Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bluemagic
Enlightened

Re: Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by bluemagic »

Travelling this week so no access to my recording of the game.

Does anyone have a link for ideally full match but even highlights?

Edit: Channel 4 App has the full game
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Brilliant, thanks for that!

I was honestly so taken aback by how well he looked that I had convinced myself that I was crazy for thinking that I'd seen him and was trying to think of an obvious doppelganger.
Has he had the surgery he needs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I doubt it but I've no idea. I'm not saying that seeing him walking around points to anything about his recovery time, I just thought that he'd either still be in hospital or stuck at home unable to move around. So to see him walking around like that was great.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I doubt it but I've no idea. I'm not saying that seeing him walking around points to anything about his recovery time, I just thought that he'd either still be in hospital or stuck at home unable to move around. So to see him walking around like that was great.
Yes, I'm a bit taken aback by that clip where he seems to be walking about without crutches.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What a win. We dominated them from start to finish.

As Leo said after the game, the tryline and scramble defence was probably the most heartening part of the performance. Kepping them tryless is some feat as someone else said.

Henshaw and Lowe add some serious incision to that backline. We're a different team with them in.

Ryan was my MOTM, thought he was excellent. Healy, Conan and Fardy were immense also.

Cronin looks bad, and he'll be a huge loss to or carrying ability in the pack, but thought Tracy was really good when he came on.

Luke was good. Passing a bit ropey at times but I thought he attacked really well.

Anyone see SOB speaking in the circle at the end? Looked highly emotional. Obviously aware it's likely his last competitive game in the Aviva.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We missed 31 tackles btw. Makes it more impressive that we kept them out. There was one stage in the second half where Kolbe made 4-5 guys miss in a row. He's an electric player.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

By the by, watch Larmour joining the maul for the second try. Absolutely barreled into it and knew what to do too.

Love seeing little cameos like that and I'd say Joe loves it also.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

wixfjord wrote:By the by, watch Larmour joining the maul for the second try. Absolutely barreled into it and knew what to do too.

Love seeing little cameos like that and I'd say Joe loves it also.

haha! saw that and thought the same. in the build up to fardys try....larmour saved a crucial turnover by just picking himself and going at the line. allowed us to regroup and the pass went to fardy who touched down.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

A great win indeed! Kudos to the coaches and selectors for their calls on Lowe and O'Brien – Lowe made a huge difference and O'Brien had his best game of the season. They were risky calls in their own way, but both of them panned out well.

It was a really excellent team performance; everyone played well. Healy's pass out of the tackle for Lowe's try was a real highlight for me, a great bit of skill from the loosehead. Jack Conan had a storming game in both attack and defense. He's becoming a go-to player for us in the way that Jamie was for so long. James Ryan put in a James Ryan performance, outstanding in all regards ... and Tadhg Furlong put in a Tadhg Furlong performance, outstanding in all regards. Fardy's huge pass to RK on the counter was another highlight for me – absolutely audacious stuff from the big man, and brilliantly carried off.

Obviously Sexton was absolutely terrific – his goal-kicking was outstanding, his tactical kicking near flawless [with one exception] and he makes our backline so much more threatening. Accomplished game from the old-stager Rob Kearney at the back, in the manner to which we have all become accustomed. Ringer and Henshaw performed excellently in the centres ... great to see them on the pitch together again.

Toulouse are a serious outfit: a truly massive pack with lots of test experience, and pace throughout the backline. It was a cracking occasion on a great day for knock-out rugby, and a really enjoyable game. Well done Leinster!
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I doubt it but I've no idea. I'm not saying that seeing him walking around points to anything about his recovery time, I just thought that he'd either still be in hospital or stuck at home unable to move around. So to see him walking around like that was great.
Yeah I agree, must be great for his state of mind

Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Toulouse's gameplan was strange. They went away from their off-loading, unpredictable running game and tried to out muscle us with their giant pack and 6-2 bench split.

I don't think it was a good idea, but from our point of view it's decent practice for facing $aracens

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:A great win indeed! Kudos to the coaches and selectors for their calls on Lowe and O'Brien – Lowe made a huge difference and O'Brien had his best game of the season. They were risky calls in their own way, but both of them panned out well.

