Ospreys @ Home Nov. 23rd. Friday 19:35

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Ospreys @ Home Nov. 23rd. Friday 19:35

Post by artaneboy »

Fred Funk wrote:Was a bit worried about our outhalf cover, with Munster stockpiling 5 outhalves. But over the last frw matches both Reid and Frawley have proved themselves good number 3s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Well both Frawley and Reid are very adaptable- but switching to loose head prop! That’s a stretch... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I hate being negative after such a brilliant and convincing win...but I'm going to be :lol:

The Ospreys were rubbish. They offered a token resistance really, won a lucky turnover early on and kept the pressure up until we eventually won it back and then only had a couple of other decent spells in the game. They would make one big hit in the middle of the field and then sit back as if that was job done, once we put on a bit of footwork or had someone latching on to the ball carrier they didn't want to know. Two things stood out that really illustrated how brutal they were. One was Noel going backwards with the ball but still being able to bash his way forward and gain some yards. I know he's improved his physicality over the last few years but come on. The second was the effort of the Ospreys' defender who bit in on the Byrne (can't actually remember who passed and who scored) who gave the scoring pass, he may as well have stayed in Wales with that kind of effort.

Absolutely agree with all the comments about how good Frawley was with the ball, but his defence was awful. He definitely missed three tackles during their pressure earlier on and there may have been one more, and his positioning wasn't good either. He was all over the shop for the try they got too. Penny was similar, got caught a couple of times (when he was beside Frawley actually) but other than that he was outstanding, and in fairness I think he was wrecked after about an hour so don't blame him too much for his last mistake. Both had brilliant performances overall though. Frawley really does have great variety to his play, really skillful player and reads things brilliantly. Penny's instincts are top class, he just has that ability to know where a ball is going to end up that you just can't teach and his power and aggression means he can take advantage of it. I felt sorry for Will Connors during the game, Penny just kicked on brilliantly from his A team performances.

I'm a big fan of Nick and when he announced that he was off and people were saying he wasn't great I was thinking that he doesn't have any standout feature but that he's very good at everything. Last night he was poor in almost everything. His passing was all over the place, Frawley did really well to cope with some balls over his head, and his kicking was awful. He did some good things too and it was only one game, but it was a bad (half) day at the office. HOS looked the same as he usually does to me, brilliant when he just whips the ball away from the base, really hesistant when he has to make any kind of decision.

Fardy was head and shoulders above everyone else for me. His tackling and pressure at the breakdown when we were under pressure early on were immense and then once we got possession and territory he was able to switch to being a brilliant carrier and showing great hands, his work for COB's try really summed up everything good about Fardy in attack.

To me it looks like Molony might have finally grown into himself. There have been times when he looked to struggle with the extra weight put on and times where he looked underpowered, think he might have the balance right now and he's looking really solid and impressive. I thought he looked very assured in the A games this season and he took that into the game last night, it would be a huge boost for us if he's finally going to offer consistency.

Doris was very solid but I'm slightly disappointed that he's not making more of an impact. I've no doubt it'll come but from seeing him over the last couple of seasons I did think he'd explode onto the scene straight away. Deegan looked really sharp when he came on.

COB looked really good, pretty confident that he'll come very good for us and he offers us something different. Good to see Adam looking solid and confident too, thought he did well. I've never really rated Keenan and was worried when he got turned over early on but he was excellent after that. To outrun Giles as he was controlling the ball at his feet was very impressive!

Don't get me wrong, it was a really good performance and there's a lot to be happy about, but just didn't think it was as perfect as others did.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Or in summary, you can only play what's in front of you and sometimes you don't need to go beyond 3rd gear to do it.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I hate being negative after such a brilliant and convincing win...but I'm going to be :lol:

The Ospreys were rubbish. They offered a token resistance really, won a lucky turnover early on and kept the pressure up until we eventually won it back and then only had a couple of other decent spells in the game. They would make one big hit in the middle of the field and then sit back as if that was job done, once we put on a bit of footwork or had someone latching on to the ball carrier they didn't want to know. Two things stood out that really illustrated how brutal they were. One was Noel going backwards with the ball but still being able to bash his way forward and gain some yards. I know he's improved his physicality over the last few years but come on. The second was the effort of the Ospreys' defender who bit in on the Byrne (can't actually remember who passed and who scored) who gave the scoring pass, he may as well have stayed in Wales with that kind of effort.

Absolutely agree with all the comments about how good Frawley was with the ball, but his defence was awful. He definitely missed three tackles during their pressure earlier on and there may have been one more, and his positioning wasn't good either. He was all over the shop for the try they got too. Penny was similar, got caught a couple of times (when he was beside Frawley actually) but other than that he was outstanding, and in fairness I think he was wrecked after about an hour so don't blame him too much for his last mistake. Both had brilliant performances overall though. Frawley really does have great variety to his play, really skillful player and reads things brilliantly. Penny's instincts are top class, he just has that ability to know where a ball is going to end up that you just can't teach and his power and aggression means he can take advantage of it. I felt sorry for Will Connors during the game, Penny just kicked on brilliantly from his A team performances.

I'm a big fan of Nick and when he announced that he was off and people were saying he wasn't great I was thinking that he doesn't have any standout feature but that he's very good at everything. Last night he was poor in almost everything. His passing was all over the place, Frawley did really well to cope with some balls over his head, and his kicking was awful. He did some good things too and it was only one game, but it was a bad (half) day at the office. HOS looked the same as he usually does to me, brilliant when he just whips the ball away from the base, really hesistant when he has to make any kind of decision.

Fardy was head and shoulders above everyone else for me. His tackling and pressure at the breakdown when we were under pressure early on were immense and then once we got possession and territory he was able to switch to being a brilliant carrier and showing great hands, his work for COB's try really summed up everything good about Fardy in attack.

