Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

bails
Graduate

Re: Leinster v Ulster: AVIVA, Heino QF

Post by bails »

Might have been a bit easier to manage, if players were not put under presssure by IRFU to transfer to other Provinces, who don't seem to share our interest in spending time and monet developing players in their Academy[/quote]Are they put under pressure or as players they want to play rugby regularly?

What's the population of Leinster Vs the likes Munster, Ulster and Connacht? What religious divide is Ulster battling against in general society that means they can only really pull from 50-60% of the population (this is slowly changing)?

Players leave Leinster to further their careers, only pro for a short period of time. Why waste it?

I don't buy your excuses for the underachievement of the Ulster Academy.
Population of Ulster is similar to that of Leinster.
We also compete against Gaelic Football, Hurling and Soccer
Leinster also suffered a somewhat discrimatory issue, as they were traditionally seen as a Dublin Club and the preserve of Private Schools -
They have worked hard to broaden the base around all counties of the Province, through talent identification , development Officers and coaching within clubs .
Leinster currently in process of developing 5 Regional Academy/Sub Academy centres throughout the Province at a cost c €1.0m each to assist in the management of this talent

It appears Ulster have been slower in understanding the need to develop its talent from with - For too long Ulster were happy to throw their resources into overseas "stars", who it turned out didnt manage to win anything for the Province.
Unfortunately its a long hard process, much harder than bringing a few more overseas players.

Our gripe is that Leinster are currently getting penalised for doing the hard work, for going beyond in developing its own and for lifting Irish Rugby over the last 10 years
And to your original point, yes players want to play, and I have no problem in anyone deciding their future is elsewhere. However players don't leave Clubs mid contract, unless the IRFU are encouraging and permitting them to do so, which is a kick in the teeth to Leinster in respect of their planning and in respect of the work and time they have invested in the player.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

bails wrote:Our gripe is that Leinster are currently getting penalised for doing the hard work, for going beyond in developing its own and for lifting Irish Rugby over the last 10 years
And to your original point, yes players want to play, and I have no problem in anyone deciding their future is elsewhere. However players don't leave Clubs mid contract, unless the IRFU are encouraging and permitting them to do so, which is a kick in the teeth to Leinster in respect of their planning and in respect of the work and time they have invested in the player.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That’s it as well put as I’ve seen.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Avenger wrote:
bails wrote:Our gripe is that Leinster are currently getting penalised for doing the hard work, for going beyond in developing its own and for lifting Irish Rugby over the last 10 years

You need to be getting the ear of the World Rugby up the team size from 15-30. [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster are back in European knock-out action this week but it's fair to say the build-up has been pretty low key.

The gloom from the wreckage of Ireland's Six Nations campaign is certainly still hanging around and if we're honest the prospect of playing Ulster doesn't quicken the heart the same as playing a Wasps, Saracens or Toulouse. Leinster are fifteen point favourites with the bookies and that sounds about right. Leinster really should win the game comfortably and more than likely will.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Avenger wrote:

You need to be getting the ear of the World Rugby up the team size from 15-30. [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
We will manage, just hate to see others reap rewards without putting in the hard work.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

cormac wrote:
IanD wrote:In Sexton’s absence, Rhys Ruddock again captains the side in a back row unit alongside Sean O’Brien — who didn’t take part in the captain’s run today but is fully fit and ready to go — and Jack Conan.

https://www.the42.ie/johnny-sexton-lein ... 9-Mar2019/

Don't see the point of starting SOB if not fit for captains run. It is not like he is pulling up trees form wise and can't be said to be fully fit either.
SOB never takes part in the captain's run. That's nothing new. Been doing it for several years now.
Never heard this before. If it is the case clearly proves he is over the hill and IRFU/Leinster made the right decision in not renewing contract.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

IanD wrote: Never heard this before. If it is the case clearly proves he is over the hill and IRFU/Leinster made the right decision in not renewing contract.
I believe this is what your academics call a logical fallacy.
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I suspect that Leo's public comments to media today possibly come as close to reality as any Irish Coach has outlined for years past. Some really tough calls have been made, not least Rob K, Dan Leavy and JGP. Jack McG may also be feeling a little underloved but that has been the case since Christmas and Ed Byrne has fully justified his bench selection throughout this Season.

