tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Re: Munster v Leinster Sat 29th 5.15pm

Post by tomthefan »

artaneboy wrote:
tomthefan wrote:Any sign of Deco?
Hey- don’t push the trolling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't seen him so I was just worried that he might be taking the result desperate hard.
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

no citings for Sexton or Furlong - Lowe's hearing is on Wednesday
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Barry wrote:no citings for Sexton or Furlong - Lowe's hearing is on Wednesday
Why would Sexton have been cited?
Dont Panic!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dexter wrote:
For his hand off on Wycherly as he was trying to drive him into the ground off the ball.

Some Munster fans thought he was retaliating.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dexter wrote:
Perceived wisdom from Turnipistan was that there may have been a stamp on Cadbury’s jewels?
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Lowe I suspect will get 2 weeks............the only hope is that the red card may be deemed enough and on repeated viewings it does look like to me it was nothing more than getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time rather than anything malicious.Yes, it was a red card he needs to get out of there but it wasn't a deliberate attempt to bring Conway down.

On a side note I've watched the game back and it was an atrocious spectacle from start to finish, we lost the rag, Munster kept winding it up and we kept responding. Little or no rugby of interest was played, lots of niggle, Carbery got lots of niggle and gave lots of niggle, the bitterness on both sides over the move is not pleasant to watch and I'd much prefer to have niggle between a Leinster born and bred outhalf and a true Munster head rather than this infighting, the Munster south African bunch including CJ are a never ending bunch of wind up merchants looking for a scrap and Sexton blew his top along with several others. James Ryan was outstanding through out again, he is a class above anything and kept trundling. Munster are a very average team, bitter and desperate and while their desperate fans might jump on this as a big win, the reality is they are struggling to produce any quality, happy to let niggle rule the day and are a distant cousin of the great and dominant Munster teams from the 2000's. Leinster need to rise above this cr@p and it was disappointing to watch it all fall apart. In future for this fixture perhaps send the kids on a learning exercise and try and defuse the cr@p.

While Irish Rugby is right now in a good place, the national team more than ever is dependant on the Leinster production line, Munster have little in the pipeline due to the insistence to beg, borrow and steal talent from elsewhere and with Ulster in a similar quagmire if the Leinster production line falters for a few seasons (we can't keep consistently producing James Ryan's, Van der Flier's, Leavy's and Larmour's) there is little depth in the Munster and Ulster pipeline to fill the gaps. The IRFU have been much congratulated in recent years but we need to be careful that a single province production line isn't the only way forward.

In Munster right now I'm struggling to see any Munster player outside of O'Mahony, Earls and Murray who is a Munster born and bred player who may make a big international contribution, and none are spring chickens, that is a concern long-term.
carlow man
Enlightened

Post by carlow man »

Spot on in all of that. Munster seem incapable of producing top class locks, props or 10's. Leinster are almost a victim of their own success. Producing big numbers year after year and struggling to give them all ample game time is causing them big problems. Munster and Ulster seem to think it's easier to wait for some young players from Leinster to make the switch to them rather than concentrate on their inability to produce good numbers of top quality home grown players.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

carlow man wrote:Spot on in all of that. Munster seem incapable of producing top class locks, props or 10's. Leinster are almost a victim of their own success. Producing big numbers year after year and struggling to give them all ample game time is causing them big problems. Munster and Ulster seem to think it's easier to wait for some young players from Leinster to make the switch to them rather than concentrate on their inability to produce good numbers of top quality home grown players.
The current i.e. this season, position in Ulster, is different as they've given youth a run in every line in the team, bar second-row. Admittedly, some of their young guns have come up the road, but they have produced some themselves and will present more before the Season is over.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Dexter wrote:
Perceived wisdom from Turnipistan was that there may have been a stamp on Cadbury’s jewels?
Really? Was there any footage?
I haven't looked at anything about the game, apart from here, as most of it's nonsense and doesnt fit with my blue tinted view of the world...
Dont Panic!
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

carlow man wrote:Spot on in all of that. Munster seem incapable of producing top class locks, props or 10's. Leinster are almost a victim of their own success. Producing big numbers year after year and struggling to give them all ample game time is causing them big problems. Munster and Ulster seem to think it's easier to wait for some young players from Leinster to make the switch to them rather than concentrate on their inability to produce good numbers of top quality home grown players.
Here’s the thing. On 60 minuets with the game in the balance, Leinster took off the world player of the year and replaced him with a second year academy player they’re trying to train into a new position.

How many times over the years have Leinster sent young teams to dragons or Edinburgh or wherever to get hammered? How many times have we played weakened teams in interpros?

When Carbery left Leinster he had 40+ caps at the age of 21, Byrne had 30+ ... Munsters promising 10 the same age as Carbery had something like 3 caps amounting to 15 minuets of game time.

“De populayshun” isn’t an excuse, we have twice the player numbers as Munster, but are producing between 10 to 20 times the amount of international quality players as them over the last 10 years. They don’t develop players because they’re desperately clinging on to top tier status and they are plugging holes on the sinking ship with Saffers, orange men and the goys at a rate of notts as to develop players now over signings would see them slip to 4th province status for a while.

We’ve seen 5 to 10k supporters showing up to Thomond to watch a losing team - 16,480 reported attendance of course, we do that too - when you’re bankrupt and begging for players and money from the IRFU, that could be a spiral they might not recover from. The province of Munster is dead, but the club still exists through Leinster, Ulster and South Africa, but they contribute exactly zero playing resources to the national team (10 years since they produced an international starting player and the ones they have produced are near retirement) and are a financial black hole the rest of us pay for.

