Bath Away

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Bath Away

Post by simonokeeffe »

Coaches seem positive on Luke, Te'o, ROK and Isa making this one and they were all upping their training this week. Ruddock has been carrying knocks according to Leo

I would be less enthused on McCarthy, Strauss and SOB in that order on the head knocks with their respective histories

RK, DK, Te'o, Luke, Isa, Johnny, Reddan or RK, Isa, Te'o, Reid, Luke, Johnny, Reddan

forwards is tricky, Moore needs to come on to bench to shore up scrum, Denton on bench over Molony would be painful
Jordi Murphy deserves to be dropped but that would be tricky with no Ruddock & SOB, Conan isn't really a 6 either
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Bath Away

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Jordi's head in hands reaction to dropping the ball after Luke's break/offload makes me think he has to drop out regardless of who comes in, just looked devoid of confidence. Had a couple of great takes and one turnover but in general he just wasn't as the races. Assuming SOB is fit and Ruddock isn't (just guesswork) then I wouldn't mind Conan at 6. Not ideal but we need more ball carriers. Then I'd have VDF on the bench to speed things up and add the energy we lacked today.

Personally I'd start Moore, Triggs, and replace Jordi. It's not inconceivable that Rob and Isa replace Mads and Kirchner. Te'o obviously comes in. Luke probably does too but hard to know where at this stage. That's a lot of changes...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Jordi's head in hands reaction to dropping the ball after Luke's break/offload makes me think he has to drop out regardless of who comes in, just looked devoid of confidence. Had a couple of great takes and one turnover but in general he just wasn't as the races. Assuming SOB is fit and Ruddock isn't (just guesswork) then I wouldn't mind Conan at 6. Not ideal but we need more ball carriers. Then I'd have VDF on the bench to speed things up and add the energy we lacked today.

Personally I'd start Moore, Triggs, and replace Jordi. It's not inconceivable that Rob and Isa replace Mads and Kirchner. Te'o obviously comes in. Luke probably does too but hard to know where at this stage. That's a lot of changes...
we were missing 80% of our 3/4 line
Decent argument that Reid did more to keep his place than Dave Kearney IF Dave is moving to right wing

to me Heaslip JVDF Conan would be more balanced than Heaslip SOB Conan

Have a bad feeling Ruddock wont make it, would bet the house on McCarthy not making it
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Hopefully, the lads will be giving themselves an absoloute bollicking for that effort. The mistakes, as deeply frustrating as they are, can be forgiven but the clear lack of effort from the lads after Simpson's try cannot :evil: I've picked this squad on the basis that we'll be missing Strauss, SO'B, Mike Mac, Ruddock and Luke :(

1-15 for Bath: McGrath, Cronin, Moore, Toner, Triggs, Conan, VDF, Heaslip, McGrath, Sexton, Isa, Reid, T'eo, Ringrose, Rob
16-23: Tracey, Healy, Furlong, Moloney, Murphy, Reddan, Madigan, McFadden
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

why are we dropping Ross?

safe call on Luke probably (alas)

I'd back Reddan on fact there is no way he can play that badly again
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

simonokeeffe wrote:why are we dropping Ross?

safe call on Luke probably (alas)

I'd back Reddan on fact there is no way he can play that badly again
The scrum wasn't good enough against Wasps and Moore (and Furlong) can't improve by not playing games. Ross wasn't bad but we've got to start trusting younger players (when they are viable options).

If Reddan is selected I'd expect a significant improvement but, again, why not give McGrath a shot?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I thought Ross was poor (although he was clearly injured) and he was off the pace against Argentina too. We need a bit more oomph in the pack and have good options at tighthead, may as well use them. It's dangerous to start dropping experienced internationals but in his case I think it makes sense. Maybe he'll be fully fit next week and go well but today was so bad that I like the idea of freshening things up where we can. As much as the returning backs will make a difference, the pack was just toothless today.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Furlong got pushed around like a shopping trolley though, albeit Strauss going off, and McCarthy weakens scrum

At the match Ross seemed to get through a lot of work, plus he is a good lifter and mauler
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

Part of me thinks that our best chance of turning things around is if we give the players the chance to redeem themselves (a la the 2nd half of the 2011 Heineken Cup final) and the other part thinks that we need to change a few players.

