A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Ben T'eo

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

wixfjord wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:
I don’t necessarily buy into the one trick pony narrative either though, Billy V pretty much has only one trick but it’s really good one.

That's absolutely not true if you've watched Billy V at all over the last few years.
Both Sarries and England have used his handling game a lot, in open play and set moves.
He's very much a double threat. Something that Stander for example hasn't managed to add to his game and could make him far more dangerous if he did.
Billy V's one trick is being really hard to stop and being able to pop a pass in contact, to this he has added tasing the ball in set moves. He is also used as a decoy.

it's being argued that Ben T'eo's one trick is being really hard to stop and being able to pop a pass in contact - which Leinster couldn't really take advantage of at the time. I've also seen T'eo throw impressive passes off set plays

so... apologies for not being 100% clear, but i think we're saying the same thing.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

One trick pony is for more limited players. Vunipola is a really good player who does plenty of everything like tackling, winning turnovers. Not jumping in lineout, obviously though.

He's not an all rounder, you have to play a little differently to get the best out of him. But if you have a skillful player who can carry as well as him you want to get the best benefit out of that.

Sometimes you call a player like that a system player but at his level any team would make adjustments.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

ronk wrote:One trick pony is for more limited players. Vunipola is a really good player who does plenty of everything like tackling, winning turnovers. Not jumping in lineout, obviously though.

He's not an all rounder, you have to play a little differently to get the best out of him. But if you have a skillful player who can carry as well as him you want to get the best benefit out of that.

Sometimes you call a player like that a system player but at his level any team would make adjustments.
OK fair enough, in my mind I’m comparing Billy V. with Jamie Heaslip and Kieron Reid who had serious well rounded games. The point I am trying to make is that compared to time he is limited but very very effective in what he does. Similarly I see T’eo as limited when compared to Ringrose, for example, but he was still very effective at what he did.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Billy V is probably the most valuable rugby player on the planet right now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Come on for 15 minutes in second half for Broncos.

Looked active in spurts then awol at other times. Looked very out of puff going off with less than 10 to go.

Guess Luther Burrell isn't messing about the huge difference in conditioning needed for league.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

What's the ball in play time for league compared to union I wonder?

With no rucks to slow things down I'd imagine it's far higher?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

wixfjord wrote:What's the ball in play time for league compared to union I wonder?

Saw one research article suggesting 50 mins ball in play time. From 2014 though so could be even higher now.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Morf wrote:
wixfjord wrote:What's the ball in play time for league compared to union I wonder?

Saw one research article suggesting 50 mins ball in play time. From 2014 though so could be even higher now.
The offside line means they can be running more between phases.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote:
Morf wrote:

The offside line means they can be running more between phases.
Any phase play is ball in play as I'd understand it.