Leinster Squad 19-20

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster Squad 19-20

Post by mildlyinterested »

blockhead wrote:Ryan Baird saying that he put of 4kgs of muscle in the last 9 weeks.
Said he has put on 3 to 4 kg over the past 9 weeks, and that he was sure that it wasn't all muscle.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

mildlyinterested wrote:
blockhead wrote:Ryan Baird saying that he put of 4kgs of muscle in the last 9 weeks.
Said he has put on 3 to 4 kg over the past 9 weeks, and that he was sure that it wasn't all muscle.
4Kg yeah that's what I said. How could he know if its "all muscle"? He focusing on weigth gain and ball skills during the lockdown.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Pilotman123 wrote:
Source?
Blockhead and Ryan go way back.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

mildlyinterested wrote:Wonder will anyone else follow him into retirement?
I'd say that there will be more players [not just in Leinster] looking not to retire, as the wider economy they will be entering into will be choppy and unconventional.

There will be a lot of players looking for one more year – some of them might be in the position where they need to build savings to cushion their transition into a job that doesn't pay as much as they have been earning. Outside rugby, many companies will be making changes to how they operate and looking to consolidate experienced staff who are proven commodities rather than bring in new members of staff.

On the other hand, somebody like Michael Bent [34] might think it is a good time to call notice on his career and move back to New Zealand, which looks like a very attractive proposition at the moment. Cost of living in general is lower in NZ, cost of accommodation anywhere in NZ is considerably lower than Dublin, they have had limited exposure to Covid-19 [both because of location and good government] and obviously, more than anything else, that's where he's from.

Bentos has been a real servant for us over eight seasons, and has done really well for himself at Leinster. It has been a mutually beneficial relationship. He's won four leagues [2012-13, 2013-14, 2017-18 and 2018-19] and the European Cup. As a tighthead [and ambipropsterous at that], he has probably earned pretty well.

But we have got a 24 year old [Abdaladze], a 21 year old [Aungier] and a 20 year old [Clarkson] in the playing pool, and we could probably contract all three of them for what we are paying Bentos now. The rugby player market is going to be depressed, and none of these guys have enough tape to their name to go out and start a bidding war.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

While I agree, can Bent even fly back to NZ in the short to medium term?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Would be an awful shame if Bent retired, not least because this fantastic insta account would have to be closed - https://www.instagram.com/michaelbentspipes/

I think Mr J. Lowe might have something to do with it :lol:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

The 42 are reporting that Roman Salanoa is off to (surprise, surprise) Munster next season.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Being reported that the IRFU “strongly encouraged” the move. It’s a f%~king joke. He was doing well and likely to get more game time this year
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Ah for goodness' sake. He seemed to have gotten ahead of Abdaladze and had shown some serious power in his limited gametime on the pitch. We took him in in his late teens from America (while still a baby in rugby terms), sub-academy, academy...and then robbed by Munster. They just can't produce their own players at anywhere near the required rate or quality.

Athletically Salanoa has huge potential, probably more than any other prop in Ireland. If he can nail down the scrummaging and the technical and technical stuff, he could well grow to become world class.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

bluemagic wrote:Being reported that the IRFU “strongly encouraged” the move. It’s a f%~king joke. He was doing well and likely to get more game time this year
It's a bit much alright. I'm sure the annual asset stripping of Leinster is 'for the good of Irish rugby'.

How about we appoint a proper manager to the national team in order to give a coach with literally half a season as a head coach to his name – at any level – an experienced confidant, advisor, sounding board and ally, when the big takeaway from the recent World Cup was that the head coach took too much on himself?

Because that might actually work out 'for the good of Irish rugby'.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Munster and the IRFU are shameless, even during the middle of Coronagate and us all being stuck in our houses they still manage to pull a fast one and rob more of our players.....poor fella off to turnipville whenever he is allowed to leave his house.

Was thinking, perhaps it would be easier, if at the start of the year Munster just came along to preseason training and got to take any 5 players they wanted. Sort of a tax on Leinster as we all know that Munster are the real province and really Leinster actually only got this good because Munster showed us 'how to win the European Cup' and 5 players a year is a kinda tax for this service they bestowed on us......

One year, at some point in the future and when they have robbed enough of our players and flown in a boatload more saffers they will win another European Cup but really, seriously will anyone give a s**t ??

