New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

paddyor wrote: June 1st, 2022, 1:50 pm
backrower8 wrote: June 1st, 2022, 1:03 pm There are other structural issues in our loss, such as the lack of regular pressure matches, the huge level of team rotation due to our involvement in the Ireland squad, the fact that we rarely play away in hostile environemnts - but the big piece is a fresh voice at the top with a skill-set that will build on what we have.
The bolded are a little at odds with each other. A lot of these guys have 9 test games this season. You can't really replicate a final like that. Doris was the big surprise for me. First time I've ever thought he looked a little out of place in a match. He's stepped into every level of the game like he belonged. Not putting it all on him, just by way of example. It happens.
The whole team looked nervous/spooked Paddy it’s the most nervous display I can remember from a Leinster team and we still could’ve (should’ve ?) won
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The Doc wrote: June 1st, 2022, 1:13 pm SOB announced as contact coach

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk
I'm absolutely thrilled about this. From what I've heard about Seanie's coaching, he puts considerable emphasis on how the team and its players physically impose their will on the opposition. This could be a great appointment. Here's wishing SO'B the very best in his new role and a fáilte mór ar ais!!!

p.s. Here's a fascinating OTB interview with a sports stats analysis re Leinster performance indicators in general and vs La Rochelle in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv9K_KOXiUU.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

backrower8 wrote: June 1st, 2022, 1:03 pm There are other structural issues in our loss, such as the lack of regular pressure matches, the huge level of team rotation due to our involvement in the Ireland squad, the fact that we rarely play away in hostile environemnts - but the big piece is a fresh voice at the top with a skill-set that will build on what we have.
The bolded are a little at odds with each other. A lot of these guys have 9 test games this season. You can't really replicate a final like that. Doris was the big surprise for me. First time I've ever thought he looked a little out of place in a match. He's stepped into every level of the game like he belonged. Not putting it all on him, just by way of example. It happens.
Yes before the final, when I felt that beating Leicester (Connacht nearly did them twice) and an exhausted Toulouse team wasn't all that convincing of the praise we were getting, I told myself that we had 12 players that had gone to war away from home against France and England, as well as beating New Zealand - and that would suffice. However, those games are interspersed over time.

La Rochelle play hard games , regularly, TOGETHER (less rotation than us), week-in and week-out. 12 wins in 14 consecutive weeks, with only losses away to Toulouse and Toulon. They regularly play away to hostile crowds.

We are more like the Harlem Globetrotters, playing exhibition matches with tepid crowds a lot of the time. South African teams won't bring big crowds.

Playing hard matches, regularly, to big crowds, together as a group of 30 (not 60) is what gets you over the line when the ultimate pressure comes on.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Hoofhearted wrote: June 1st, 2022, 1:20 pm

My initial reaction was GREAT!

Seconds later I was considering if this is such a smart move? Sean has no top level coaching experience.
I think it's a really good and exciting appointment.

SOB was as good a player at the breakdown as Irish rugby has ever produced, and he's coming with a sh*tload of how-to and up to date knowledge on a particular subject. We're not asking him to take on lineouts, scrums etc., we're looking for him to put his imprint on how guys are performing at the sharp end of contact. He has come straight off the pitch and knows what he's talking about.

He is also a f*cking huge personality and an inspiring character. A ferocious character! I think he'll add a lot to the make-up of the coaching squad – he brings a very different tone to Leo or Stuart Lancaster. Jim Telfer to their Ian McGeechan.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 1st, 2022, 1:57 pm
The whole team looked nervous/spooked Paddy it’s the most nervous display I can remember from a Leinster team and we still could’ve (should’ve ?) won
We were waaaaaay worse against Saracens in the QF at Lansdowne Road a couple of seasons ago. It's not even close.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

backrower8 wrote: June 1st, 2022, 2:08 pm
Yes before the final, when I felt that beating Leicester (Connacht nearly did them twice) and an exhausted Toulouse team wasn't all that convincing of the praise we were getting, I told myself that we had 12 players that had gone to war away from home against France and England, as well as beating New Zealand - and that would suffice. However, those games are interspersed over time.

La Rochelle play hard games , regularly, TOGETHER (less rotation than us), week-in and week-out. 12 wins in 14 consecutive weeks, with only losses away to Toulouse and Toulon. They regularly play away to hostile crowds.

We are more like the Harlem Globetrotters, playing exhibition matches with tepid crowds a lot of the time. South African teams won't bring big crowds.

Playing hard matches, regularly, to big crowds, together as a group of 30 (not 60) is what gets you over the line when the ultimate pressure comes on.
They absolutely rotate as much as us. It's a 26 game regular season. They played 3 games back to back vs Bordeaux with 3 different 23s and starting 15s.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

hugonaut wrote: June 1st, 2022, 2:17 pm
We were waaaaaay worse against Saracens in the QF at Lansdowne Road a couple of seasons ago. It's not even close.
Maybe I’ve blocked that one out…
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

hugonaut wrote: June 1st, 2022, 2:13 pm

Seconds later I was considering if this is such a smart move? Sean has no top level coaching experience.
I think it's a really good and exciting appointment.

