Robbie Henshaw - Best IQ signing?

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Robbie Henshaw - Best IQ signing?

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Historically (sic), I have been a big supporter of Leinster's signing of top-class NIQ players, on the basis of both their individual performances but also because of their impact on other players within Leinster. However, returning from Castres and thinking about Robbie's two tries on Friday, it struck me that he has been a central influence in the development of many of the young tyros this season.

It's impossible to trace who was the initiator of his signing. Was it Robbie himself, was it his father, was it his Agent, was it the Leinster CEO, was it MO'C, will we ever know?

Whoever it was, they can scarcely have imagined his impact. IMO, he has had the greatest effect on the development of:

Joey Carbery - Henshaw was the threat outside which gave him space;
Luke McGrath - Henshaw has the physique to make poor passes usable;
Noel Reid - Henshaw altered the perception of our mid-field as a threat;
Gary Ringrose - Henshaw provides the direct power which creates space for speed;
Adam Bryne - Henshaw's ability to straighten the line and pass in front makes options;
Rory O'Loughlin - Whether to centre or wing, Henshaw's timing of the pass is great;
Ross Byrne - Very hard to think that Byrne would have survived without Henshaw's presence.

You could add the influence to the games of back-rowers, JvDF, Leavy and Conan and few would argue. Even Jamie and SO'B have prospered in the presence of Henshaw this season.

Without exaggerating his impact barely six months into his career with Leinster, there is no doubt in my mind that Robbie is the most influential player in the Leinster Squad at present and that's a mighty accolade. Long may it continue.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Robbie Henshaw - Best IQ signing?

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Historically (sic), I have been a big supporter of Leinster's signing of top-class NIQ players, on the basis of both their individual performances but also because of their impact on other players within Leinster. However, returning from Castres and thinking about Robbie's two tries on Friday, it struck me that he has been a central influence in the development of many of the young tyros this season.

It's impossible to trace who was the initiator of his signing. Was it Robbie himself, was it his father, was it his Agent, was it the Leinster CEO, was it MO'C, will we ever know?

Whoever it was, they can scarcely have imagined his impact. IMO, he has had the greatest effect on the development of:

Joey Carbery - Henshaw was the threat outside which gave him space;
Luke McGrath - Henshaw has the physique to make poor passes usable;
Noel Reid - Henshaw altered the perception of our mid-field as a threat;
Gary Ringrose - Henshaw provides the direct power which creates space for speed;
Adam Bryne - Henshaw's ability to straighten the line and pass in front makes options;
Rory O'Loughlin - Whether to centre or wing, Henshaw's timing of the pass is great;
Ross Byrne - Very hard to think that Byrne would have survived without Henshaw's presence.

You could add the influence to the games of back-rowers, JvDF, Leavy and Conan and few would argue. Even Jamie and SO'B have prospered in the presence of Henshaw this season.

Without exaggerating his impact barely six months into his career with Leinster, there is no doubt in my mind that Robbie is the most influential player in the Leinster Squad at present and that's a mighty accolade. Long may it continue.
OK, Robbie we hear you, loud and clear.
TBF to you, you've only put in a couple of exaggerations.
There is one player who is more influential than you, but I don't want to tip off our opponents so I won't name him.
JDVF had already established himself in the team and in fact it is his support play perhaps that enables YOU to do all those other things you claim YOU do.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think you're giving him a wee bit too much credit, but he has certainly been excellent for us. Really transformed out backline as an attacking threat. Hopefully Leinster's 10-12-13 also being Ireland's will lead to better Six Nations performances too.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

He's been good signing. We haven't signed many really high impact IQ players direct from other provinces. Mike McCarthy was an international.

In terms of improving players around him, I'm sure he's done it but he was injured at the start of the season so it can't all be him when t was happening already.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Sean Cronin and Mike Ross would be good candidates for that title too. Reddan, also.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

blockhead wrote:Sean Cronin and Mike Ross would be good candidates for that title too. Reddan, also.
Mike Ross was the stone upon which our 2nd/3rd HCs campaigns were built. Reddan was fantastic but without Mike Ross he wouldn't have had much to work with.
Anyone But New Zealand
R-Dog
Graduate

Post by R-Dog »

Sexton no?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

FLIP wrote:
blockhead wrote:Sean Cronin and Mike Ross would be good candidates for that title too. Reddan, also.
Mike Ross was the stone upon which our 2nd/3rd HCs campaigns were built. Reddan was fantastic but without Mike Ross he wouldn't have had much to work with.
Indeed, and Nugget scored tries in 2 Euro finasl and 2 Pro12 Finals.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

When we had Te'o last season, who was excellent at times from 13, many of us were hoping he'd get a run at 12. The idea (mine anyway) was that a guy like Ben would tie in the midfield and his pace and power from 12 allows him to either bring in the back row on the inside or 3/4 players on the outside.