Exactly how are Munster meant to be incentivised to grow home grown talent if at every opportunity they plug holes by stealing and importing ? Rewarding failure yet again. It is pretty pointless. IRFU need a lesson in how to reward success and not punish it. Mindless nonsense.
Last edited by Blueberry on May 14th, 2020, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

She polished all upon the wall
And ran her hands right through her hair
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:She polished all upon the wall
Boutique reference DC!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:She polished all upon the wall
Boutique reference DC!
I've only got two lines left before I have to start over.
I have Bumbleflex
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

Can't believe I used to cheer Munster on in Europe (when not playing us of course). They are truly shameless, the soul is gone from that club.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

neiliog93 wrote:Ah for goodness' sake. He seemed to have gotten ahead of Abdaladze and had shown some serious power in his limited gametime on the pitch. We took him in in his late teens from America (while still a baby in rugby terms), sub-academy, academy...and then robbed by Munster. They just can't produce their own players at anywhere near the required rate or quality.

Athletically Salanoa has huge potential, probably more than any other prop in Ireland. If he can nail down the scrummaging and the technical and technical stuff, he could well grow to become world class.
How had he gotten ahead of Vakh? Who has been injured all season.

He was under pressure to be 4th choice TH Prop with Vakh returning from injury, sharing time with Aungier this season and Clarkson finished with irish 20's. Much easier road at Munster.

Great job by the coaches and salanoa himself in developing in his 3 years here, plenty more developing to do for him to be a top level player, good luck to him down south bar against us, rather we lost his potential than Tom Clarkson proven quality, even if Clarkson is smaller and less fashionable.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

With Salanoa gone:

TH Prop
Tadhg Furlong(27/New Ross RFC/Clontarf)
Andrew Porter(24/St. Andrews/UCD)
Michael Bent(34/New Zealand)
Vakh Albadaze(24/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf)
--
Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock/DUFC)
Last edited by mildlyinterested on May 14th, 2020, 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Hi Guys,

Long time no chat.
Don’t worry, my visit is just to say a quick hello.

I seen the article about Munster’s latest signing, and said I’d check out how it was received over here.
I am not shocked by your responses, but more a bit concerned.

I think some of you have lost sight of the fact that the IRFU own 4 franchises, Leinster and Munster being 2 of the 4.
These franchises were set up with one goal in mind, to improve the international team.
This is something that has been a massive success, with Ireland winning a number of triple crowns, 6 nations and grand slams since the inception of the concept of these franchises.

The IRFU have taken the line that in order for these franchises to accomplish their goals, then they need the best players playing as often as possible, thus a wise decision was made to spread the talent across the 4 franchises as much as possible, and try to remove bottle necks which is limiting players progression.
This has seen many players move from one province to another, not all of the flow has been from Leinster to Munster as many on here seem to believe.
We have also seen players leave Munster to head to other provinces, although not in massive numbers, as Munster are unlikely to have the same surplus as the likes of Leinster for obvious reasons.

We have also seen Leinster players move from Leinster to Ulster and Connacht, but for some reason these transfers are acceptable?

On Munster developing players, they do develop good quality players, and this development has definitely improved lately, but they will never develop the same numbers as Leinster, as we do not have the population.
Saying that, in general, if you look at the match day 23 from this season for each of the 4 franchises, then you will see that Munster are generally in the top 2 when it comes to fielding home grown players, but that would not fit the narrative of the vocal minority of Leinster fans.

I hope all of your families and loved ones are safe and healthy during this troubling time.

Ciao for now.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

mildlyinterested wrote:With Salanoa gone:

TH Prop
Tadhg Furlong(27/New Ross RFC/Clontarf)
Andrew Porter(24/St. Andrews/UCD)
Michael Bent(34/New Zealand)
Vakh Albadaze(24/Coolmine RFC/Clontarf)
Jack Aungier(21/Suttonians RFC/Clontarf)
--
Tom Clarkson(20/Blackrock/DUFC)
Apparently you can zitch Aungier from that list - he's going to the land of arts council grants
I have Bumbleflex
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

LEINSTER ACADEMY TIGHTHEAD prop Jack Aungier is set to join Connacht ahead of next season.

https://www.the42.ie/jack-aungier-leins ... 7-May2020/