A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

leinsterforever
Mullet

Re: Celtic Cup

Post by leinsterforever »

mildlyinterested wrote:
D4surfer wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Munster A: Stephen Fitzgerald; Liam Coombes, Shane Daly, Alex McHenry, Alex Wootton; Bill Johnston (C), Charlie O’Doherty(U19); Josh Wycherley(U20), Diarmuid Barron, Jeremy Loughman; Fineen Wycherley, Darren O’Shea; Sean O’Connor, Gavin Coombes, Dave O’Callaghan.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Cronan Gleeson, Keynan Knox, Paddy Kelly(U19), Dan Walsh, Evan Maher(U20), Tyler Bleyendaal, Sean French(U20).
Looks a bit callow. Interesting to see Bleyendaal on the bench. I'm definitely going along.
Yeah O'Doherty is still in school(I think) and wasn't been massively rated before this season, no Ireland u18 caps.

back 5 of pack is huge, Coombes isn't related to a 7.
Picking a guy like Coombes at openside. Classic Munster
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Great news for Tyler B, even with the positive noises recently I didn't really expect to see him playing again tbh.

Fair play to Tom Daly for making it back too, thought his cup campaign was over. Not too enthused about that 10/12 combo though. Frawley can obviously still come on but would have thought it was important to get him games, it'll be interesting to see how they all shift around when he does come on.

I'd imagine some of the lads on our bench are seriously pissed off but if the attitude is right then they could do serious damage. Seeing Deegan on the bench for this makes me worried that we'll lose him, during the summer I even had him as a potential bolter for the November squad.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Great news for Tyler B, even with the positive noises recently I didn't really expect to see him playing again tbh.

Fair play to Tom Daly for making it back too, thought his cup campaign was over. Not too enthused about that 10/12 combo though. Frawley can obviously still come on but would have thought it was important to get him games, it'll be interesting to see how they all shift around when he does come on.

I'd imagine some of the lads on our bench are seriously pissed off but if the attitude is right then they could do serious damage. Seeing Deegan on the bench for this makes me worried that we'll lose him, during the summer I even had him as a potential bolter for the November squad.
I wouldn’t read too heavily into the pecking orders based on this selection. On that basis you could say Brian Byrne and Hugh O’Sullivan have also been gazumped, but I don’t think they have. I imagine it is more a case of managing minutes with a view to heavier workloads to come for the benched players. Deegan has over 100 more minutes played than Doris. 187v81mins
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wasn't suggesting that that's the pecking order, just like I don't think ROL or Ferg weren't good enough for the A team. I was simply saying that it must be sh!t for Deegan to be sitting on the bench in Donnybrook when he probably feels good enough to be involved at the RDS, especially after missing out against Munster too. If I was him I think I'd be starting to think that a move would make sense.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wasn't suggesting that that's the pecking order, just like I don't think ROL or Ferg weren't good enough for the A team. I was simply saying that it must be sh!t for Deegan to be sitting on the bench in Donnybrook when he probably feels good enough to be involved at the RDS, especially after missing out against Munster too. If I was him I think I'd be starting to think that a move would make sense.
Yes, I get that. But he has been involved in 4 out of 6 league matches with 2 starts and they all knew what they were heading into and he also knew that he is, at best, the #6 ranked back-row in the squad unless he can overtake Conan. I reckon he will see good game time after the H-Cup.

I am very hopeful for him and excited at the prospect of him being a regular starter because of his exciting skill-set and rugby intelligence, but he is still pretty young and could do with a bit more filling out before his challenge matures. I think he is not really entitled to be frustrated at not playing in the marquee games this year...next season might be different. 4 out of 6 so far ain't bad.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He's not going to be happy with missing interpros and European games. He would be starting for Ulster and Connacht, and would potentially be benching for Munster...hence why a move could look attractive.

Comparing him to Adam Byrne. I said in another thread that Rob retiring and Ferg's age could suddenly see the path clear for him next season...I'm struggling to see that happening for Deegan. I had thought that he'd be nailed on at 8 for our first few games with Conan late coming back, that didn't happen and when will it? Don't get your point about him accepting his place in line...that's the whole reason I think he could consider moving.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I just think you are a year ahead of the game in saying what you are about Deegan’s level of impatience in the context of the squad depth and his physical development. Seanie is one injury away from retirement. Conan may stall…again.

It’s his second season in senior squad. Well see.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's lots of things that may or may not happen, but the one thing I'd be certain of is that he'll be pissed off at being on the bench in Donnybrook tomorrow. That's the reality that I see.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:There's lots of things that may or may not happen, but the one thing I'd be certain of is that he'll be pissed off at being on the bench in Donnybrook tomorrow. That's the reality that I see.
No dispute there but you can add half a dozen others to the ‘pissed off in Donnybrook’ list. Dooley, Hooker Byrne, Reid, Adam Byrne, Molony, DK. Some have stronger claims than others but all have been around longer than Max and want to be further along than they are.

Where we disagree is I don’t see him thinking of a move this season. He will grudgingly accept it if he gets 10-12 starts this season. Next year he will be harder to please but he has to deliver. I thought he was pretty muted in the blind side role for his two starts. He is much better suited to 8 because of his creativity, but it pays to have two positions mastered.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Based on scrum tactics from Munster last weekend, there must be some concern that Vakh and Aungier have enough experience to deal with such behaviour. Michael Bent might have been the better choice, but this is how you build depth.

The other welcome selection is Scott Penney who is worth the admission money alone. He is on a fast-track and by Season end might well be a like-for-like for JVdF.

Patrick Patterson is another who has got the nod for this big game. He's facing young O'Doherty who comes with a very competitive rep.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Have condfidence in Vakh, but must say Aungier had a disappointing 2018. Granted he is still only 19.
Leinsterlunatic
Bookworm

Post by Leinsterlunatic »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He's not going to be happy with missing interpros and European games. He would be starting for Ulster and Connacht, and would potentially be benching for Munster...hence why a move could look attractive.

Comparing him to Adam Byrne. I said in another thread that Rob retiring and Ferg's age could suddenly see the path clear for him next season...I'm struggling to see that happening for Deegan. I had thought that he'd be nailed on at 8 for our first few games with Conan late coming back, that didn't happen and when will it? Don't get your point about him accepting his place in line...that's the whole reason I think he could consider moving.
I think Barry Daly is far ahead of Byrne at the moment, so I would nearly swap the above with Barry
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

15 11 to Leinster at HT.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Tries by Dave Kearney and Scott Penny.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

34 18 to Leinster 55 minutes
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

46 25 on 75 minutes.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Some 2nd half
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Some step on Vakh
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

how long until vakh overtakes bent?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

How was our 16th man?
Y'know, the one with the whistle.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!