Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

Post by neiliog93 »

Got out of jail there. Treadwell and Cave would be two guys I would single out for Ulster who played extremely well. If Treadwell can keep that up he'll definitely add to his very limited experience of the Ireland camp. Leinster got out of jail today because of youthful stupidity/arrogance from Stockdale.

Leinster's best players were Ross Byrne (even with a few mistakes), Conan, Ruddock, James Ryan (as always) and Adam Byrne (who grew into the game in attack, defence and the high ball after a shaky start). Just relieved to have gotten through the game, all the injuries (both pre- and mid-game) had a big impact, as did the disruption of having so many players in the Ireland camp for the Six Nations. They'll be better prepared, integrated and organised (as well as having had a wake-up call) for the semi-final, which I have a sneaking suspicion might be against Toulouse in the Aviva.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gutted

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Devastated for Leavy, he made a huge difference when he was on. Cronin was our best back and Ryan is a freak.

Stockdale keeps his head and we were goosed, a very close thing.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

That was as physical an encounter as Leinster have had in Dublin for a long time. Well done Ulster, a superb performance. Welcome back.
awaaf
Bookworm

Post by awaaf »

I didnt see a replay but D Kearney seemed to do a good job in stopping Stockdale having 2 hands to play with for the non-try.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

I've never been so deflated after a knock out win.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Conan, Ryan, Ruddock superb, great cameo from Mick Kearney.

Ross Byrne some balls for that kick with cramp.

Poite atrocious.......really atrocious....

Stockdale will be having nightmares.

Awful to see Leavy, does not look good.

If we can get Henshaw and J10 back and possibly Toner for the Semi we can make Newcastle.

Serious argument for risking no JGP and Lowe starting.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

wixfjord wrote:The old traditional HEC nerves are at me today!

Allez les bleus.
You left it late enough.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Phew!
Ulster played well, no doubt about it, way above anything they have shown this season.
We were ok, but we showed a lot of balls for that last few mins and closed out the game.
For their 2nd try, seemed like an obvious forward pass in the build up to Marshall's grounding, they never showed a replay so ,,,,,?
Once again we found a way to win. Got to be proud of the guys. And the management of course. :clap:
Really hope Toulouse win tomorrow.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Blueberry wrote:Conan, Ryan, Ruddock superb, great cameo from Mick Kearney.

Ross Byrne some balls for that kick with cramp.

Poite atrocious.......really atrocious....

Stockdale will be having nightmares.

Awful to see Leavy, does not look good.

If we can get Henshaw and J10 back and possibly Toner for the Semi we can make Newcastle.

Serious argument for risking no JGP and Lowe starting.
Yes, Yes and Yes again.
We have got to get Jlo on the field.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

blockhead wrote:Phew!
Ulster played well, no doubt about it, way above anything they have shown this season.
We were ok, but we showed a lot of balls for that last few mins and closed out the game.
For their 2nd try, seemed like an obvious forward pass in the build up to Marshall's grounding, they never showed a replay so ,,,,,?
Once again we found a way to win. Got to be proud of the guys. And the management of course. :clap:
Really hope Toulouse win tomorrow.
Looked well forward....
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Have no recording of that. Anybody know where I can get a stream replay?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Have no recording of that. Anybody know where I can get a stream replay?
Up on acrossthetasman.com already
I have Bumbleflex
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Ulster fronted up but bottom line - if we play like that we will not win this thing.
We have players to return but we should be better. A fairly limited side made us look ordinary. Plenty of work
for Leo and the rest to do - we are simply not running to full capacity.
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

Crazy crazy game from minute 1 to 80
Before I get into our performance, hats off to ulster...they’re Defence was exceptional and not too shabby in attack too
They took the Racing blueprint from the final and really hammered our ruck and their line speed was very good

To us
We started shaky and gifted them 13 points, Ringrose charge down and 2 brain dead penalties in front of the sticks (Healy and O’Brien I think)
Our backs looked frazzled with their line speed and never settled and we played too much between the 2 10m lines when we should’ve targeted Lowry more in the air
Scrum went really well bar the last one and lineout was generally good, that 5m attack was a killer to lose, don’t know exactly what happened but looked like Fardy had no back lift

Major wake up call, squad will be better for it and imo that’s a huge banana skin to get over
Thought Conan, JR and DK were my stand outs

Interesting to see how tomorrow pans out, love Toulouse to do it but can’t see it happening
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Go Toulouse- we will not want to travel to Racing playing like this....yes Ulster were good but we offered little offensively....thought our back 3 were insipid....Byrne is an athlete.....not convinced about having it all rugby wise.....DK spirited but limited.....Larmour for all the hype was a speed bump for Stockdale...this was a game made for J Lo....Overall we are not running full throttle.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

The gaps were there when they sent shooters. We adjusted by playing deeper and some better passing from Reid. But we didn’t exploit it.

We need to improve in that area. They targeted Larmour’s passing under pressure. The options were usually there we just couldn’t get it to stick.

Don’t think Ross Byrne was fully fit, but he did well.

Adam Byrne did some effective damage limitation on Stockdale.

Not a good game for Schmidt: Best on crutches, Leavy on a stretcher. Most of the old reliables are injured or out of form.
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

Watching the highlights after being at the match - the Ringrose blockdown looks worse with each viewing. He ran sideways, then slowed down to kick. Two Ulster players right on him, but there were multiple Leinster forwards close by for protection if he took it into contact and fought to buy a few seconds. He's a smart guy, I'd be surprised to see him doing that again.

Stockdale - poor guy - but that habit of dotting down one-handed was going to bring trouble eventually. I guess it's good for Ireland that he came a cropper in a lower level match, and should learn from it.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Good result if not the performance we've come to expect I'd say.

Ulster's first 10, possibly 13 points were gifted to them, really surprised at Ringer doing the same thing twice.

Our backplay was pretty poor and I thought we could've done with RK starting. Larmour was caught a few times, albeit was probably our best back coming into the line.

Thought Ryan and Conan were our best players.

Most worrying now is our 7 selection. SOB just doesn't look like the player he was.

Can we win two trophies with him at 7?

I wonder might we see Penny dropped in at some stage...
FourMasters
Knowledgeable

Post by FourMasters »

wixfjord wrote: I wonder might we see Penny dropped in at some stage...
Is Penny in the squad?