It didn't work that well. Ben's ability to offload was less effective in the tight spaces of 12, his passing wasnt really up to it and he had no kicking game. It wasn't a disaster and there were a few good games of his from 12, but he was a better 13. That stifled Ringrose's / ROL's development also.

Robbie is everything we would have hoped for from Te'o, plus with much better passing, a kicking option and better defensive effort. Not as devastating a linebreader maybe, but not far off.

It's brought our back row into the game as inside carriers, it's given us Ringrose as a 13 and not occasional 14, a defensive solidity (except vs Castres....) and helped cure us (also except vs Castres) of our tendency since MOC days to crab. The latter has opened space for the 3/4 to get more productive ball and to shine.

It's been a huge contribution. I still feel a bit sorry for Connacht and I didn't expect Henshaw to be thus important to us. But I ain't exactly complaining.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

still love him and hes class but even allowing for forgetting hes still 23 Henshaw's decision making today, v Wasps and in other games has been disappointing, hes blowing try scoring chances by not passing and then taking wrong options at other times (losing composure)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

simonokeeffe wrote:still love him and hes class but even allowing for forgetting hes still 23 Henshaw's decision making today, v Wasps and in other games has been disappointing, hes blowing try scoring chances by not passing and then taking wrong options at other times (losing composure)
True, and if we're honest he also lacks top-end pace. Still, he's almost self-destructively brave, very good defender, excellent carrier, and has the complete skillset - passing, offloading and kicking, he just sometimes doesn't utilise them fully due to dodgy decision-making.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:still love him and hes class but even allowing for forgetting hes still 23 Henshaw's decision making today, v Wasps and in other games has been disappointing, hes blowing try scoring chances by not passing and then taking wrong options at other times (losing composure)
True, and if we're honest he also lacks top-end pace. Still, he's almost self-destructively brave, very good defender, excellent carrier, and has the complete skillset - passing, offloading and kicking, he just sometimes doesn't utilise them fully due to dodgy decision-making.
definitely
its a work on not a fatal flaw
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

I'll judge Henshaw in a few years.

For now, people mention Mike Ross, who was a super IQ signing (also Reddan, Boss and Nugget).
For me, Leo and Jennings were our most important IQ signings.
Would we be where we are now if they hadn't come back?
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

curates_egg wrote:I'll judge Henshaw in a few years.

For now, people mention Mike Ross, who was a super IQ signing (also Reddan, Boss and Nugget).
Hard to argue with this, those two changed us fundamentally imo
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hippo wrote:
curates_egg wrote:I'll judge Henshaw in a few years.

Hard to argue with this, those two changed us fundamentally imo
they learnt how to beat Munster with Leicester :wink:
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Post by BlueWheels »

FLIP wrote:
Ross is by far the best at present. Henshaw may very well overtake him in time but is only starting his Leinster career when compared to Ross.

Bringing Cullen & Jennings back from the Tigers certainly were good moves as well
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Henshaw has now beaten all five of NZ, SA, AUS, FRA & ENG starting at both No12 and No13. Phenomenal achievement.

New Zealand
@ No12 [05.11.16]
@ No13 [15.06.22]

South Africa
@ No12 [08.11.14]
@ No13 [11.06.16]

Australia
@ No12 [16.06.18]
@ No13 [22.11.14]

England
@ No12 [01.03.15]
@ No13 [20.03.21]

France
@ No12 [14.02.15]
@ No13 [03.02.18]
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Ridiculous stat!!!!

And achievement.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wow, great stat Hugo (and Robbie!).
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

ronk wrote: January 23rd, 2017, 9:36 pm He's been good signing. We haven't signed many really high impact IQ players direct from other provinces. Mike McCarthy was an international.

In terms of improving players around him, I'm sure he's done it but he was injured at the start of the season so it can't all be him when t was happening already.