I think I'd give Ross another chance. There's no evidence that Moore would do any better, but should Bent come in for Healy on the bench?

Cronin and Triggs should come in if Strauss and McCarthy don't make it, or even if they aren't able to train properly this week. I guess it'll be Treacy/Dundon and Molony who get promoted to the bench.

I don't think Murphy's physical enough at blindside. I'd bring JvdF in at openside with SOB (if fit) or Conan at 6.

Selection in the backs is complicated by fitness issues but I'd like to see 11 Fitz, 12 Te'o, 13 Ringrose, 14 Kearney, 15 Nacewa. DK has copped a bit of criticism but I thought his tackle busting was pretty impressive
maps
Knowledgeable

Post by maps »

We need T'eo back. He has been excellent so far this season
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

replacing Healy with Bent would be like replacing the fire brigade with strippers
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

simonokeeffe wrote:replacing Healy with Bent would be like replacing the fire brigade with strippers
How about Dooley, he couldn't be as bad.
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

the spoofer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:replacing Healy with Bent would be like replacing the fire brigade with strippers
How about some of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7Hd4OUTuQ
Flying wedge
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

footrush wrote:
the spoofer wrote:
How about some of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7Hd4OUTuQ
hmmmm think Contepomi covering loosehead a little too David Knoxy for my liking
footrush
Rhys Ruddock

Post by footrush »

How about Dooley, he couldn't be as bad.[/quote]
How about some of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7Hd4OUTuQ[/quote]

hmmmm think Contepomi covering loosehead a little too David Knoxy for my liking[/quote
Why not we have nothing to loose :wink:
Flying wedge
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Thought McCarthy and Strauss were the only two forwards who actually performed to par yesterday. I honestly think they are taking too many risks with Strauss though. I make it 3 concussions in 6 weeks. He needs a long rest.
McCarthy would be good to get back, as would Ruddock. We need that kind of aggression, which none of the other players seem to bring at the moment.
I don't see how anyone who watched the game yesterday would think replacing Reddan (whose passing was appalling, granted) with McGrath is a panacea. McGrath was headless.
People are also ignoring the elephant in the room that Sexton is just massively off-form this year.
In fact, I struggle to think of an Irish international player that is performing well at the moment. Maybe McGrath, Strauss and Luke but that's it. Strauss needs a rest and who knows what is up with Luke this time.

We had lots and lots of good possession but could not break through their defence. Only Reid and Madigan took the ball to the line until Ringrose came on. Clearly, Reid is a liability in defence and playing Madigan at 15 is nonsense. That leaves you with Ringrose. He has to be central to plans from here on in and, if that means shifting Te'o to 12, it needs to happen. Clearly, we can't just do that this week though.

I don't think anyone would have expected us to get more than a point out of this game last week, so expectations shouldn't change. It would be nice if we just salvaged some pride though.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

curates_egg wrote:People are also ignoring the elephant in the room that Sexton is just massively off-form this year.
His form hasn't been great but for me the pack is the real problem. They are being consistently dominated in the breakdown, the set piece is a mess, and the individual carriers simply aren't making any gains. So we have no gainline success from within the pack, no set piece ball, and any ball we do get is slowed down far too easily.

We are shoveling that cr@p out to Johnny and hoping he can do something with it.

I'm sure our pack will react one of these days, but that will be it, a one off reaction. Then they will return to the usual sub-standard they are used to producing. Its "ladyboys" stuff again and they need to toughen the f%~k up or step aside for someone who will.
Last edited by Logorrhea on November 16th, 2015, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Why do we carry from a standing start?
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

the spoofer wrote:Why do we carry from a standing start?
I've actually been impressed with our carrying this season: people taking lines from deep to carry across the gainline.
That this did not happen on Sunday is probably down to the change in personnel and general disruption in the backline (3 players out of position, 4 players injured).
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

love to see a backline of McGrath and Madigan, Luke Reid T'eo and Isa or McFadden, and Rob Kearney. A pretty potent attack.