Exeter Chiefs v Leinster Sunday 5.30 BT

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Exeter Chiefs v Leinster Sunday 5.30 BT

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It's rare that we have so few injuries (although I've probably jinxed us now) so really expect a huge performance on Sunday. As I said earlier in the week, no matter how good Exeter are we should back ourselves with the quality and ambition we have. I'm not being dismissive of Exeter but we should be better.

Repeating myself again here but they like to hide their centres deep in behind pods of forwards and when they execute well it allows them to isolate someone in the outside centre channel, but there are no better centres in Europe than Henshaw and Ringrose at rushing up to kill that space and I think we'll get some joy from rushing up and smashing them behind the gainline. Very important that Ferg (I suspect that's why he's ahead of DK) and Isa stay connected with the centres otherwise Woodburn and Short will bury us. From what I've seen we can really starve Woodburn and Short of ball if we don't kick loosely to them, they're more dangerous in that regard than off phase play.

I'm a bit confused as to why Ferg didn't start last week if he was going to jump ahead of DK for this one.

Looking forward to seeing Ruddock against Armand, suspect they'll have a great battle and be knackered by the end of it. Our bench is great, particularly up front. McGrath, Ryan, and VDF are phenomenal guys to have fresh at the end of the game. Larmour could have a big impact too but given the team we've picked I don't think our game plan will suit him too much and that if we need him to come up with something then we'll have f%~ked up.

I can't wait for this, having won the first two games I'm more excited about what we can do rather than worried about the result. My one big concern is that Baxter will have us sussed at the lineout and that that would put us on the back foot. Our throwing is a lottery there but we've stepped up in big games so far this season. I'm hopeful that our defence up front and in midfield will be strong enough that we'll survive elsehwere.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

curates_egg wrote:The team that was predicted/expected.
They will have to make lots of tackles if Exeter play to par. As such, it's reassuring to see Henrose together for the first time this season (and outside Jonny).
Bookies had it a 2 point game last time I checked. It would be great if that were in our direction.
Skybet and Paddy Power still have us at 2+

Seirously close to call.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Snowmageddon and strong winds predicted on Sunday for the West Mids as far south as Bristol. Won't take much of a shift for that to descend enough to encompass Exeter. If the conditions turn it into a no-attack arm wrestle type of game our selection looks particularly favourable. Can't wait for this :green clap:
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Hard to predict whether the lack of pace in our back 3 will get exposed but Clermont were able to expose Isa early in semi final last April. A lot will depend on whether our pack can dominate and would also expect Cronin to stay wide probably on Isa's side. Apart from possible weakness on wings we have very strong team and bench but would be happy with lbp.
molloyjh
Mullet

Post by molloyjh »

Exeter supporters to welcome Leinster supporters with curry. Why am I not going to this one!?

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 8,16167011
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Our pack to come off the bench will have a huge impact here. Serious depth.

I would be slightly worried by lineout, we might see Conan used a bit as a 4th jumper.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

wixfjord wrote:Our pack to come off the bench will have a huge impact here. Serious depth.

I would be slightly worried by lineout, we might see Conan used a bit as a 4th jumper.
Aliied to the comment by @LeRouxisPhat re our lineout, I would emphasise that their second rows are not reknowned nor is Waldron as major line-out exponents. I would expect us to attack their No 2 ball with Fardy - lifted by Furlong - and their No 4 ball with Dev - lifted by Rhys. Our guys are good at this and although Cowen-Dickie is a decent thrower, he doesn't have to compete against international units very often, except when they're playing Sarries.

Their scrum and maul are their premium attacking weapons. Slade is decent alongside Whitton, but won't beat Ringer on the outside. Woodburn is an excellent competitor under the high ball, but Rob, Isa and Ferg are pretty accurate in this area.

They're good, don't make many mistakes and work for each other. But not a lot of X factor and we have. Concentrate, stay in the game for 30 minutes and game on.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Double
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

We are playing the premiership champions. A team that is also on a 10+ game winning streak.

We're fooked. Totally fooked.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

weather will likely have an impact...but ....
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
what are the chances of a yellow/red card deciding this one......
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

brotheroffrank wrote:weather will likely have an impact...but ....
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
what are the chances of a yellow/red card deciding this one......
we put 60 points on an English team last time he reffed us. :D

Suspect this'll be a lot closer.

