Leinster v Benetton Sat 6 Apr KO 19:45 TG4

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

cormac
Rob Kearney

Leinster v Benetton Sat 6 Apr KO 19:45 TG4

Post by cormac »

Can't imagine we'll see too many of Saturday's team for this game.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Edna Kenny
Graduate

Re: Leinster v Benetton Sat 6 Apr KO 19:45 TG4

Post by Edna Kenny »

cormac wrote:Can't imagine we'll see too many of Saturday's team for this game.
Might be a good opportunity to get HOS & Lowe some game time if they're thinking of playing them in the semi final. Will we see Deegan get more time at 7 too?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Maybe we should throw this one. Help Benetton out in their fight with the wildlings for that 2nd spot. Save ourselves for the last game of the season so we stick it to them up in ravers and knock them out of next seasons Heino too! :lol:
See then how many of our guys are "lovin it" beyond the wall when they're stuck in a ruck in deepest Siberia.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Game also on Eir Sport 1 and Free Sports as well as TG4.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

A sight to warm the cockles :D

yellabelly1961
Knowledgeable

Post by yellabelly1961 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:A sight to warm the cockles :D

and mussels!! :D :D
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

yellabelly1961 wrote:
LeinsterLeader wrote:A sight to warm the cockles :D

and mussels!! :D :D
They're alive alive oh
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Mr Owens the ref on Saturday.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Edna Kenny wrote:
cormac wrote:Can't imagine we'll see too many of Saturday's team for this game.
Might be a good opportunity to get HOS & Lowe some game time if they're thinking of playing them in the semi final. Will we see Deegan get more time at 7 too?
I think it makes sense for Hughie to start this one alright, but more in terms of keeping the other two lads out of harm's way. For me, he's not at all a realistic contender to play in a Heineken Cup semi-final. Toulouse's scrum-half Dupont was the single best player I saw over the weekend and his stat line was absolutely phenomenal - 3 clean breaks, 10 defenders beaten and 16 tackles! Holy smokes.

There's only 16 months between himself and O'Sullivan, but Dupont has played an amazing amount of first grade games for a 22 year old: 101 [40+61/23 tries], including 14 tests [5+9/1 try] [source: http://www.itsrugby.co.uk/player-32472.html ]. I don't think there's a better scrum-half in Europe at the moment; once he gets the games under his belt at test level he'll be up there as one of the best in the world. It'd be unwise to put Hughie up against him.

Mick Kearney is playing well and gave us a good pop off the bench against Ulster. He was physical, he really upped our energy levels with his carrying, put in very solid tackles and took care of lineout business as well. He has been impressive for us in 2019, getting back towards his best. I'd be way more confident in him or Ross Molony off the bench in the row than I would be in Hughie O'Sullivan as a scrum-half.

It seems counter-intuitive to leave out Scott Fardy, who has been great for us this season, but if Dev is back in contention it changes the picture entirely. We're shallow at scrum-half, deep at second row and really deep at winger ... so you'd think Gibson-Park [who has been great for us this season] and Fardy would be the two from three. But our backline attack was really average against Ulster, and Larmour was iffy at fullback. Bringing Rob Kearney back in at No15 is [for me] a no-brainer, but that does nothing for our attack. So bringing in Lowe is almost a necessity.

I think that Deegan is a live option at No7 for Toulouse because they keep the ball alive and out of contact so much. They only had 65 rucks against Racing; we had 164 the day before against Ulster. We'll need pace, fitness around the park and a lineout option rather than what O'Brien brings ... and Deegan's not too shabby at the breakdown either. So get him into the team for Benetton and let him continue to figure the position out.

vs Benetton Treviso
Fowards [1-8]: J. McGrath, R. Kelleher [A], M. Bent, M. Kearney, J. Dunne [A], J. Murphy, M. Deegan, C. Doris;
Backs [9-15]: H. O'Sullivan [A], C. Frawley [A], J. Lowe, N. Reid, C. O'Brien [A], B. Daly, R. Kearney
Subs [16-23]: B. Byrne, P. Dooley, V. Abdeladze, O.Dowling [A], S. Penny [A], L. McGrath, J. O'Brien [A], J. Tomane
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Maybe Dupont will be at ten though? That was their first port of call when Holmes went off, and if he picks up a ban that he might start there ahead of Ramos or Ntamack.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

We only have 2 matches before Toulouse. To avoid rust you need to give Park and McGrath a start each, especially McGrath as he's been out. There's also McCarthy if he's still in the HC squad.

If Lowe isn't hurt then he needs gametime, possible both matches.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

ronk wrote:We only have 2 matches before Toulouse. To avoid rust you need to give Park and McGrath a start each, especially McGrath as he's been out. There's also McCarthy if he's still in the HC squad.

McCarthy isn't in the Euro squad
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

still no sign of Molony at training, no mention of him in injury updates either.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

cormac wrote:
ronk wrote:We only have 2 matches before Toulouse. To avoid rust you need to give Park and McGrath a start each, especially McGrath as he's been out. There's also McCarthy if he's still in the HC squad.

McCarthy isn't in the Euro squad
any opportunities to make changes to the Euro squad before the semis ?
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterfan100 »

Are we still allowed to add and take away to/from our Euro squad?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

leinsterfan100 wrote:Are we still allowed to add and take away to/from our Euro squad?
No, the window closed before the QF. Any changes made then were to cover all knockout games up to and including the final.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

mildlyinterested wrote:still no sign of Molony at training, no mention of him in injury updates either.
The A team have a couple of games in the US on 10th and 14th April. Maybe he's preparing for that.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

D4surfer wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:still no sign of Molony at training, no mention of him in injury updates either.
The A team have a couple of games in the US on 10th and 14th April. Maybe he's preparing for that.
I think he is past playing at that level, he is injured.

That "A team" will be more of a development team i.e sub-academy/u20
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

So what type of team are we going to get for this?
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

OTT wrote:So what type of team are we going to get for this?
Sounds as if Henshaw's targeting the Glasgow game for a return, so COB, Reid or, ahem, Tomane at 12 anyway. I'd like to see the two O'Briens in the centre together meself.

On Reid, I wonder will he still join Leicester if they get relegated.