Injuries

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Injuries

Post by FLIP »

bluemagic wrote:Leavys injuries: hammy and calf torn off bone ripped ACL, PCL, LCL, MCL, broken fibula

A video of the incident is doing the rounds on WhatsApp. Looks like an Ulster player comes in completely from the side diving into the ru k hitting leavys left knee. Seriously dangerous play.
Jesus, according to my reading there's nothing connecting his upper and lower leg but skin? :shock:

I wish him all the best for his recovery, he's going to need it if that is true.

As for the incident, my view is yes the player was in the side but it's more they both fall awkwardly, and I'm the first to pipe up about dangerous play being let go by officials. Video for anyone that's interested: https://youtu.be/2JuG2cF0eT0
Anyone But New Zealand
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

you can see his left leg snap, double jobbed at the ruck. Christ.

If he plays again, he will be doing very well. Devastating.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

bluemagic wrote:Leavys injuries: hammy and calf torn off bone ripped ACL, PCL, LCL, MCL, broken fibula
Bloody hell, I feel ill just reading that.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
rdsblue
Knowledgeable

Post by rdsblue »

Can anybody confirm whether Ross Moloney is injured or not? Otherwise Mick Kearney must have jumped over him in the pecking order. If he is injured we are getting very low on our 2nd row assets especially if Scott Fardy needs to be used in the back row given our injuries to experienced flankers.
Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the centre of the city.
Oscar Wilde
errlloyd
Beginner

Post by errlloyd »

There is a video of what happened to Dan on Reddit. I don't recommend it. The player in question actually left Ulster post match.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

cormac wrote:
Bloody hell, I feel ill just reading that.
This
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I was in line with and saw it clearly in real time. It was horrific. By far the worst I've ever seen. It's stayed with me all week. I really, really feel for the guy.

The best glimmer of hope is that it was a shin bone broken and not the femur. Hopefully the cartilage is intact, and that means he can treat the knee reconstruction and hammy/calf issues independently from each other and come back from this.

It's really put a massive downer on the season for me. Maybe it's just that I saw it so clearly. News of McGrath leaving is irrelevant in comparison.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm the exact same. Had a good view of him at the time too although couldn't see the injury at all, just the way he fell back.

Anyone know what the treatment plan would be? As in, what order things are operated on and what might have been done already? I don't say that with a morbid curiosity about what he's going through or to try and figure out the recovery times, but just curious about how the medics approach something like that e.g. would they have to wait until the knee is sorted to start work on the calf and hamstring, or is it more important to reattach them straight away?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

rdsblue wrote:Can anybody confirm whether Ross Moloney is injured or not? Otherwise Mick Kearney must have jumped over him in the pecking order. If he is injured we are getting very low on our 2nd row assets especially if Scott Fardy needs to be used in the back row given our injuries to experienced flankers.
Based on Kearney's performance off the bench at the weekend it's likely that the pecking order has, as you suggest, changed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Oldschool wrote:
rdsblue wrote:Can anybody confirm whether Ross Moloney is injured or not? Otherwise Mick Kearney must have jumped over him in the pecking order. If he is injured we are getting very low on our 2nd row assets especially if Scott Fardy needs to be used in the back row given our injuries to experienced flankers.
Based on Kearney's performance off the bench at the weekend it's likely that the pecking order has, as you suggest, changed.
No, Ross Molony is injured.
leinster23
Bookworm

Post by leinster23 »

Jesus Christ. That's awful. You wouldn't wish that on anybody but of all the players he deserved something like that the least
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm the exact same. Had a good view of him at the time too although couldn't see the injury at all, just the way he fell back.

Anyone know what the treatment plan would be? As in, what order things are operated on and what might have been done already? I don't say that with a morbid curiosity about what he's going through or to try and figure out the recovery times, but just curious about how the medics approach something like that e.g. would they have to wait until the knee is sorted to start work on the calf and hamstring, or is it more important to reattach them straight away?
Really hope leavy gets back on the pitch but with an injury like that and the numerous operations ahead alongside intense but very long term physio that he faces, we may never see him play professionally again. Hope I'm wrong but others have struggled to come back from less serious injuries in other sports and the nature of the way he plays means his knee may not be strong enough to take the impact of collision in future games. Praying I'm wrong thou!!!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I don't follow other sports closely enough to know great comebacks, so the only one that comes to mind is the Jean DeVilliers one. (There's an interesting documentary about it online LRIP fyi). He had a horror injury as well - SA Vs Wales - anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament, as well as dislocating his kneecap and tearing his hamstring off the bone. I've seen the clips of that injury, but the Leavy injury at the weekend was much worse looking to my untrained eye. Maybe it's just because it wasn't on TV and it was a guy on the team I love though.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm the exact same. Had a good view of him at the time too although couldn't see the injury at all, just the way he fell back.

My assumption would be that the tendons would need to be re-attached asap in order to have any chance of successfully re-setting the break to the fib.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
bertlim
Beginner

Post by bertlim »

There's another screenshot doing the rounds on whatsapp saying this isn't true. That description sounds like a career ender so hopefully the actual diagnosis isn't as bad.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:I don't follow other sports closely enough to know great comebacks, so the only one that comes to mind is the Jean DeVilliers one. (There's an interesting documentary about it online LRIP fyi). He had a horror injury as well - SA Vs Wales - anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament, as well as dislocating his kneecap and tearing his hamstring off the bone. I've seen the clips of that injury, but the Leavy injury at the weekend was much worse looking to my untrained eye. Maybe it's just because it wasn't on TV and it was a guy on the team I love though.
Yeah I've seen it and it's great but I'm useless at remembering details from things like that :lol:

Probably worth a rewatch, and at least there's a happy ending.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Peg Leg wrote:

My assumption would be that the tendons would need to be re-attached asap in order to have any chance of successfully re-setting the break to the fib.
Lovely. I just can't get my head around an injury where you'd have to park the mending of a broken leg for days/weeks in order to get other stuff done first.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Lovely. I just can't get my head around an injury where you'd have to park the mending of a broken leg for days/weeks in order to get other stuff done first.
I can go into detail great about alternative treatment but its all bolts, allen keys, carbon fibre and spare parts.
Honestly though and putting career aside, Dan has a horrific wolverine like road ahead of medical procedures to prepare for medical procedures. He's in his prime as a player but also as a young man, who now has to give over a huge period of his formative years to limited mobility, pain and mental anguish. My thoughts are with him and have no doubt he will come out the other side.

"It was Mrs. O'Leary's cow"
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Depressing.

I know all players are tough but yeah he really does strike me as a guy who will push himself to the extreme and do whatever it takes to get back.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I think we should stop trying to diagnose and project what did, is currently and might yet happen to Dan's injury. It's already too depressing a topic and hungry as we all are to assess and believe in his future, we are most likely to get it wrong and add more hyperbole to what is a tragic personal situation.

At the very least he misses a year of rugby, a double defence of two trophies and most of all a RWC when arguably close to the peak of his powers. At worst his life as a player is now over. That is leaving aside whatever physical and mental issues this whole episode brings in the short and long term.

Let's do our bit to dampen the rumour mill and just wish him and his care team well.