We've won 8 matches out of 9 with Poite in Europe including our last visit to Exeter. Only defeat was at home to London Irish in 2009. Seven of the nine games have been at home, one in Exeter and the final in 2011.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Logorrhea wrote:We are playing the premiership champions. A team that is also on a 10+ game winning streak.

We're fooked. Totally fooked.
Amen
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

That team should be good enough to win though I have doubts about McFadden and Isa who are sluggish in getting up to speed.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Rugby is a funny game. There are, at best, 2 players from that Exeter team who'd make the Leinster XV but plenty of us think a LBP would be a good return.

I think we're gonna beat them up front and Johnny will peg them back for 80 mins. Leinster by 9
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

suisse wrote:Rugby is a funny game. There are, at best, 2 players from that Exeter team who'd make the Leinster XV but plenty of us think a LBP would be a good return.

I think we're gonna beat them up front and Johnny will peg them back for 80 mins. Leinster by 9
Composite team:

1.Healy 2.Cowan-Dickie 3.Furlong

4.Fardy 5.Toner

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.SOB

9.White 10.Sexton 12.Slade 13.Henshaw 14.Nowell

11.Woodburn (would pick Lowe but not in squad) 15.R.Kearney

16.Tracy 17.J.McGrath 18.Williams 19.James Ryan 20.Armand 21.L.McGrath 22.Steenson 23.Ringrose

Selecting so few Exeter players could leave me with egg on my face....indeed, many on here will probably be outraged that I put Ringrose on the bench behind Slade (I like having two distributors for first- and second-five-eighth) or putting Cowan-Dickie ahead of Tracy.

Their outstanding form notwithstanding, I do think we'll win. Cold, dry weather expected so should be a nice open game.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

molloyjh wrote:Exeter supporters to welcome Leinster supporters with curry. Why am I not going to this one!?

Never mind the pre-match curry! The post-match homemade pasties and rice krispie cakes are to die for!!!
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

molloyjh wrote:Exeter supporters to welcome Leinster supporters with curry. Why am I not going to this one!?

It’s a clever ruse to stop us taking the front terrace spots did the same with a bun fight in a tent the last time (Blue buns if memory serves ? or was that the weather ?).... don’t give in to temptation :wink: that said they are fantastic supporters !.
Flying wedge
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Match Preview

Leinster return to European action this week to face their toughest test of the season so far.

They take on the English Champions Exeter, who are also the current leaders in the Premiership. Exeter are a remarkable rags to riches story, especially in the era of the mega-bucks English clubs like Waaps, Saracens and Bath throwing their wads around like 'Loadsamoney' wannabies.

Read more...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

neiliog93 wrote:
suisse wrote:Rugby is a funny game. There are, at best, 2 players from that Exeter team who'd make the Leinster XV but plenty of us think a LBP would be a good return.

Composite team:

1.Healy 2.Cowan-Dickie 3.Furlong

4.Fardy 5.Toner

6.Ruddock 8.Conan 7.SOB

9.White 10.Sexton 12.Slade 13.Henshaw 14.Nowell

11.Woodburn (would pick Lowe but not in squad) 15.R.Kearney

16.Tracy 17.J.McGrath 18.Williams 19.James Ryan 20.Armand 21.L.McGrath 22.Steenson 23.Ringrose

Selecting so few Exeter players could leave me with egg on my face....indeed, many on here will probably be outraged that I put Ringrose on the bench behind Slade (I like having two distributors for first- and second-five-eighth) or putting Cowan-Dickie ahead of Tracy.

Their outstanding form notwithstanding, I do think we'll win. Cold, dry weather expected so should be a nice open game.
You would seriously put Slade - a fine player- ahead of Ringrose, who many thought was unlucky not to make the Lions squad? Slade will be lucky to make an England bench. Also Cronin starts today. I'd definitely take his 130+ Leinster caps and half century of Irish appearances over a guy very much on fringes of England. It honestly seems like adding more players to not offend someone
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I am worried about the quality of our back three and particularly McFadden and Isa who are both past it. I blame Cullen. He is pretty gutless in selection as he showed when he was part and parcel of the O’Connor regime that still has negative import for us. I believe we should win even though we have hamstrung ourselves. Exeter are no great shakes and we have had a good run in beating England’s best for many years. If we want to again be a power in Europe these are the matches we have got to win.