The selection of Larmour may have at least as much to do with the Ulster team as with any inadequacies in Rob's game. Ludik's absence and Balacoumbe's presence possibly represent real attacking opportunities for Leinster. On our side McGrath may have got the nod over JGP once Sexton was missing. Byrne & McGrath have been in harness for years and generally play well together.

The back-row selection pits four Leinster flankers against each other and SO'B's emotional intelligence, coupled with his influence over hundreds of training sessions with and against Murphy and Timoney may have been the key. Ruddock was always going to fill the No 6 slot but Conan has a chance tomorrow to lay down a significant marker.

Leavy and JGP off the bench have the capacity to up the tempo markedly and Leinster may need that in the final quarter.

The game will be won and lost up front. Both teams may attack selected opposition line-outs. Both will try to pressure their opponents to throw long. Ulster will undoubtedly have Moore and Best targeting Cronin at Leinster scrum time. Leinster will need to have their maul in good working order, on both sides of the ball, because McFarland may well be the more astute Coach in this area.

Cooney v McGrath may be an area of key importance and if Cooney get the upper hand, it will indicate the Ulster pack are doing better than expected. As always, ball at the breakdown will be vital but RO'L will have to be very strong and resolute in his tackling, because he will probably get lots of practice against McCloskey.

Above all, Leinster must play this game as a final, not a League game. Dog eat dog and don't give them a sniff. Ruthlessness may be the winning card.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

Good Morning All, enjoy the game and treat yourselves to some lovely pints on the way home.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

One thing I just noticed is how Irish this All Irish Quarter-final is - one NIQ and one NIE on the Leinster team and one NIQ on the Ulster team - 46 players, 43 of whom could play for Ireland in the morning, 44 of whom are available for World Cup selection
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

28 players from Leinster playing in this game today.

There are more ex-Blackrock pupils playing for Ulster than Leinster.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote:28 players from Leinster playing in this game today.

All we need now is Backrower8 for the Michaels update and we’re sorted
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Jonny tight lips wrote:

All we need now is Backrower8 for the Michaels update and we’re sorted
:lol: :roll: :green clap:
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

There are actually more Blackrock College alumni playing for Connacht (3: Thornbury, Heffernan and Buckley), Ulster (4: O'Sullivan, Timoney, Murphy, Shanahan) and Munster (3: Conway, Carbery, Loughman) than Leinster (1: Ringrose) this weekend.

But with only one in the Leinster squad you could make all sorts of stats out of that. St Andrew's across the road from Blackrock have more players in the Leinster squad (2: Larmour and Porter) than Blackrock, for example.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The old traditional HEC nerves are at me today!

Allez les bleus.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

joooooe wrote:

There are actually more Blackrock College alumni playing for Connacht (3: Thornbury, Heffernan and Buckley), Ulster (4: O'Sullivan, Timoney, Murphy, Shanahan) and Munster (3: Conway, Carbery, Loughman) than Leinster (1: Ringrose) this weekend.

But with only one in the Leinster squad you could make all sorts of stats out of that. St Andrew's across the road from Blackrock have more players in the Leinster squad (2: Larmour and Porter) than Blackrock, for example.
Pretty sure Shanahan went to Belvo and I think I read O’Sullivan was Templeogue. Good lot of them around all the same.

Anyway C’mon Leinster :happy clapper:
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

OTT wrote:
joooooe wrote:

Pretty sure Shanahan went to Belvo and I think I read O’Sullivan was Templeogue. Good lot of them around all the same.

Anyway C’mon Leinster :happy clapper:
My apologies to both!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

That pass was a mile forward!
Anyone But New Zealand
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Should be elated but that injury to Dan Leavy....gutted for him. (And myself too kinda)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Twist wrote:Should be elated but that injury to Dan Leavy....gutted for him. (And myself too kinda)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly how I feel. We won but paid a heavy cost for it. Not just Leavy but RB potentially too. I just hope we get a few of our other players back before the semi final.
Anyone But New Zealand