New contracts for coaching ticket

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: New contracts for coaching ticket

Post by Dave Cahill »

I used to be a big fan of Mike Ford, but in the last few years I don't think his coaching has really evolved and the primary (to me anyways) problem with the way he sets teams up hasn't changed at all - his defensive system is very inflexible and when it breaks it absolutely shatters
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:29 am I mentioned MacDonald. But I pulled it out of my arse, based on potential availability, rather than based on any information.
Also, I mentioned him in the context of the head coach role.
Would he really come for such a 'junior' role?

Payne could be a good call. Urios has already been appointed as head coach of Clermont, so I guess that means Payne's role was very interim?
Gibbes brought Payne to Clermont, so you would wonder will he stay as defence coach.
Have you two accounts?!

https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... 75#p817175
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Dave Cahill wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:31 am I used to be a big fan of Mike Ford, but in the last few years I don't think his coaching has really evolved and the primary (to me anyways) problem with the way he sets teams up hasn't changed at all - his defensive system is very inflexible and when it breaks it absolutely shatters
He's definitely yesterday's man at top level - I was being tongue in cheek mentioning him.
I do think he might be able to bring a bit of gravitas to the Belgian side, and he's brought Mouritz Botha on board to coach the forwards.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

curates_egg wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:52 am
Dave Cahill wrote: January 25th, 2023, 10:31 am I used to be a big fan of Mike Ford, but in the last few years I don't think his coaching has really evolved and the primary (to me anyways) problem with the way he sets teams up hasn't changed at all - his defensive system is very inflexible and when it breaks it absolutely shatters
He's definitely yesterday's man at top level - I was being tongue in cheek mentioning him.
I do think he might be able to bring a bit of gravitas to the Belgian side, and he's brought Mouritz Botha on board to coach the forwards.
Certainly at that level I think he will do a good job

Also, bring back that Gilbert jersey from a couple of years ago
I have Bumbleflex
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:57 am
johng wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:32 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... two-years/

Even allowing for the 2 years at Leicester he will be here a quarter of a century
Great news.
Very happy with this. Increased responsibilities for Andrew Goodman and SO'B is the way to go, IMO.
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Felix Jones could be a great addition. In charge of SA defence since Nienebar went upstairs apparently.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Ugh. One of those threads where someone claims to know something/has some information/a close source.....and nothing comes of it. I don't know if this poster is connected or not, but who cares.

It is more fun reading posters throwing out some interesting names than someone connected constantly informing all they have some information.

Great news Cullen is staying. I was told by no one he was gonna stay for 2 years. But my source is reliable.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Suisse you auld dog, you know what you're getting on here, at this stage.

I dunno, I'm pretty underwhelmed by this turn of events, but then again, I was pretty underwhelmed by Lancaster when he came on board. Never foresaw the success he'd be.

That's a pretty inexperienced guy moving up to head coach, by the sounds of it, and Seany getting more responsibility too. I'll reserve judgement, but the Welsh, for example, crucify each other for 'jobs for the boys' approach. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned bringing back Swirve as defence coach.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Leo would remain as head coach, Goodman would just take more responsibility for the attack and someone would be hired as defence coach.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

suisse wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:59 pm Ugh. One of those threads where someone claims to know something/has some information/a close source.....and nothing comes of it. I don't know if this poster is connected or not, but who cares.

It is more fun reading posters throwing out some interesting names than someone connected constantly informing all they have some information.

Great news Cullen is staying. I was told by no one he was gonna stay for 2 years. But my source is reliable.
Not sure if you're referring to me. But Thornley's story today pretty much confirms what I heard ten days ago (and posted here last week - on the previous page of this thread). I normally don't have any inside info - what I was told was third hand (at best).
You would hope Thornley's information is slightly less of the Chinese whispers variety than mine.

This is what I posted last week.
curates_egg wrote: January 16th, 2023, 1:05 pm I heard at the weekend they have two final candidates: one external and one internal.
I can't really guess who the internal one might be, other than Goodman.

I was also happy to indulge in the fantasy of Scott Robertson joining us though.
Last edited by curates_egg on January 25th, 2023, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

BTW, Garve is Sports Master at a fairly high-powered private school outside Bristol - Colstons - who are a "partner" school to Bristol and apparently he's very happy in the role.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... rDQ6ChyXpt
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 11:13 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:57 am
johng wrote: January 25th, 2023, 7:32 am https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... two-years/

Even allowing for the 2 years at Leicester he will be here a quarter of a century
Great news.
Very happy with this. Increased responsibilities for Andrew Goodman and SO'B is the way to go, IMO.
We have a team of 6 coaches. https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/teams/management/

I'd expect the structure to change when Lancaster leaves and more responsibility for coaches looks good, not sure about the team shrinking though.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

desperado wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:23 pm Will Leo go for another 1 year contract extension? Is it too early for Noel McNamara? He's definitely building a very credible CV and has lots of IRFU support and backing (including Nucifora) cutting his teeth (haha) with the Sharks, having been sent on a training stint to NZ, Irl U20s etc. Would have great knowledge obviously from his time with the academy. I wouldn't touch any of Rennie, Pivac, Gibbes.
McNamara from the 2024-25 season, if Leo leaves after 2023-24, would be a superb addition. The experience over there will only do him well.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

Bit confused but apparently Leo said in and interview before the game last night that him signing a 2 year deal is all speculation, if so that’s a bit worrying
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Theleinsterlad wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:43 am Bit confused but apparently Leo said in and interview before the game last night that him signing a 2 year deal is all speculation, if so that’s a bit worrying
He doesnt address contract talk that isnt officially announced
Theleinsterlad
Enlightened

Post by Theleinsterlad »

mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:45 am
Theleinsterlad wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:43 am Bit confused but apparently Leo said in and interview before the game last night that him signing a 2 year deal is all speculation, if so that’s a bit worrying
He doesnt address contrsct talk that isnt officially announced
Morning mildly can’t sleep either 😂
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Theleinsterlad wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:47 am
mildlyinterested wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:45 am
He doesnt address contrsct talk that isnt officially announced
Morning mildly can’t sleep either 😂
Im up early to go hiking :lol:
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Leo Staying two more years. It's official

"The IRFU and Leinster Rugby have confirmed a two-year contract for Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen.

Cullen, who won 221 caps for Leinster as a player, as well as 32 caps for Ireland, has been Head Coach since August 2015.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie, Leinster Rugby CEO Shane Nolan said, “This is great news for all Leinster Rugby supporters.

“Since 2015, Leo has done a remarkable job as Head Coach of Leinster Rugby and securing his signature was one of my top priorities."
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leo Cullen has been head coach for more games (224) than he played for us (221).

He's not far off coaching more games than Cheika and Schmidt combined (233).
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

LeinsterLeader wrote: February 27th, 2023, 1:03 pm Leo Staying two more years. It's official

"The IRFU and Leinster Rugby have confirmed a two-year contract for Leinster Rugby Head Coach Leo Cullen.

Cullen, who won 221 caps for Leinster as a player, as well as 32 caps for Ireland, has been Head Coach since August 2015.

Speaking to leinsterrugby.ie, Leinster Rugby CEO Shane Nolan said, “This is great news for all Leinster Rugby supporters.

“Since 2015, Leo has done a remarkable job as Head Coach of Leinster Rugby and securing his signature was one of my top priorities."
Interesting that Shane Nolan feels the need to publicly seek credit for Leo's new contract.