The rivalry is now against disgruntled former employees and backpackers, Munster as we knew it died long ago.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote: I haven't looked at anything about the game, apart from here, as most of it's nonsense and doesnt fit with my blue tinted view of the world...
Yeah there's a pretty damning clip going around which shows Sexton do something anyway. Looks like a knee into a very sore place.

Honestly he completely lost the head the other night. Mad stuff.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

artaneboy wrote:The best-worst way is the current ruling.
Cant agree with you there. As ronk said above, "If you try and jump over someone and it goes wrong (as expected), they get sent off even if it’s an accident and they tried to evade you." That is just stupid if you ask me, and the entire game can swing on the stupidity of it.

The referee, and the assistant referee's and the TMO are all capable of assessing the circumstances of an incident. They do it in many other aspects of the game already, so why not allow them to do the same here to identify those incidents where its clearly accidental. Thats the thing I find so frustrating. It would be so simple to do. Red card, unless the referee believes it to be fair competiton for the ball.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Spot on post COYBIB - you have hit the nail on the head. Munster's problem is Leinster's success in the last decade (4 HEC's) and their failure to win a trophy since 2011 has driven the Red Brigade to total distraction - while it's hard to explain, the hatred for Leinster within the Munster core is beyond description, they simply can't fathom dropping back to being a bit part province while they rebuild an academy structure and start bringing through local players. Watching continued Leinster success in the meantime makes it impossible. The fear of being in the wilderness and not being in the HEC is too hard to contemplate and they as illustrated go to any lengths to beg, borrow, steal and manipulate a serviceable team and sure if they do some damage to Leinster (Carbery etc) in the meantime well and good, it's kinda of: well if we can't win the HEC sure we may as well f**k it up for Leinster too. The Carbery cr@p has been much talked about but Munster already had 4 outhalves on their books but nicking Carbery did two things - i) Yes he's a good player so let's have him ii) It damages Leinster - double bubble !!

I love your phrase ' the rivalry is now against disgruntled former employees and backpackers' - that about sums it up. We had a fantastic provincial rivalry through the 2000's and god while it stung at the time as Munster dominated that decade, Leinster used it to motivate and grow as a province and we learnt from the masters and superceded them, becoming better than the teacher and the negativity was turned into a motivating factor. When we won the HEC in 2009 I clearly remember a feeling of 'our time may be coming' and the decade that followed is beyond wildest dreams, it may be debatable but the Munster / Leinster rivalry was I feel a significant driving force in this change, they drove us on. What's depressing is that Munster rather than rising to the challenge have become so bitter that they would rather crash the entire ship taking us all down than let another decade pass as the last one has.

This is where the IRFU need to step but I see little evidence of it and not familiar enough with the internal politics (or do I care about this shi**e) to understand the pressures from within the organisation to prop up Munster at any cost even if half the team is Saffers and the rest pinched from round the rest of the country and further afield.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Let it go lads. It's one game and it didn't do us much harm in terms of the competition. Their supporters can have their couple of days of crowing and bragging, after all they won ... a mid-season league game. At home.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

hugonaut wrote:Let it go lads. It's one game and it didn't do us much harm in terms of the competition. Their supporters can have their couple of days of crowing and bragging, after all they won ... a mid-season league game. At home.
Agree but this isn't just about one Munster Victory - bloody hell watched so many of those over the years and haven't thrown the baby out every time !! This has been building and will continue to build (don't be surprised if we don't lose another player or two to Munster in the near future) for sometime and it's coming from the IRFU failing to see the potential damage down the line of allowing the current course Munster are on. Look it's unhealthy to a degree what has happened with Leinster (for Irish rugby) - we have become a victim of our own success in a sense and purely from an Irish perspective a stronger Ulster and Munster and weaker Leinster would be better. What's needed is a strong hand from the IRFU forcing Munster to focus on local players and at least see where it takes them over 3-4 years - for example play Johnson at outhalf in big games and see what's he's made of - if you don't do this we won't know has he got the potential. Bring in Carbery and Ireland learns nothing.

Of course this game means nothing in the context of our season, it may actually be a good thing as Leocaster are going to have a week of tape to go through and I'd strongly suspect we'll have a perfect disciplinary record for the rest of this year...........I just think the sham of a match that took place in Thomond is something that is directly linked to Munster's current path. It's not a good place to be and reminds me of a U2 line - 'Don't let the B@stards grind you down' !!
Last edited by Blueberry on December 31st, 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

This thread is a pure howl, not even Sexton took it this badly. :D
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote:
Dexter wrote: I haven't looked at anything about the game, apart from here, as most of it's nonsense and doesnt fit with my blue tinted view of the world...
Yeah there's a pretty damning clip going around which shows Sexton do something anyway. Looks like a knee into a very sore place.

I googled it (more fool me).. but all I found was some lad who filmed his TV on his phone while replaying a couple of seconds, and tweeted it. Can't see anything "damning" at all...the touch judge is about a foot away looking straight at them.
Dont Panic!
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Glad to be of entertainment value, 'Tomthefan' at least you can drop by hear for a giggle in between practicing your Afrikaans :D :D
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dexter wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

I googled it (more fool me).. but all I found was some lad who filmed his TV on his phone while replaying a couple of seconds, and tweeted it. Can't see anything "damning" at all...the touch judge is about a foot away looking straight at them.
https://twitter.com/threeredkings/statu ... 3517649920

It's fairly clear Sexton does something. Looks like he drops the knee into Carbery.
Would need another angle to confirm but it does not look good.