Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's not long since many of us thought Vakh deserved to be ahead of Bent because he wasn't playing well. He's done well recently and I'm a fan but you're exaggerating his status.
Vakh? A good young player- but not one yet that I’d have confidence in a big match. To me after Furlong, it’s clearly between Andrew Porter and Michael Bent. We are told an injury was the reason for Porter’s exclusion on Sunday, I don’t doubt it, but he wasn’t playing that well when he was (supposedly) fit anyway.

Leo and company rate Bent high enough to select him for the squad of our biggest match of the year. He didn’t disappoint- or surprise some of us either. He’s long been unfashionable- but is getting his chance now. On the other hand, I’ve nothing but admiration for Porter, but his progress has notably slowed this season.

They are of course slightly different types of THP, but Michael is clearly being playing better overall than Andrew. That’s not a surprise really- the continued meteoritic rise without a plateauing (temporary hopefully) of the younger man’s progress would have been exceptional.

Michael may never be able to do the extraordinary things that Andrew has wowed us with- but he’s an exemplar of constant high standards in the basics and incremental improvement in the wider skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 especially re Michael Bent.
Some of the vitriol dished out (quiet personal) to him was disgraceful.
Always been a fan, a solid pro who has never let us down.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

What vitriol was dished out?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Personal? The guy may as well not have an off field life, it's not a topic I've seen at all.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Its wet and cold compared to the last 10 days, so back to the screen for a tonic. Have we ever played a more dynamic 9/10 phase attack than that from 12.07 mins on the clock and the, too-long, restart by Ramos. Right, left, right, right, right, left, left, straight, left, left, trrrry. Great stuff which few, if any, teams could resist. Alone of our team, only Larmour and Fardy didn't handle the ball and both assisted in clear-outs. A real team try, at pace and with ferocity and skill.

If I get too nervous between now and the 11th May, I know exactly what to look at to calm the nerves.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

I like Bent but there's no way in the universe he should be picked ahead of a fit Porter. He's slightly more likely to lock down a scrum, but he's a vastly inferior player in every other aspect of the game. Porter is a much more potent threat at the breakdown, a much better carrier, and bizarrely given that he's about 10 years younger far more experienced and proven at games at the top level.

Porter hasn't been playing his best but it's not like Bent was blowing the doors off in the Pro14 either, he was going well enough but could hardly be described as anything near exceptional. That said if Cronin is out then a bench of the Byrne brothers and Porter would be a massive worry in the scrum but Bent wouldn't be my preferred way of fixing that.

As regards the vitriol that he was subjected to when he first arrived here, that was disgraceful and one of the worst chapters in this teams history.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

leinster23 wrote:I like Bent but there's no way in the universe he should be picked ahead of a fit Porter. He's slightly more likely to lock down a scrum, but he's a vastly inferior player in every other aspect of the game. Porter is a much more potent threat at the breakdown, a much better carrier, and bizarrely given that he's about 10 years younger far more experienced and proven at games at the top level.

Porter hasn't been playing his best but it's not like Bent was blowing the doors off in the Pro14 either, he was going well enough but could hardly be described as anything near exceptional. That said if Cronin is out then a bench of the Byrne brothers and Porter would be a massive worry in the scrum but Bent wouldn't be my preferred way of fixing that.

As regards the vitriol that he was subjected to when he first arrived here, that was disgraceful and one of the worst chapters in this teams history.

Bent has been excellent in his last couple of games, far better than Porter who seems to be suffering from a loss of form. I wouldn't have any worries about Bent in his current form being selected over Porter in his. If that changes before the Final then so should the selection, but based on the last month or so, Bent is the second best tighthead on our roster
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

if leinster front row bench is the byrne twins and bent for the final, we better hope the starters can go 70 plus
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
leinster23 wrote:I like Bent but there's no way in the universe he should be picked ahead of a fit Porter. He's slightly more likely to lock down a scrum, but he's a vastly inferior player in every other aspect of the game. Porter is a much more potent threat at the breakdown, a much better carrier, and bizarrely given that he's about 10 years younger far more experienced and proven at games at the top level.

Bent has been excellent in his last couple of games, far better than Porter who seems to be suffering from a loss of form. I wouldn't have any worries about Bent in his current form being selected over Porter in his. If that changes before the Final then so should the selection, but based on the last month or so, Bent is the second best tighthead on our roster
I wouldn't agree, assuming Porter is fit. Bent has been better than usual, and Porter has been worse, but I'd still definitely have Porter. We're going to need to be as physical as possible all through the 80 minutes if we're going to beat Saracens, Porter usually plays a big part in keeping that up off the bench. That said if it is Bent who's on the bench I wouldn't be worried at all, he won't let us down.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A fit an in form Porter beats Bent any day. But Bent is good. His cameo at the weekend was very impressive. It was like he finally sniffed an opportunity to play in a final, the cards looked like they were falling his way. It would be brilliant to see him all sweat and muck on the podium as Johnny lifts the trophy (with Sean of course).
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Oldschool wrote:Maybe this will your memories.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the42. ... 8/%3famp=1
So... Michael Bents first cap was against SA in 2012 when keclan diddley was Irish coach. Munster fans loved to deride him and tried to lump him in with Clint Newland and Peter Borlase. IIRC ‘‘twas that rogue George Hook what lead a bit of a campaign against him, it everyone knows that Hook was a thick and not to be listened to.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

This teams history? I don't recall anyone on here or generally a Leinster fan moaning about him in the slightest. The usual suspects in the press, some since retired, especially at RTE may have put about some misinformed opinions.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:

This teams history? I don't recall anyone on here or generally a Leinster fan moaning about him in the slightest. The usual suspects in the press, some since retired, especially at RTE may have put about some misinformed opinions.
Bent has always been held in high regard by Leinster fans.
However Leinster fans are but the rump of Irishrugbydom and a small rump at that (if you believe the usual suspects)
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

D4surfer wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQlvJ7w9HY

Highlights
2 Years Ago today....

Remember the craic of Lansdowne Road on a Heineken Cup knockout weekend....the roar...the rugby.....

we will relish it all the more after the past 12 months.....
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

brotheroffrank wrote: April 21st, 2021, 8:03 pm
D4surfer wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 3:47 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eQlvJ7w9HY

Highlights
2 Years Ago today....

Remember the craic of Lansdowne Road on a Heineken Cup knockout weekend....the roar...the rugby.....

Georgeous sunny day it was too. Our 1st try was magnificent.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Highlights
2 Years Ago today....

One would wonder how was that not a sellout? It doesn't get much better than that.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Keith wrote: April 21st, 2021, 10:01 pm

Highlights
2 Years Ago today....

One would wonder how was that not a sellout? It doesn't get much better than that.
The heat that day was great what a weekend. Agree couldn’t believe it wasn’t a sell out. We were in great form that day
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Any idea what our head to head results with Toulouse is? Must be in our favour
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Jesus, seeing this at the top of the forum gave me a fright! Thought I'd missed some big news
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

TrapperChamonix wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:04 am Any idea what our head to head results with Toulouse is? Must be in our favour
6 all acording to wiki