Moderator: moderators

deco
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by deco »

backrower8 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:15 pm
fourthirtythree wrote: October 5th, 2022, 4:01 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:47 pm
Don't think the swimming thing makes a difference one way or the other. If you end up in the water mid Atlantic, you're done. One of the reason fishermen in the West historically never learnt to swim.
I remember explaining that to an American out West once and she didn't believe me so I grabbed a fisherman I knew who was right there who confirmed.

He died a few months later after falling off the boat in the harbour.
Fair point, although still hard to fathom (no pun intended) given all the other physical exploits he has mastered and the fact that he could have drowned off Furbo/Galway Bay having rowed all that way.

If you marry someone and have a kid its not just about you anymore. There are other ways to make a living and still be an amazing adventurer.
As you've already said, it's none of your business.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Imagine if the explorers of the past had such qualms, we'd still be sat in caves hitting each other with sticks.
Anyone But New Zealand
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Don't think the swimming thing makes a difference one way or the other. If you end up in the water mid Atlantic, you're done. One of the reason fishermen in the West historically never learnt to swim.
I remember explaining that to an American out West once and she didn't believe me so I grabbed a fisherman I knew who was right there who confirmed.

Is that actually true or is it down to the lack of swimming pools in rural areas? In certain countries learning to swim is part of the primary school curriculum, but a surprisingly large amount of Irish people can't swim.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

FLIP wrote: October 5th, 2022, 7:21 pm Imagine if the explorers of the past had such qualms, we'd still be sat in caves hitting each other with sticks.
That's next winter.
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

Laighin Break wrote: October 5th, 2022, 7:57 pm

Is that actually true or is it down to the lack of swimming pools in rural areas? In certain countries learning to swim is part of the primary school curriculum, but a surprisingly large amount of Irish people can't swim.
I believe that it's true. I good friend of mine drowned while working on his father's trawler in Howth. He specifically told me before starting to work for his father that none of his family could swim.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Yep, the philosophy was that you're done anyway so get it done quickly. I think that was also one of the reasons unique patterns on Aran sweaters existed, helped identify drowned fishermen.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

deco wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:56 pm
backrower8 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 6:15 pm

Fair point, although still hard to fathom (no pun intended) given all the other physical exploits he has mastered and the fact that he could have drowned off Furbo/Galway Bay having rowed all that way.

If you marry someone and have a kid its not just about you anymore. There are other ways to make a living and still be an amazing adventurer.
As you've already said, it's none of your business.
Yeah, as in I won't be taking it up with him. You, on the other hand, will continue to read what I think.
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

Leinster exile Joey Carbery starting for Munster at fullback tomorrow.

I wish him all the best but what an absolute clusterfunk this whole thing has been. Four years, and we're back where we started...almost.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

curates_egg wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:32 pm Leinster exile Joey Carbery starting for Munster at fullback tomorrow.

I wish him all the best but what an absolute clusterfunk this whole thing has been. Four years, and we're back where we started...almost.
The whole thing hasn't been good for Ireland, Leinster or Joey himself. Possibly also Munster too, Full Back is a position where they probably have more depth than we do.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

As farcical as it is from a Leinster perspective, I presume this selection was IRFU cleared, so it is hopefully an indication that we are finally moving on from betting the house on the poor guy as being the replacement for J10. A year out from the world cup, it is again very late. But better to address now than not at all.
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

curates_egg wrote: October 6th, 2022, 1:32 pm Leinster exile Joey Carbery starting for Munster at fullback tomorrow.

Left UCD to join Clontarf because Ross Byrne was playing 10 ahead of him. Left Leinster to join Munster because Jonny Sexton and Ross Byrne were playing 10 ahead of him. Expect a transfer rumour to begin at some point in the week before the World Cup Final.
Serb
Mullet

Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by Serb »

Joey to fullback is an enforced change for Munster and I wouldn’t read any more than that into it.

Haley, Zebo, Earls, Coombes and Conway are all injured, Shane Daly and Calvin Nash are with the Emerging Ireland squad. They’re playing academy lads on the wings and genuinely don’t have a fit 15 in the squad.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Fionn Gibbons on the bench for Munster, a miss by the Leinster academy?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 7th, 2022, 6:35 am Fionn Gibbons on the bench for Munster, a miss by the Leinster academy?
No.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote: October 7th, 2022, 7:48 am
mildlyinterested wrote: October 7th, 2022, 6:35 am Fionn Gibbons on the bench for Munster, a miss by the Leinster academy?
No.
Why?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 7th, 2022, 7:51 am
No.
Why?

Because he looked like a guy with very poor skills who was able to perform at 20s due to his size advantage. That doesn’t work in the pro game unless you’ve got the skills to go with it. I’m sure we had the choice and didn’t take him. I tend to trust the lads who make the choices. They very rarely get it wrong.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:12 am

No.
Why?

Because he looked like a guy with very poor skills who was able to perform at 20s due to his size advantage. That doesn’t work in the pro game unless you’ve got the skills to go with it. I’m sure we had the choice and didn’t take him. I tend to trust the lads who make the choices. They very rarely get it wrong.
Leinsters academy seem to be reluctant to back raw athletes and develop their skills and rather pick the more developed 19/20 year old.

They usually make the right call, but they arent immune to making mistakes, Gibbons must be impressing in Munster, wait and see.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

mildlyinterested wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:27 am

Why?

Leinsters academy seem to be reluctant to back raw athletes and develop their skills and rather pick the more developed 19/20 year old.

They usually make the right call, but they arent immune to making mistakes, Gibbons must be impressing in Munster, wait and see.
Just to point out that Jamie Osbourne has a couple of dozen caps for Leinster while Karl Martin has 2 (including in a 3rds team against us) for Montpelier.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

the spoofer wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:38 am
mildlyinterested wrote: October 7th, 2022, 8:27 am

Just to point out that Jamie Osbourne has a couple of dozen caps for Leinster while Karl Martin has 2 (including in a 3rds team against us) for Montpelier.
Not sure what that has to do with Gibbons? I never said Leinster shouldnt have taken Osborne and Martin instead, rather that Martin should have gotten an academy offer also.

Also FYI Martin is currently out with a long term knee injury and was an age grade below Osborne.

Martin and Gibbons are two examples of big athletic centres from non-traditional backgrounds, overlooked by leinster for whatever reason., if the issue is skills, then why arent the coaches backing themselves to develop these players skills? thats what good coaching is about..

it's not like leinsters academy is overflowing with talented outside backs.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Munster have no other outside back available in their senior or academy squad I believe.

Proclaiming a guy who benches in that scenario a 'miss for the Leinster academy' is ridiculously knee jerk.