SOB was as good a player at the breakdown as Irish rugby has ever produced, and he's coming with a sh*tload of how-to and up to date knowledge on a particular subject. We're not asking him to take on lineouts, scrums etc., we're looking for him to put his imprint on how guys are performing at the sharp end of contact. He has come straight off the pitch and knows what he's talking about.

He is also a f*cking huge personality and an inspiring character. A ferocious character! I think he'll add a lot to the make-up of the coaching squad – he brings a very different tone to Leo or Stuart Lancaster. Jim Telfer to their Ian McGeechan.
Nail on the head, Hugonaut. Leo thinks similarly to ourselves, if with a somewhat different choice of words (courtesy of the42):

“It is great to be able to welcome Seán back home to Leinster. On the rugby pitch, Seán at his best was virtually unplayable and he was an amazing contributor to Leinster, Ireland and the Lions.

In a Leinster shirt, he played a key role in some of our greatest days on the European stage and we hope he can pass on some of his vast experience and winning mentality to our current squad.

I know that Seán has always been a keen student of the game and has been heavily involved with coaching in Tullow RFC going back to his early playing days. We believe he has a very bright future in coaching and I think it’s a win-win for both sides to have him back here.

In addition to his experience, Seán has always been a brilliant presence in the Leinster changing room and I think our group will be excited and energised by having him back involved.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: June 1st, 2022, 2:35 pm
hugonaut wrote: June 1st, 2022, 2:17 pm

Maybe I’ve blocked that one out…
If you drop the ball in your own half it's 3 points to Sarries......
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's coming in as contact skills coach. It's so low down in the coaching pecking order that most teams don't have one. Leinster used 60 players so far this season, a deeper coaching pool is needed to stop important areas getting neglected.

He'll learn on the job. He knows the area. He doesn't need to pick the team or stress out over which signing to make. He just gives some guys some attention on tackling, carrying into contact and rucking.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Good news on SOB.... :D :D

Will transfer his teak tough approach onto the lads.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Blueberry wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 12:30 am Good news on SOB.... :D :D

Is that to say that SOB is more teak tough in his approach than Leamy? I don't think so myself.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

backrower8 wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 11:18 am
Blueberry wrote: June 2nd, 2022, 12:30 am Good news on SOB.... :D :D

Is that to say that SOB is more teak tough in his approach than Leamy? I don't think so myself.
Deffo :D :D
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Andrew Goodman being mentioned as possible replacement to Felipe, in the IT this morning. He's currently backs coach at Crusaders.
My most distinct memory of him is him literally running over a Scarlet's player on the wing, in front of me in the RDS, on the way to scoring a try.
Dont Panic!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dexter wrote: June 11th, 2022, 12:31 pm Andrew Goodman being mentioned as possible replacement to Felipe, in the IT this morning. He's currently backs coach at Crusaders.
My most distinct memory of him is him literally running over a Scarlet's player on the wing, in front of me in the RDS, on the way to scoring a try.
Interesting. Struck me as a smart player. Shame he was with us during our lowest point for a while.

I'm not on the Robin McBryde hype train. Just not feeling it, to be honest. Will be interesting to see if Seanie gets fast tracked.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

jezzer wrote: June 11th, 2022, 1:17 pm
Dexter wrote: June 11th, 2022, 12:31 pm Andrew Goodman being mentioned as possible replacement to Felipe, in the IT this morning. He's currently backs coach at Crusaders.
Interesting. Struck me as a smart player. Shame he was with us during our lowest point for a while.

I'm not on the Robin McBryde hype train. Just not feeling it, to be honest. Will be interesting to see if Seanie gets fast tracked.
Yes he seemed a smart player alright, made the best use of his abilities if I remember correctly. I'm also beginning to wonder about some of the coaching set up.
Dont Panic!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

We had a vacancy as backs/attack coach.
We appear to have a need as forwards/set piece coach.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Goodman’s arrival confirmed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Super. Kept relatively quiet. Good ex-player who knows us and Leo and so will understand what we're about.

At first I was surprised that he'd move sideways out of NZ but actually it makes a lot of sense for an ambitious coach. He's got head experience in Tasman and Super Rugby coaching with Crusaders.

A lot of the NZ coaches look to build experience abroad. He probably needs to do it to move to the next level. He gets most of the Irish backline when the Ireland-NZ rivalry is at a historical high. Leinster are playing good rugby and willing to innovate, there are NZ connections.

It's actually a good gig for a rising NZ coach. He gets to coach against the SA clubs and wide experience around Europe.

Leinster looked like the best side in Europe at times, so winning with us isn't out of the question, in which case he opens paths to grow in Leinster, return to NZ Super rugby, join an international setup or get a lucrative deal in England, France or Japan.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Let's hope Saul has a impact on the team, the time is now for some fresh input into how we play
Anyone But New Zealand