Leinster - Joe Schmidt's legacy.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Leinster - Joe Schmidt's legacy.

Post by Oldschool »

Joe as we all know is pondering his future.
Joe as reported on RTE.
"One, if I'm staying I want the clarity going forward and if I'm not staying I want the clarity for the IRFU because I think half the job is what gets done under your watch, the other half of the job is how you leave it so that somebody else can pick it up.
How would people judge legacy to Leinster when he took up the Ireland job.
Had he any input into the success of the Academy since his arrival and departure.
Have Leinster players benefited from Joe's influence during his international tenure.
A lot of questions, just wondering what punters think?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Leinster - Joe Schmidt's legacy.

Post by Peg Leg »

Trophies
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Munster has certainly benefited from Joe Schmidt's influence during his international tenure.
My jaundiced view is that our success last season was all the more impressive against the backdrop of meddling from the international set up.
Have Leinster players benefited? Some certainly have.

Joe: Mirror, how will Leinster fans remember me?
Mirror: That's still in your hands: Cardiff 2011 or Carbery 2018.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I hadn’t been following that closely.

Above quote is public contract negotiation.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

ronk wrote:I hadn’t been following that closely.

Above quote is public contract negotiation.
I don't think there is any contract negotiation required by Joe.

All he needs to do is make demands and they'll be met
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
COYBIB
Enlightened

Post by COYBIB »

curates_egg wrote:
I don't know how much Joe could be blamed or take full responsibility for that. There is a deep seeded fear of Leinster in the IRFU and definitely a concentrated effort to prevent the province from getting too big. Remember, 90% of the national team fan base is the Leinster fan base (in terms of attendees at money spinning home games) and when self justification comes into it, it's important to keep Leinster down as much as possible, which is why there's so much meddling.

The province has long since outgrown the IRFU model and is the province most hindered by it. If Leinster opened up to private investment there'd be a line all the way down Simmonscourt Road to hand over the cheque book at the RDS. The thing that always confused me about the IRFU is that their justification is their need to fund the national game, but offloading the burden of having to fund the provinces would exponentially increase the funds available to fund grass roots rugby in the provinces which would arguably be a better use of resources. But when it comes to Leinster, self preservation from the IRFU is key.
jezzer wrote:He will never be the second coming of BOD, because the only thing their game shares is probably the appetite for work around the pitch. He'll hopefully be the first coming of Ringrose.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

COYBIB wrote: I don't know how much Joe could be blamed or take full responsibility for that. There is a deep seeded fear of Leinster in the IRFU and definitely a concentrated effort to prevent the province from getting too big. Remember, 90% of the national team fan base is the Leinster fan base (in terms of attendees at money spinning home games) and when self justification comes into it, it's important to keep Leinster down as much as possible, which is why there's so much meddling.

The province has long since outgrown the IRFU model and is the province most hindered by it. If Leinster opened up to private investment there'd be a line all the way down Simmonscourt Road to hand over the cheque book at the RDS. The thing that always confused me about the IRFU is that their justification is their need to fund the national game, but offloading the burden of having to fund the provinces would exponentially increase the funds available to fund grass roots rugby in the provinces which would arguably be a better use of resources. But when it comes to Leinster, self preservation from the IRFU is key.
You come out with Alex Jones level some stuff at times! :lol:
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

Loved Joe when he was in charge of Leinster but the Carbery affair left a bad taste.

Carbery was saying in interviews as late as February that he saw no need for him to leave Leinster to develop as a 10.

Come April, Joe sticks his nose in and the rest is history.

The day the Carbery move was confirmed Joe was in a press conference ahead of the Australia tour and feigned ignorance about the move. That is just not credible.

If Carbery was out of contract then fair enough but he wasn't. Just in case anybody brings up Henshaw..

Don't blame Munster either. They have to look after themselves. They saw an opportunity and grabbed it.

I still like Joe but not the way I used to.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

I respect Joe, but I have no love for Joe.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

COYBIB wrote:
The thing that always confused me about the IRFU is that their justification is their need to fund the national game, but offloading the burden of having to fund the provinces would exponentially increase the funds available to fund grass roots rugby in the provinces which would arguably be a better use of resources.
Follow the English model?

No player welfare, provinces (clubs) being run as financial basket cases?

