New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by sunshiner1 »

by jezzer

His job is to get the best out of the squad he has and i don't believe that's happening. Based on those comments on Wales Online i get the impression he's not very aligned with the coaching direction. That's ok if you're a constructive counterpoint to the groupthink, but there's a sulky whiff off McBryde. I'd have thought he'd be the kind of guy players would go to war for, but i think the reverse could be true. Just my interpretation of what I'm seeing, reading and hearing - zero inside knowledge.
The same. I wasn't blown away when he came in but now it seems he's either stale or has been found out. Would like a new person in with new ideas. Can anyone remember who was the scrum coach with Japan when Jones was in charge of them is?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

desperado wrote: June 14th, 2022, 10:48 pm Found Nathan Hines on Linkedin. Working with Gallagher insurance. He posted this 2 weeks ago (Leinster still in his blood)
Based on his work in Connacht and subsequently with the U.20's Jimmy Duffy is the forwards coach who has wrought some of the best improvement in forwards scrum and maul in Provincial rugby in recent years. Doesn't have the stellar playing career at the top level like others such as Hines or Jeremy Davidson but he certainly produces the goods.

Certainly wouldn't mind him turning up in Leinster.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

sunshiner1 wrote: June 15th, 2022, 6:06 am
by jezzer

His job is to get the best out of the squad he has and i don't believe that's happening. Based on those comments on Wales Online i get the impression he's not very aligned with the coaching direction. That's ok if you're a constructive counterpoint to the groupthink, but there's a sulky whiff off McBryde. I'd have thought he'd be the kind of guy players would go to war for, but i think the reverse could be true. Just my interpretation of what I'm seeing, reading and hearing - zero inside knowledge.
The same. I wasn't blown away when he came in but now it seems he's either stale or has been found out. Would like a new person in with new ideas. Can anyone remember who was the scrum coach with Japan when Jones was in charge of them is?
Think Steve Borthwick was the forwards coach while Eddie Jones was there.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

cormac wrote: June 15th, 2022, 8:33 am
by jezzer

He was lineout. Scrum was Marc dal Maso.

There's a video of Eddie Jones talking about him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsdEOzpMI9Q

And a video showing how much they improved under him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6z1rwo1aP8
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

leinsterforever wrote: June 15th, 2022, 8:57 am
cormac wrote: June 15th, 2022, 8:33 am

He was lineout. Scrum was Marc dal Maso.

There's a video of Eddie Jones talking about him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsdEOzpMI9Q

And a video showing how much they improved under him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6z1rwo1aP8
Jesus where is he now and how quickly can we sign him up! 😂
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

by jezzer

I raised the question here a few weeks/months ago because some wum Welsh journalist was claiming he was the secret to Leinster’s success.

I think it’s fair to say that we have regressed in all areas of forward play, apart from maybe the ruck (which is not really forward coaching domain or forward play, per se).

The scrum has definitely regressed while he has been here, but there are mitigating factors: changed personnel being key. At best, his record in overseeing the transition in our scrum is mixed.
Is he responsible for any other aspects of forward coaching? Because we have regressed everywhere, so if he isn’t, then replacing him won’t be a silver bullet.
Last edited by curates_egg on June 15th, 2022, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

https://www.unitedrugby.com/statistics

Munster have statistically the 2nd best scrum but were joint 13th on scrum penalties won, i.e. next to dead last.

There are anomalies for lineout too. Those stats are worthless.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

curates_egg wrote: June 15th, 2022, 12:02 pm
by jezzer

I raised the question here a few weeks/months ago because some wum Welsh journalist was claiming he was the secret to Leinster’s success.

I think it’s fair to say that we have regressed in all areas of forward play, apart from maybe the ruck (which is not really forward coaching domain or forward play, per se).

The scrum has definitely regressed while he has been here, but there are mitigating factors: changed personnel being key. At best, his record in overseeing the transition in our scrum is mixed.
Is he responsible for any other aspects of forward coaching? Because we have regressed everywhere, so if he isn’t, then replacing him won’t be a silver bullet.
Well from what the players were saying prior to leamy being signed up to go back to Munster, that he was the main reason our rucks have been so good and that leamy did a huge amount of work with the team on perfecting that
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

David Havili of the Crusaders speaking very well of Andrew Goodman after their final this morning. Said he was one of the best coaches he's ever had. Good to hear. He's coming from a winning environment too. That can't be bad.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

Havili was emotional about Goodman’s departure, serious endorsement.
I wonder what role he’ll fill and am interested in the general dynamics of the coaching team for next year. The big change would be if Leo moves upstairs to replace Dawson. Presume Lancaster would become head coach which would see further changes to the ticket
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The progress of Kelleher, Sheehan, Boyle, Ed Byrne and McKee during McBryde's tenure can't be ignored. However, based on performances for Leinster, as opposed to Ireland, Furlong and Porter have stalled this year, or maybe we're not using them properly. Without adequate power coming through from the second and back row, even the highest quality front-rows can't be dominant in scrums or mauls.

As scrum and maul technique becomes more technical, there is a levelling down to physicality. Watching Crusaders & Blues this morning, the scrums were genuinely used as restarts with both No 8's able to pick any ball they wanted. The mauls were much more a contest of which pack wanted to choose to attack their opponents at front or back. There was also a considerable number of mid-field line-out throws, particularly by the Blues as their line-out was put under pressure.

Overall, The Leinster scrum has not impressed me in important games this year, but our maul has. However, I think that our use of maul and line-out variations has been stale and generally poor, in big games. We're too predictable and we rarely surprise opponents.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The rugby paper saying that Racing are after Lancaster for next summer. Can’t read the article but don’t think there’s any suggestion that it’s happening, just that they want him, as I’m sure a lot of clubs do.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: July 10th, 2022, 12:07 pm The rugby paper saying that Racing are after Lancaster for next summer. Can’t read the article but don’t think there’s any suggestion that it’s happening, just that they want him, as I’m sure a lot of clubs do.
https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/le ... 29217.html

In the Indo now.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

D4surfer wrote: July 10th, 2022, 10:49 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: July 10th, 2022, 12:07 pm The rugby paper saying that Racing are after Lancaster for next summer. Can’t read the article but don’t think there’s any suggestion that it’s happening, just that they want him, as I’m sure a lot of clubs do.

In the Indo now.
In a paper of such repute? Must be a fact so. Bye Stu, thanks for the memories.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

In the Indo now.
For Lancaster to take a job which would take more time away from his family, Racing would have to be have huge buy in from the players for a change of culture. And for a bunch of highly paid primadonnas who are overly found of the patisserie I just don't see that happening, and therefore don't think Lancaster will want to do it. He's already seen first hand what happens when players won't buy into his ways.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In the Indo now.
This is just the Indo reporting other reports. Nothing original in that piece.
Blue Man
Enlightened

Post by Blue Man »

This must be the first article linking Stu with another job. Since he join d Leinster. We should be terrified…
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

curates_egg wrote: June 15th, 2022, 12:02 pm
by jezzer

John Plumtree is a free agent…
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Independent reporting that Declan Darcy is joining Leinster a performance coach.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 75776.html
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

cormac wrote: July 29th, 2022, 8:58 am Independent reporting that Declan Darcy is joining Leinster a performance coach.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 75776.html
Very interesting, he's highly rated in Dublin GAA.

Would've been touted as a potential Dessie Farrell successor and was part of Gavin's management team for the 5 in a row.

If Cullen/Stu think he's a good fit then he should add to the team.

Good to have different perspectives from outside too.