It was a really excellent team performance; everyone played well. Healy's pass out of the tackle for Lowe's try was a real highlight for me, a great bit of skill from the loosehead. Jack Conan had a storming game in both attack and defense. He's becoming a go-to player for us in the way that Jamie was for so long. James Ryan put in a James Ryan performance, outstanding in all regards ... and Tadhg Furlong put in a Tadhg Furlong performance, outstanding in all regards. Fardy's huge pass to RK on the counter was another highlight for me – absolutely audacious stuff from the big man, and brilliantly carried off.

Obviously Sexton was absolutely terrific – his goal-kicking was outstanding, his tactical kicking near flawless [with one exception] and he makes our backline so much more threatening. Accomplished game from the old-stager Rob Kearney at the back, in the manner to which we have all become accustomed. Ringer and Henshaw performed excellently in the centres ... great to see them on the pitch together again.

Toulouse are a serious outfit: a truly massive pack with lots of test experience, and pace throughout the backline. It was a cracking occasion on a great day for knock-out rugby, and a really enjoyable game. Well done Leinster!
I said before the game that we would beat Toulouse by about ten points.
ie Toulouse were nowhere near as good as they were being built up to be.
Yesterday all we did was earn the right to play Saracens in the final.
Yesterday, Leinster weren't tested and it can be argued that, that was because we didn't let Toulouse into the game.
The Ulster game is a much better indicator.
We were up against a team that played for 80 minutes, who defended very well and who didn't allow us to stop them playing.
Saracens will be more of the same only tougher again.
We've won nothing yet, not even close.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

bluemagic wrote:Travelling this week so no access to my recording of the game.

Does anyone have a link for ideally full match but even highlights?

Edit: Channel 4 App has the full game
How do u watch it on the channel 4 app it won’t allow me as I’m not in uk
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Leinster v Toulouse Sunday April 21st 3.15

Post by artaneboy »

Twist wrote:Toulouse's gameplan was strange. They went away from their off-loading, unpredictable running game and tried to out muscle us with their giant pack and 6-2 bench split.

I don't think it was a good idea, but from our point of view it's decent practice for facing $aracens

Yes; I was much more relaxed (but not very really) once I realised that was their tactic. Didn’t see it working for them. And so it came to pass. While Kolbe scared the life out of me all match.

It would be no surprise to see Saracens attempt the English tactic for Ireland from the 6Ns. But I’d foresee us having a much better handle on it than the national team.

Last edited by artaneboy on April 22nd, 2019, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The commentary team kept referring to Toulouse as being a 'young' side but were their 23 really that much younger than ours.
Their pack was over 950kg compared to our 900+kg.
That's man mountain size.
A few of their backs like Huget and Medard aren't exactly spring chickens either.
Larmour, Ryan and Deegan are very young for this level of competition and don't struggle.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
nopeare
Graduate

Post by nopeare »

What a great performance from the full team yesterday. Not sure if anyone else picked up on it but the only criticism of anyone I’d have yesterday would be Mcgrath’s box kicking where he put 2/3 nearly directly up in the air with no distance. We recovered 2 of them I believe but against a stronger aerial team like saracens we could be punished.

James Lowe surely has to get the nod for the final now. After yesterday I’d be sweating if I was JGP
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

A couple of points from yesterdays game:

We arrived at just after 2PM and Toulouse were already running drills with their backs. By quarter past they were nearly all at it. That's about an hour and 15 minutes running drills in that heat. I don't think it stood to them as the match went on.

Anyone who thinks Lowe is just a finisher watch his try again. He performs an expert crocodile roll to clear out after a Conan carry, then seconds later he's over in the corner. Bish, bash, bosh :D
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

LeinsterLeader wrote:A couple of points from yesterdays game:

We arrived at just after 2PM and Toulouse were already running drills with their backs. By quarter past they were nearly all at it. That's about an hour and 15 minutes running drills in that heat. I don't think it stood to them as the match went on.

Anyone who thinks Lowe is just a finisher watch his try again. He performs an expert crocodile roll to clear out after a Conan carry, then seconds later he's over in the corner. Bish, bash, bosh :D

mmm Not sure anyone said that Lowe was 'just a finisher ' ???
When Lowe plays, he brings style , happiness and not a little endeavor to the team, that why in the 3 into 2 scenario for the overseas players, he has to start , if fit
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Thought it was a nice little cameo from Ross Byrne when he came in yesterday. Didn't have a huge amount to do, but that break in particular was good to see. It's an area of his game that has really come on this season.

He's not Sexton and probably won't ever be, but he's more than good enough for this level which is great for us.