To me it looks like Molony might have finally grown into himself. There have been times when he looked to struggle with the extra weight put on and times where he looked underpowered, think he might have the balance right now and he's looking really solid and impressive. I thought he looked very assured in the A games this season and he took that into the game last night, it would be a huge boost for us if he's finally going to offer consistency.

Doris was very solid but I'm slightly disappointed that he's not making more of an impact. I've no doubt it'll come but from seeing him over the last couple of seasons I did think he'd explode onto the scene straight away. Deegan looked really sharp when he came on.

COB looked really good, pretty confident that he'll come very good for us and he offers us something different. Good to see Adam looking solid and confident too, thought he did well. I've never really rated Keenan and was worried when he got turned over early on but he was excellent after that. To outrun Giles as he was controlling the ball at his feet was very impressive!

Don't get me wrong, it was a really good performance and there's a lot to be happy about, but just didn't think it was as perfect as others did.
I’ve never seen a perfect performance by any team. There are always things that could be improved; including last week against NZ. If that’s your standard- then you’re going to be perennially disappointed.

But I think it was a “great performance” with the to be expected flaws- even against weak opposition. With a team full of neophytes, a few supposed journeymen and a couple of class NIQs, they all played very well and some played excellently. But more importantly they both won well- and displayed enough evidence to show that all of the above- newbies, 2nd/ 3rd stringers- and even the “stars” are in form, focused and promising much more.

That’ll do me!

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I'm with you @artaneboy.
+1
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Back up the truck...I'm not expecting perfection, I'm just saying that people are going overboard on the praise. Frawley wasn't as perfect as was made out, and everything has to be taken in the context of the Ospreys being rubbish, that's all.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Back up the truck...I'm not expecting perfection, I'm just saying that people are going overboard on the praise. Frawley wasn't as perfect as was made out, and everything has to be taken in the context of the Ospreys being rubbish, that's all.
By whom?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I really don't need to pick out individual names, you can read back if you want and he got MOTM.

He was excellent in attack and I don't remember questioning his defence before so I'm not worried going forward.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I really don't need to pick out individual names, you can read back if you want and he got MOTM.

He was excellent in attack and I don't remember questioning his defence before so I'm not worried going forward.
Hmm...I don't think anyone said he (or the team) was perfect LRIP.

In fact I think most people used the heavy caveat about the Ospreys being shite.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Are you seriously arguing with me because nobody actually used the word "perfect" when I didn't actually say that they did? Really? He got an awful lot of (deserved) praise but nobody mentioned the flaws, that's all, and I'm not interested in continuing this because it's not that big a deal.

And as for people using the caveat about the Ospreys, RTB said they weren't a poor opponent and praised elements of their game...I took issue with that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Are you seriously arguing with me because nobody actually used the word "perfect" when I didn't actually say that they did? Really? He got an awful lot of (deserved) praise but nobody mentioned the flaws, that's all, and I'm not interested in continuing this because it's not that big a deal.

And as for people using the caveat about the Ospreys, RTB said they weren't a poor opponent and praised elements of their game...I took issue with that.
No I'm just asking you to back up your post. You used the word 'perfect' twice, nobody else did, I guess you didn't mean it in that way. Cool, let's move on.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

My post is backed up by the effusive praise and lack of criticism. I don't need to go through all the posts to illustrate that, you can do it yourself.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I had a horrific vision watching the Ospreys game last night;

Imagine watching James Lowe scoring tries for Joe Schmidt’s New Zealand team against us. i actually think Id cry.

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My post is backed up by the effusive praise and lack of criticism. I don't need to go through all the posts to illustrate that, you can do it yourself.
I appreciate the critique LRIP. Great detail. Brought my mam to the match (her first match) so just getting to watch properly now.
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Twist wrote:I had a horrific vision watching the Ospreys game last night;

Imagine watching James Lowe scoring tries for Joe Schmidt’s New Zealand team against us. i actually think Id cry.

Said something similar last week, but right now we have a savage talent in that wing.
Daniel Sullivan
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

The impact the Byrne twins in tandem have coming off the bench is something that could potentially be used more than it has been to date. Their running lines and understanding of how to draw and pass are at a high level, which shouldn't be taken for granted when we're seeing Dave Kilcoyne butchering overlaps time after time like he did again today
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

leinsterforever wrote:The impact the Byrne twins in tandem have coming off the bench is something that could potentially be used more than it has been to date. Their running lines and understanding of how to draw and pass are at a high level, which shouldn't be taken for granted when we're seeing Dave Kilcoyne butchering overlaps time after time like he did again today
Honest question but what's the S&C read on killer, you compare him to other irish loose head props he looks well a bit Matt Stevens
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Ospreys @ Home Nov. 23rd. Friday 19:35

Post by artaneboy »

TerenureJim wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:The impact the Byrne twins in tandem have coming off the bench is something that could potentially be used more than it has been to date. Their running lines and understanding of how to draw and pass are at a high level, which shouldn't be taken for granted when we're seeing Dave Kilcoyne butchering overlaps time after time like he did again today
Honest question but what's the S&C read on killer, you compare him to other irish loose head props he looks well a bit Matt Stevens
Kilcoyne’s ability around the field never worries me. He appears as fit as any, and fitter than most prop forwards. Good hands- usually, too. Looked good last night again in that regard.

It’s his ability in the tight that I worry about. Although I thought he was fine against the US.

Sorry- I meant to add, I do accept his body shape looks a little bit- eh...”retro”. But some guys have those types of physiology.

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

As did Cian Healy.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

https://tg4.ie/en/player/home/?pid=5970 ... eo&dlft=34

Full match for the gaeilgeoir among us.