Toulouse vs Leinster

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Toulouse vs Leinster

Post by Keith »

I wouldn't be too hard on the boys we did some things really well and only for a really stupid intercept we would have won. Tomane looks so nervous, which I find bizarre as he's a multi cap Wallaby and he has plenty of experience playing in Europe. I'm still hoping he comes good.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ringrose made mistakes but I felt like he was the only one trying to get some linespeed out wide. Tomane just wasn't following what others were doing.

The intercept is far worse than I thought live. The Toulouse guy was going across the defensive line waiting to pick his moment, Luke had the ball in his hands and went across the pitch, should have been well aware of the defender.

Not sure why we kicked it away at the end, just one of many weird decisions from us.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Ringrose made mistakes but I felt like he was the only one trying to get some linespeed out wide. Tomane just wasn't following what others were doing.

The intercept is far worse than I thought live. The Toulouse guy was going across the defensive line waiting to pick his moment, Luke had the ball in his hands and went across the pitch, should have been well aware of the defender.

Not sure why we kicked it away at the end, just one of many weird decisions from us.
Yeah that was baffling. They had plenty of fatties to run the clock down like they did. Bizarre decision from Sexton, especially with the experience of Ireland doing it from that distance against France with even less time.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's not like we were particularly struggling to make ground throughout the game and had no choice either.

He did a lot of good things so don't mean to be too critical but James Ryan missed a lot of tackles, just really unusual for him. VDF might have plugged a lot of the holes that we left open.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:It's not like we were particularly struggling to make ground throughout the game and had no choice either.

He did a lot of good things so don't mean to be too critical but James Ryan missed a lot of tackles, just really unusual for him. VDF might have plugged a lot of the holes that we left open.
SOB also got bumped a few times. Losing VDF so early was a killer, he really has become a very important player.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Rhys mentioned his kick as being a mistake. I'd find it hard to criticise him for a kick in their 22 leading to an attack for them but it does sum up the way we played too much after going ahead. Pick and goes and holding on to the ball were a big part of what got us the lead and then we just abandoned that altogether.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

neiliog93 wrote:
curates_egg wrote:If we stopped gifting them possession and made tackles...
Disappointing. Attitude was wrong. Showed them no respect and just assumed we were entitled to the win. McGrath and Larmour won't like the review: too many mistakes.
I've been trying to give Tomane time but he was seven shades of chyte out there today. Not good enough for Leinster.
I disagree with this. He was physical in both defence and attack. Did better defensively than Larmour or even Ringrose.
Apart from the mistakes he made, he looked lost in defence. He may have been "physical" but I struggle to remember him doing much effective and his positioning seemed totally wrong at times.
I'm not totally writing him off (he has to be better), and I agree Larmour also made too many mistakes.

In general, we seemed to have gotten ahead of ourselves.
After finally getting ahead we reverted to playing stupid rugby. Hard to understand.

Anyway, I felt everyone was taking Toulouse away far too lightly before the game. To leave with a point is not ideal, particularly when we should have won, but it's not the end of the world.
bluemagic
Enlightened

Post by bluemagic »

Hugely disappointing. The only thing I’d say is the loss dampens expectations.... people were saying ridiculous things like no one could beat us. It forces the lads to refocus and reassess where they are.

Pool is wide open now too. Unlikely to get a home semi
**** LEINSTER Champions Of Europe 2009/2011/2012/2018 ****
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

To be fair to Tomane (and I've mentioned him two or three times myself), there were loads of mistakes in that game, wasn't his fault we lost. If Luke didn't throw that intercept we probably wouldn't be talking about him all that much.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

bluemagic wrote:Hugely disappointing. The only thing I’d say is the loss dampens expectations.... people were saying ridiculous things like no one could beat us. It forces the lads to refocus and reassess where they are.

Pool is wide open now too. Unlikely to get a home semi
I'd back us to win the next four...possibly even with maximum points, wouldn't rule out a home semi at all. Fairly rare that any team wins 6 out of 6.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

Poor James Ryan. His first loss as a Leinster player.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

joooooe wrote:Poor James Ryan. His first loss as a Leinster player.
It's not his first loss as a Leinster player but he seemed to miss a few tackles, so poor James Ryan won't be looking forward to the review either.

The scrum, lineout and maul were all decent. That is another positive.
Yes Toulouse were ridiculously offside at times, but McGrath and Sexton should have dealt with it better.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Yeah I'd echo a lot of whats been written already. We just seemed to lack a bit of control that has become our staple. We were a bit frenetic at times which led to knock on's, slipped tackles and poor decisions. Far from panic stations though. Not panicing at 14-0 and 21-13 down was impressive.

Long term this could be a good result for us.

Sent from my SM-G531F using Tapatalk
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

curates_egg wrote:
joooooe wrote:Poor James Ryan. His first loss as a Leinster player.
It's not his first loss as a Leinster player but he seemed to miss a few tackles, so poor James Ryan won't be looking forward to the review either.

The scrum, lineout and maul were all decent. That is another positive.
Yes Toulouse were ridiculously offside at times, but McGrath and Sexton should have dealt with it better.
As a Leinster first team player so!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

We badly missed Rob Kearney I thought. His calmness, his chasing of high balls, managing the back 3, covering kick through etc.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

CiaranIrl wrote:We badly missed Rob Kearney I thought. His calmness, his chasing of high balls, managing the back 3, covering kick through etc.
Yeah. People keep writing him off, based on what he doesn't do, whilst ignoring what he brings.
It was a tough situation for Larmour though: in a totally untried back three. McFadden or Dave play, and it would have been more solid.
I thought Lowe was pretty good defensively today (bar the now standard loose kick he seems to make each game); covered really well.
Last edited by curates_egg on October 21st, 2018, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Have to say I thought Toulouse were fantastic. Played better than I thought possible and while we werent at our absolute best I thought we were just an error or two awy from stealing it. Still an away point in France. That'll do fine thank you.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Logorrhea wrote:Have to say I thought Toulouse were fantastic. Played better than I thought possible and while we werent at our absolute best I thought we were just an error or two awy from stealing it. Still an away point in France. That'll do fine thank you.
Yup
I have Bumbleflex
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

What if we had Carbery to bring in for Jonathan to give us impetus and to close out the match.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Raydollard wrote:What if we had Carbery to bring in for Jonathan to give us impetus and to close out the match.
Or better yet, Ian Madigan
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan