The Scott Fardy Appreciation Thread

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: The Scott Fardy Appreciation Thread

Post by johng »

Jonny tight lips wrote:Also if they were to write down these rules on NIE and NIQ it would be better for all concerned and the provinces could plan better for future seasons.
It really wouldn't suit the IRFU to do that. There are so many variables and possible scenarios where the same rules could be both good and bad for the IRFU

EG Ulster have Pienaer for 7 years and do nothing nada bubkiss for the Irish 9 jersey. As soon as he leaves they have a guy doing the business for them.

Leinster have Scot Fardy for 2 and bring James Ryan through at 2nd row and have 3 more on the boil. Will they make him leave? I wouldn't personally I think he is good for Leinster AND the IRFU.

He may or may not want to stay but if he does he would be a great bit of business. V low mileage for his age

They also made a point of saying he was signed as a 2nd row which some interpreted as he HAD to ONLY play there. Until he started at 6 of course. :)

It's the Irish way. Rules were made to be broken.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:
Jonny tight lips wrote:Also if they were to write down these rules on NIE and NIQ it would be better for all concerned and the provinces could plan better for future seasons.
It really wouldn't suit the IRFU to do that. There are so many variables and possible scenarios where the same rules could be both good and bad for the IRFU

EG Ulster have Pienaer for 7 years and do nothing nada bubkiss for the Irish 9 jersey. As soon as he leaves they have a guy doing the business for them.

Leinster have Scot Fardy for 2 and bring James Ryan through at 2nd row and have 3 more on the boil. Will they make him leave? I wouldn't personally I think he is good for Leinster AND the IRFU.

He may or may not want to stay but if he does he would be a great bit of business. V low mileage for his age

They also made a point of saying he was signed as a 2nd row which some interpreted as he HAD to ONLY play there. Until he started at 6 of course. :)

It's the Irish way. Rules were made to be broken.
In fairness the word "primarily" has to be used in conjunction with any signing.
Injuries happen and ideally you want to sign a player who can play well in more than one position.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

mildlyinterested wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/fardy-co ... e-leinster

Fardy to Wasps?
You could at least acknowledge that 2 others have mentioned this already, in this thread, using a link to the same site.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
hungryhippo4star

Post by hungryhippo4star »

Sign him on for another two years while Jack Dunne, Oisin Dowling and Charlie Ryan develop into senior players. He doesn't play a massive amount of games so age/durability shouldn't be an issue and we need cover when Toner and James Ryan are on international duty/injured.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

hungryhippo4star wrote:Sign him on for another two years while Jack Dunne, Oisin Dowling and Charlie Ryan develop into senior players. He doesn't play a massive amount of games so age/durability shouldn't be an issue and we need cover when Toner and James Ryan are on international duty/injured.
IRFU wont allow it.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:
hungryhippo4star wrote:Sign him on for another two years while Jack Dunne, Oisin Dowling and Charlie Ryan develop into senior players. He doesn't play a massive amount of games so age/durability shouldn't be an issue and we need cover when Toner and James Ryan are on international duty/injured.
IRFU wont allow it.
Yeah and that might be the real problem. The IRFU might say "alright go on, one more year but no more" and that's really the best we could hope for. Whereas someone like Wasps could offer him a 3 year contract. It's a no brainer for him really, unfortunately :(
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
IRFU wont allow it.
Yeah and that might be the real problem. The IRFU might say "alright go on, one more year but no more" and that's really the best we could hope for. Whereas someone like Wasps could offer him a 3 year contract. It's a no brainer for him really, unfortunately :(
Exactly what they did to Nathan Hines.
It's cute hoorism.
Probably wouldn't let Leinster give him a three year contract knowing how the contractual side would look like after two years.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

So these leaks to the media are obviously the softening up process so when it's announced we will all shrug our shoulders.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote:So these leaks to the media are obviously the softening up process so when it's announced we will all shrug our shoulders.
seems to be the pattern alright.

Leinster have lost in last 12 months:

Isa
Jordi
Nacewa
SOB
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

mildlyinterested wrote:
the spoofer wrote:So these leaks to the media are obviously the softening up process so when it's announced we will all shrug our shoulders.
seems to be the pattern alright.

Leinster have lost in last 12 months:

Isa
Jordi
Nacewa
SOB
Isa counts as a doubler. He was that good.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ross Molony on Fardy
Scott Fardy has been a revelation in that sense since joining Leinster as he remains one of the main drivers behind the standards not dropping.

"I have definitely taken a lot from 'Fards'," Molony maintains. "He will also have a point of view on things and always speak up as one of the leaders in team meetings. He is such an experienced player. He didn't come into his best form until late in his career which again is something you can admire and look up to. He's been around the block so he has a bit of everything there.

"He could bring in a different point of view like line-speed in defence or getting that extra bit out of your maul. There are a whole variety of things he can offer."
https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 18911.html
Last edited by mildlyinterested on February 19th, 2019, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

The former Ireland U20 star is also concentrating hard on improving certain skills he feels he needs to hone.

"The lineout is a big area of improvement for me," he adds.

"Through school and underage level I wasn’t involved too much; it would have been five-man lineouts and I would have been out so I’m doing a lot of work on my jump-shape and things like that, which is obviously crucial to the lineouts

"[Leo Cullen and Devin Toner] are very helpful and especially Scott [Fardy] during these periods, he’s always a good one for tips."
Doris name drops Fardy.
Jonny tight lips
Graduate

Post by Jonny tight lips »

mildlyinterested wrote:
The former Ireland U20 star is also concentrating hard on improving certain skills he feels he needs to hone.

"The lineout is a big area of improvement for me," he adds.

"Through school and underage level I wasn’t involved too much; it would have been five-man lineouts and I would have been out so I’m doing a lot of work on my jump-shape and things like that, which is obviously crucial to the lineouts

"[Leo Cullen and Devin Toner] are very helpful and especially Scott [Fardy] during these periods, he’s always a good one for tips."
Doris name drops Fardy.
If say Leo and Stuart have told all the young lads to name drop him in the coming weeks, try justify an extension
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

We need Big Daddy!We wouldn't be a gazillion points ahead in the league at this point already, if Fardy and the kids hadn't obliterated the likes of the Dragons over there during the Autumn Internationals, when our green contingent was away with Joe.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Scott Fardy has signed a one year contract extension with Leinster and will remain with the club next season.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

mildlyinterested wrote:Scott Fardy has signed a one year contract extension with Leinster and will remain with the club next season.
Get the fup in! Well done mildly I knew you'd pull it out of the bag :D
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

LeinsterLeader wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Scott Fardy has signed a one year contract extension with Leinster and will remain with the club next season.
Get the fup in! Well done mildly I knew you'd pull it out of the bag :D
Fantastic news. Fardy's leadership is of great importance to the squad.
bails
Graduate

Post by bails »

Fantastic News, after a decidedly mixed weekend for Irish Rugby.

I hope this isn't a wind up Mildly !
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

The news is from Cian Tracey, not sure why MI didn't included the link in his post.

https://twitter.com/CianTracey1/status/ ... 8319570945