Where do we sign up!
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

COYBIB wrote:
curates_egg wrote:
I don't know how much Joe could be blamed or take full responsibility for that. There is a deep seeded fear of Leinster in the IRFU and definitely a concentrated effort to prevent the province from getting too big. Remember, 90% of the national team fan base is the Leinster fan base (in terms of attendees at money spinning home games) and when self justification comes into it, it's important to keep Leinster down as much as possible, which is why there's so much meddling.

Some of us believe in the IRFU model of “Ireland first”. It’s served us well as both a province and a country. I’ve no ambition or desire to weaken Ireland to promote Leinster. The odd “Carbery-type” if incident aside, the relationship is and should continue to be mutually supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

artaneboy wrote:
COYBIB wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Some of us believe in the IRFU model of “Ireland first”. It’s served us well as both a province and a country. I’ve no ambition or desire to weaken Ireland to promote Leinster. The odd “Carbery-type” if incident aside, the relationship is and should continue to be mutually supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think most Leinster fans would agree with the Ireland First mantra but the problem has been and continues to be that that's not the way Munster Inc. sees it.
It took the appointment of a non Munster coach (Joe) for Ireland to begin to achieve its' potential.
The Golden Era was blown by coaches who had a narrow agenda regarding selection etc.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

mildlyinterested wrote:I respect Joe, but I have no love for Joe.

How a Leinster and Ireland fan could have 'no love' for a guy who has delivered the most successful period and some of the best rugby in our respective histories is really just beyond my comprehension.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

wixfjord wrote:

How a Leinster and Ireland fan could have 'no love' for a guy who has delivered the most successful period and some of the best rugby in our respective histories is really just beyond my comprehension.
+1

Sentimentality is not a weakness.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

wixfjord wrote:

What do you mean?

2 Heineken cup, a Challenge cup, a Pro12 title, 3 6Nations titles (including one grand slam), a first win vs. NZ, a southern hemisphere test series win on one hand; probable encouragement of a Leinster reserve outhalf to Munster on the other.

The two simply cancel out
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ChrisUppy wrote:
wixfjord wrote:

What do you mean?

2 Heineken cup, a Challenge cup, a Pro12 title, 3 6Nations titles (including one grand slam), a first win vs. NZ, a southern hemisphere test series win on one hand; probable encouragement of a Leinster reserve outhalf to Munster on the other.

The two simply cancel out
:lol: :lol: :lol:
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Oldschool wrote: I think most Leinster fans would agree with the Ireland First mantra
You would think so wouldn't you?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The question is about Joe Schmidts Leinster legacy. As Leinster coach, he was astonishing. As Irish coach, he is the Irish coach, he couldn't really care less about Leinster as long as we aren't breaking his players. If he thought that the Irish team would be best served by moving the entire Leinster senior squad to Connacht he wouldn't think twice about it. Thats the job. It was ever thus, it is thus, it will ever be thus.

The best any provincial supporter can hope for from the national coach is that he doesn't f%~k us up too much and there'll be enough success to compensate. Hes doing fine so far.
I have Bumbleflex
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote:The question is about Joe Schmidts Leinster legacy. As Leinster coach, he was astonishing. As Irish coach, he is the Irish coach, he couldn't really care less about Leinster as long as we aren't breaking his players. If he thought that the Irish team would be best served by moving the entire Leinster senior squad to Connacht he wouldn't think twice about it. Thats the job. It was ever thus, it is thus, it will ever be thus.

The best any provincial supporter can hope for from the national coach is that he doesn't f%~k us up too much and there'll be enough success to compensate. Hes doing fine so far.
This is very true.
We all complained for years about blinkered Cork Con national coaches holding back the national side due to provincial bias. Schmidt can't credibly be accused of that, and he is the best Irish coach there has ever been, as well as the best Leinster coach there has ever been (for now).

I do, however, think he (and the powers that be) are now interfering too much in the provinces (particularly Leinster).
As such, while I don't think either his legacy as Leinster coach or his legacy with Ireland can be judged in any way but as an overwhelming success, his legacy with Leinster as Ireland coach should be open to criticism.

I think the Carbery move was stupid on all levels, except for Munster. Assuming Schmidt continues to dig in his heels and choose Carbery as his second choice ten, and if Carbery plays in that position and plays an important role in getting Ireland past a quarter final, I guess even the begrudgers like me will have to give up. I do however think that, if that is the role that Carbery is destined to play, he could have delivered on it just as well with Leinster. I also think that Plumber share some of the blame for him being strong-armed away to Munster.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I love you Joe
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan