New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

sunshiner1
Mullet

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by sunshiner1 »

by jezzer

I'm not on the Robin McBryde hype train. Just not feeling it, to be honest. Will be interesting to see if Seanie gets fast tracked.
Came here to write the same. Hasn't really impressed since he's arrived. Hope to see an improvement next season or it's time to go.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Haven't listened to it all yet but so far some interesting stuff in this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6tuVspgTETE

Edit: Great story about getting locked into Croke Park with his mates while on a "Save the Mako" tour :lol:
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on June 14th, 2022, 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

jezzer wrote: June 11th, 2022, 1:17 pm
I'm not on the Robin McBryde hype train. Just not feeling it, to be honest.

His hands are tied though by the decision to try to turn a mediocre loosehead who became a world class tighthead back into a loosehead. Because, as we've seen over the last couple of weeks, set pieces have no impact whatsoever on the outcome of rugby matches
I have Bumbleflex
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

FLIP wrote: June 14th, 2022, 8:52 am Let's hope Saul has a impact on the team, the time is now for some fresh input into how we play
I endorse this nickname :clap:
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 14th, 2022, 10:53 am

His hands are tied though by the decision to try to turn a mediocre loosehead who became a world class tighthead back into a loosehead. Because, as we've seen over the last couple of weeks, set pieces have no impact whatsoever on the outcome of rugby matches
That's not the entire story, although it is a huge plot point. Post Sarries QF we changed how we scrummaged and it seemed to work really well - but we're not using the same techniques anymore, and I'm unsure as to why. But I feel like Robin McBryde has reached the stage that many coaches do, where they run out of new and novel ideas and are a bit worked out. The good reinvent themselves, and the greats do so repeatedly.
Anyone But New Zealand
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Porter wasn't a 'mediocre' LH, but you know that.

The bigger question is, what difference would leaving him on TH had made this year? Would Healy starting and Dooley/Byrne benching have been better?

No chance we're getting a NIQ LH with those three there.

Porter dealt admirably with Atonio and has had a good season btw. The scrum wasn't really an issue in the final.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Leo Voted URC coach of the season by all other HC's

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/statu ... 2681295875
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: June 14th, 2022, 12:59 pm Porter wasn't a 'mediocre' LH, but you know that.

The bigger question is, what difference would leaving him on TH had made this year? Would Healy starting and Dooley/Byrne benching have been better?

He was and currently is a mediocre loosehead prop - he is an inferior scrummager to Healy and Dooley and maybe even Byrne and that is his primary function. He is certainly better around the park than them, but he was better around the park than them as a tighthead too. A strategic decision has been taken to sacrifice the scrum until and if he gets to a higher level because of his play in the open, we can have both him and Furlong on the pitch at the same time. Will he move up a level? I think he will because he has done so before when he switched tight. Has he? Not yet.

In the scrum? Yes. Around the park, no.

Nope, none.
I have Bumbleflex
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

FLIP wrote: June 14th, 2022, 8:52 am Let's hope Saul has a impact on the team, the time is now for some fresh input into how we play
I don’t think our coaching setup can ever be accused of sitting on their laurels especially as we have progressed our style over the last few years. At the end of the day we were seconds from being euro champs again and did it playing some super rugby this season. We also are doing it with players mostly born within a 40 mile radius of HQ
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Dave Cahill wrote: June 14th, 2022, 1:12 pm
wixfjord wrote: June 14th, 2022, 12:59 pm Porter wasn't a 'mediocre' LH, but you know that.

He was and currently is a mediocre loosehead prop - he is an inferior scrummager to Healy and Dooley and maybe even Byrne and that is his primary function. He is certainly better around the park than them, but he was better around the park than them as a tighthead too. A strategic decision has been taken to sacrifice the scrum until and if he gets to a higher level because of his play in the open, we can have both him and Furlong on the pitch at the same time. Will he move up a level? I think he will because he has done so before when he switched tight. Has he? Not yet.

In the scrum? Yes. Around the park, no.

Nope, none.
He's starting LH prop for a top national team and one of Europe's best sides. So no he's not mediocre.

He was a huge prospect before he moved to TH, so he wasn't 'mediocre' then either. You've said this before and it's not really true at all. He was behind Dooley & Byrne because they were good prospects and he was a raw 20/21 year old.

You do remember we had huge scrum issues with Healy in previous seasons against Sarries and LAR right? And you have seen the decline Cian has had over the last 12-18 months too I assume?

We had issues against Tigers & Toulouse in the scrum, a lot of which were on Tadhg's side actually. Is he mediocre?

We lost 2 pens and won 1 plus a free kick while he was up against Atonio in the final.

He can definitely improve, and hopefully will

I'd love to know what you've seen in Healy/Dooley/Byrne recently to indicate they'd be better placed to handle 22/3 stone TH props.
Last edited by wixfjord on June 14th, 2022, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

A pretty good appointment, I think.

Obviously it will be tough to replace Felipe's charisma and the knowledge he brought from playing at the very highest level for so long, but once he decided to take up the Argentina role we had to replace him, and I think Goodman is a reasonable choice and will be a good solution.

He was a smart player. The Crusaders speak highly of him as a coach and as a person. His ascent through the coaching ranks has been brisk.

I like having New Zealanders involved. Most of them have been raised from the cradle with rugby and have absorbed all the basics and a lot of the nuances before they're even out of the age-grade stuff. They also tend to be pragmatic thinkers, which will be no harm for us.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Been reading recently, that the Crusaders haven't lost a home k.o. match since Super Rugby started. If AG could bring a bit of that to Dublin, I'd be happy!
Props Have Feelings Too
Beginner

Post by Props Have Feelings Too »

[/quote]That's not the entire story, although it is a huge plot point. Post Sarries QF we changed how we scrummaged and it seemed to work really well - but we're not using the same techniques anymore, and I'm unsure as to why. But I feel like Robin McBryde has reached the stage that many coaches do, where they run out of new and novel ideas and are a bit worked out. The good reinvent themselves, and the greats do so repeatedly.
[/quote]

We seemed to develop a clever solid defensive scrum. An 8 man effort and packed very tightly. No panel gaps at all. It seemed to be able to absorb anything that was thrown at it due to its rigidity. However, the way it was structured meant that it couldn't be used offensively. We could win our ball but not push a team out of it and get a penalty. It seemed (to my amateur eyes) as a trade off. Solid scrum, but we lose an attacking ability. A bit like Homer Simpson when he tried pro boxing. Could take the hits all day but nothing else.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Props Have Feelings Too wrote: June 14th, 2022, 3:50 pm
FLIP wrote:That's not the entire story, although it is a huge plot point. Post Sarries QF we changed how we scrummaged and it seemed to work really well - but we're not using the same techniques anymore, and I'm unsure as to why. But I feel like Robin McBryde has reached the stage that many coaches do, where they run out of new and novel ideas and are a bit worked out. The good reinvent themselves, and the greats do so repeatedly.
We seemed to develop a clever solid defensive scrum. An 8 man effort and packed very tightly. No panel gaps at all. It seemed to be able to absorb anything that was thrown at it due to its rigidity. However, the way it was structured meant that it couldn't be used offensively. We could win our ball but not push a team out of it and get a penalty. It seemed (to my amateur eyes) as a trade off. Solid scrum, but we lose an attacking ability. A bit like Homer Simpson when he tried pro boxing. Could take the hits all day but nothing else.
See, I'm not so sure of that myself, I felt like we were stronger in attack too. And even if we weren't, we are in a worse situation now.
Anyone But New Zealand
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

What about our lineout though? Is that his bailiwick or is McBryde purely scrum coach. Whoever is responsible for coaching our lineup, has a year end performance review of 'improvement required' or some such. Point made on Against the Head, Ireland lineout under POC much improved and is a strength, more animation etc. Our lineout is poor based on URC stats. Leinster supplies (generally) 6 of 8 starting forwards that POC works with (Beirne/Hendo the other 2). As an 'aside', with a side on view from Virage Nord in Marseille it was impressive how high Aldritt was lifted (Skelton?) at lineout time - stratosphere.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

His job is to get the best out of the squad he has and i don't believe that's happening. Based on those comments on Wales Online i get the impression he's not very aligned with the coaching direction. That's ok if you're a constructive counterpoint to the groupthink, but there's a sulky whiff off McBryde. I'd have thought he'd be the kind of guy players would go to war for, but i think the reverse could be true. Just my interpretation of what I'm seeing, reading and hearing - zero inside knowledge.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I wonder what Nathan Hines is doing these days. He was with Vern Cotter as part of the Scotland coaching ticket before Cotter was let go. I've no idea how good/bad or indifferent he would be as a coach; but if he was able to impart half of his 'smarts' and channeled aggression to the pack he'd be worth it.
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

desperado wrote: June 14th, 2022, 10:29 pm I wonder what Nathan Hines is doing these days. He was with Vern Cotter as part of the Scotland coaching ticket before Cotter was let go. I've no idea how good/bad or indifferent he would be as a coach; but if he was able to impart half of his 'smarts' and channeled aggression to the pack he'd be worth it.
Good I loved Hines when he was with us, was very disappointed we didn’t keep him for another season - he definitely was one of the best at the dark arts and being honest that’s something this team does currently miss, sometimes you need someone like that to balance the niceties we have - the allblacks had it with McCaw
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Found Nathan Hines on Linkedin. Working with Gallagher insurance. He posted this 2 weeks ago (Leinster still in his blood)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Whenever I think of Hines I remember someone on here saying that based on how he gets through to the other side of mauls he’d be a great man for getting pints in a crowded pub.