playing better than Healy, he got the nod.

Maybe he needs a change of scenery, because there's more to life than your job. Anyway, very disappointed to see him go.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Agreed.

Does anyone have any insight into the down turn in his form. He has gone from a Lion to not making our first 23. With a green shirt on I would have liked to see him stay and fight for his place.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Fireworks wrote:

Agreed.

Does anyone have any insight into the down turn in his form. He has gone from a Lion to not making our first 23. With a green shirt on I would have liked to see him stay and fight for his place.
He got married.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Fireworks wrote:
There's a small nasty voice inside me sometimes and today its wondering if he's just guaranteed his seat on the plane to Japan
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

D4surfer wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

Agreed.

He got married.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Most of ye lads are a lot more comfortable about this than I am. This is not some squad filler or young lad who might not make it. This is a lad who 3 years ago was regarded as probably in the top 3 in the world. We can not afford to lose that quality and remain competitive.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

the spoofer wrote:Most of ye lads are a lot more comfortable about this than I am. This is not some squad filler or young lad who might not make it. This is a lad who 3 years ago was regarded as probably in the top 3 in the world. We can not afford to lose that quality and remain competitive.
I'm inclined to agree, but we can probably spare some well wishes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He was carrying a knee injury and had surgery to fix it this season.

If the problem was an injury, how does moving fix it?

Ah well super player and we had some great days. I hope it works out for him. And if it could work out for him while being such a disaster that the IRFU would back off this ruinous policy it would be even better.
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Having the top 3 players in any position as the starters for 3 separate provinces is the aim of the IRFU. Wouldn't want to see our guys being shifted but it has happened. McGrath is the biggest name to move, for sure. It will be good for Ireland, good for Ulster, good for Jack and dare I say it, good for Leinster (as far as future planning is concerned). You've a few exciting nippers coming through the academy, this helps remove any log jam that could happen from having Ireland's 1&2 blocking their progression.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

the spoofer wrote:Most of ye lads are a lot more comfortable about this than I am. This is not some squad filler or young lad who might not make it. This is a lad who 3 years ago was regarded as probably in the top 3 in the world. We can not afford to lose that quality and remain competitive.
We're all super happy that he's leaving on his own volition because its entirely his own decision. After all, he was only good until earlier today, since then he's become cr@p so we can do without him and sure won't he be back in a years time anyway. Plus good and all as he was, he was severely lacking in the twin department nor did he share a name with a late 70s MOR pop act and thats no use to man or beast.
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

D4surfer wrote:
Fireworks wrote:

Agreed.

He got married.
That's an old wives tale..
Good luck to Jack in his new life and career.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:
Fireworks wrote:
There's a small nasty voice inside me sometimes and today its wondering if he's just guaranteed his seat on the plane to Japan
Your cynacisn is probably, unfortunately, well justified.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Jackie Brown wrote:Having the top 3 players in any position as the starters for 3 separate provinces is the aim of the IRFU. Wouldn't want to see our guys being shifted but it has happened. McGrath is the biggest name to move, for sure. It will be good for Ireland, good for Ulster, good for Jack and dare I say it, good for Leinster (as far as future planning is concerned). You've a few exciting nippers coming through the academy, this helps remove any log jam that could happen from having Ireland's 1&2 blocking their progression.

It's definitely not good for Leinster, that is an absurd way to spin losing a Test match Lion. No Ulster players who were international class have ever been shifted to another province, ever.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

A test Lion you don't play.

STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Just feel at this stage the tannoy guy should alter his intro "Please put your hands together for what is temporarily your Leinster, because contracts and your word mean jack" No pun intended "And let's give a warm welcome to our vistors these guys who used to play here!"
Currently a shop front for other provinces, and I don't like it.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Jackie Brown wrote:A test Lion you don't play.

He's not being played because the move to Ulster was sewn up some weeks ago.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Let's look at the Ulster team against Leinster and where they grew up:

1.Eric O'Sullivan (Leinster)
2.Rory Best (Ulster)
3.Marty Moore (Leinster, inc. playing at pro level)
4.Iain Henderson (Ulster)
5.Kieran Treadwell (England)
6.Nick Timoney (Leinster)
7.Jordi Murphy (Leinster)
8.Marcell Coetzee (South Africa)

9.John Cooney (Leinster, inc. playing at pro level)
10.Billy Burns (England)
11.Jacob Stockdale (Ulster)
12.Stuart McCloskey (Ulster)
13.Darren Cave (Ulster)
14.Robert Balacoune (Ulster)
15.Michael Lowry (Ulster)

16.Rob Herring (South Africa) 17.Andrew Warwick (Ulster) 18.Wiehann Herbst (South Africa) 19.Alan O'Connor (Leinster) 20.Sean Reidy (New Zealand) 21.Dave Shanahan (Leinster) 22.Luke Marshall (Ulster) 23.Angus Kernohan (Ulster)

With the exception of outside backs the Ulster academy is a disgrace and Ulster are completely losing their identity as a team.
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

neiliog93 wrote:Let's look at the Ulster team against Leinster and where they grew up:

1.Eric O'Sullivan (Leinster)
2.Rory Best (Ulster)
3.Marty Moore (Leinster, inc. playing at pro level)
4.Iain Henderson (Ulster)
5.Kieran Treadwell (England)
6.Nick Timoney (Leinster)
7.Jordi Murphy (Leinster)
8.Marcell Coetzee (South Africa)

9.John Cooney (Leinster, inc. playing at pro level)
10.Billy Burns (England)
11.Jacob Stockdale (Ulster)
12.Stuart McCloskey (Ulster)
13.Darren Cave (Ulster)
14.Robert Balacoune (Ulster)
15.Michael Lowry (Ulster)

16.Rob Herring (South Africa) 17.Andrew Warwick (Ulster) 18.Wiehann Herbst (South Africa) 19.Alan O'Connor (Leinster) 20.Sean Reidy (New Zealand) 21.Dave Shanahan (Leinster) 22.Luke Marshall (Ulster) 23.Angus Kernohan (Ulster)

With the exception of outside backs the Ulster academy is a disgrace and Ulster are completely losing their identity as a team.
Is the academy the right place to direct your ire at? Wouldn't all of O'Connor, Shanahan, Timoney and O'Sullivan be Ulster academy graduates? Or were some of them first signed on development contracts?