Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by johng »

mildlyinterested wrote:
That what 6 weeks ago? You'd think they might want to give leinster supporters some good news, re:contract announcements.
Eggs act ery.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I have it in my head that both Toner and Kearney are at the end of their central contracts with no word on an extension.
Thus, are now due to move on to Leinster contracts or move on.
Is that correct, or is it just Kearney?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:I have it in my head that both Toner and Kearney are at the end of their central contracts with no word on an extension.
Yes both are ending central contracts. Kearney likely retiring/moving on, DT hopefully moving to a Leinster contract.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

wixfjord wrote:
munster#1 wrote:I have it in my head that both Toner and Kearney are at the end of their central contracts with no word on an extension.
Yes both are ending central contracts. Kearney likely retiring/moving on, DT hopefully moving to a Leinster contract.
Ok, thought I was going mad, as I didn’t see any talk of Toner.

Any reason why Kearney is rumoured to be moving on?
Has Toner indicated that he is staying, or wants to stay?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

munster#1 wrote:
wixfjord wrote:
Ok, thought I was going mad, as I didn’t see any talk of Toner.

Any reason why Kearney is rumoured to be moving on?
Has Toner indicated that he is staying, or wants to stay?
Kearney has been heavily rumoured to be finishing up.

Toner has indicated in press he wants to play on.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Can LR afford either of them from their own resources with no IRFU money?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Given their experience it would be a shame to lose either of them, but would be costly to hold on to both.
Probably looking at €750k a year for both, which is a big impact.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

munster#1 wrote:Given their experience it would be a shame to lose either of them, but would be costly to hold on to both.
not given their age, RK was gone anyway and Toner taking a big paycut to stay at leinster.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Given their experience it would be a shame to lose either of them, but would be costly to hold on to both.
not given their age, RK was gone anyway and Toner taking a big paycut to stay at leinster.
Not the biggest Kearney fan, but I watched the second lions test today from the last South African tour, and he was class.
Would be a shame to see him retire just because he wasn’t offered a contract.

Toner at 33 is not old, and probably has 3-4 years left in him, so you’d imagine he’d still be able to command €350K a year on a 3 year contact on Ireland, and a bit more in England or France.
meathman3
Bookworm

Post by meathman3 »

mildlyinterested wrote:
We need to hold on to Kearney - he is a born winner and is vital whenever we play a kicking side. Larmour for all his attributes, gets shown up badly in defence and Kearney is by far the best man to show him if we are going to persist with Jordan at FB who in my book looks totally stifled there. Interesting that he didn't score a try all season.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Munster have announced their academy for next season and leinster haven't even confirmed their senior squad ffs.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

munster#1 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Not the biggest Kearney fan, but I watched the second lions test today from the last South African tour, and he was class.
Would be a shame to see him retire just because he wasn’t offered a contract.

Toner at 33 is not old, and probably has 3-4 years left in him, so you’d imagine he’d still be able to command €350K a year on a 3 year contact on Ireland, and a bit more in England or France.
Toner is going to 34 at the end of the month, has no interest playing elsewhere or moving. He will be taking a much lower deal than 350k a year to play for Leinster. :lol:

Could be a 2 year deal or a rolling yearly contract IMO.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

meathman3 wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
We need to hold on to Kearney - he is a born winner and is vital whenever we play a kicking side. Larmour for all his attributes, gets shown up badly in defence and Kearney is by far the best man to show him if we are going to persist with Jordan at FB who in my book looks totally stifled there. Interesting that he didn't score a try all season.
Coaches had decided it with time to move on from him after this, not a surprise. Will see what happens now with covid situation
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

When we have a fixture list for the next 4/5 months, we'll have decisions on contract values and then some players will have to call or play. Lots of elements are mobile and uncertain at present and IMO it's reasonably that no player be required to end their career in Ireland without knowing what the next 6 months holds.
alanair
Mullet

Post by alanair »

@Munster #1 ... this is Leinster NOT Munster ...whereas Munster will of course be sanctioned to pay that kind of wad to some Saffers ... our guys won’t cost anywhere that much
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

alanair wrote:
@Munster #1 ... this is Leinster NOT Munster ...whereas Munster will of course be sanctioned to pay that kind of wad to some Saffers ... our guys won’t cost anywhere that much
I hadn’t realised that Kearney had decided to hang up his boots, so I was just thinking of his market value as a highly experienced international. You would imagine that he would still be able to command a fairly good salary in England or France.

Also, I hadn’t realised that Toner had shown his cards and said that he did not want to move. So all bargaining power is gone.

Like Munster of old, Leinster are very fortunate in that a massive percentage of their wage bill is covered by the IRFU through central contracts.
I wonder if this will be a trend as players come to the end of their central contracts.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Is Rob Kearney the most decorated player in European rugby history?
I'm counting...
5 Pro14s
4 Heinos
1 Challenge Cup
4 Six Nations
Therefore, 14 winners medals in total
Pretty sure he played a part in all of those victories, could be wrong though.

Maybe some ex Leicester or Toulouse players could beat 14 but probably no one else.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I have Toner and Martin Johnson on 13 and Dallaglio on 12.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I hope we give Dev at least a two year contract. He's a very good international quality player, with a great injury profile. Surely has a lot more to give for us.

I've watched back very few games in this period but I rewatched the November 2018 All Blacks game the other day. The decision not to include Toner in the world cup squad was a monumental error of judgement. He was such an important part of Ireland's good days (and also Leinster's). Very good evidence of the muddled thinking that scuppered yet another world cup run.
meathman3
Bookworm

Post by meathman3 »

Like Toner, Kearney has stated he wants to play for at least another year. He has always been a one club man turning down lucrative offers from elsewhere all along. Leinster haven't repaid him for all his loyalty and let him down badly in last few years by not giving him gametime prior to 6N. But Kearney is the kind of player who should always be around the squad. He is vital in tough matches, is still the best in the world under the high ball and has so much to pass on to others - in terms of true FB play, positioning and leadership.
Not to mention that he deserves far better as our most successful ever player than a farewell behind closed doors..