Leinster exiles, where are they.

A forum for true blue Leinster supporters to talk about and support their team

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Leinster exiles, where are they.

Post by wixfjord »

Watched a bit of it. ROL is a really classy player who belongs at that level.

I'd say he'll be an ever present in their 23 across the season.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

In what I've seen of Dunne so far I think the moving was definitely the right option for him. He still doesn't look like a guy who plays his size and you would hope that will come with game time. Needs to be playing every week (or near enough) and that wasn't gonna happen at Leinster.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Adam Byrne unlikely to be available for Connacht until at least the Munster game. Same story, different club.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
curates_egg
Seán Cronin

Post by curates_egg »

blockhead wrote: September 20th, 2022, 7:47 am Adam Byrne unlikely to be available for Connacht until at least the Munster game. Same story, different club.
Wait, I was attacked by one regular contributor on here for suggesting he might not have made much of a difference to us last weekend because he has had such bad luck with injuries.

Here is the article: https://www.the42.ie/pete-wilkins-5870615-Sep2022/.

Poor guy. You really hope he can put his long run of injuries behind him.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

curates_egg wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:16 am
blockhead wrote: September 20th, 2022, 7:47 am Adam Byrne unlikely to be available for Connacht until at least the Munster game. Same story, different club.
Wait, I was attacked by one regular contributor on here for suggesting he might not have made much of a difference to us last weekend because he has had such bad luck with injuries.

If you were 'attacked' you should really report it to the mods. Can't be having that on here.

That's not what you said either, but probably best to leave that there.

In any case, according to Wilkins he's not injured.
“I think we have got real improved depth for those back-three players now. Adam has done a good job through pre-season and he will get plenty of opportunities this year, but for this two-game block and the travel that’s involved, we picked a group with, certainly we think quality in it, but also a bit of utility value as well.

“Adam will train hard back in Galway with some of those other guys. We will see him pretty soon.”
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

curates_egg wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:16 am

That's only a couple of weeks so hopefully he'll be grand. in my view he was absolutely a regretted loss, he's a Champions Cup level player who could have won caps for Ireland if he'd had more luck with injuries. He is still only 28, so 4 or 5 years left on the clock at least.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

For what It's worth I liked Adam Byrne as a player and was sorry to see him go. For me he was the best kick chaser we had. He just seemed to have a natural physique for it. I'd love one of our current academy crop to have this. When we boxed kick and Adam was on the pitch you always felt you had a good chance of winning the ball back. I seldom get that when we box kick now.

That said, if I'm honest I don't think Adam punched his weight round the park. With his build He should have been able to carry the ball into contact like George North but I always felt he was reluctant at contact. Maybe for a guy that was getting hurt so often some hesitation at the point of contact was to be expected.

Personally I thought his flaws as a player were big enough and probably too big (if he didn't fix them) to ever make him international standard. But in the areas he was strong, he was very strong. Overall I would like to have kept him, mainly because I think he looks better then some of the guys coming in at the moment. That's unfair on them (the guys coming in I mean) as they're young and only time will tell on that one but it's just my initial feeling.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

wixfjord wrote: September 20th, 2022, 9:30 amIn any case, according to Wilkins he's not injured.
“I think we have got real improved depth for those back-three players now. Adam has done a good job through pre-season and he will get plenty of opportunities this year, but for this two-game block and the travel that’s involved, we picked a group with, certainly we think quality in it, but also a bit of utility value as well.

“Adam will train hard back in Galway with some of those other guys. We will see him pretty soon.”
Sounds like "If we bring him he will be injured"
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 20th, 2022, 12:34 pm For what It's worth I liked Adam Byrne as a player and was sorry to see him go. For me he was the best kick chaser we had. He just seemed to have a natural physique for it. I'd love one of our current academy crop to have this. When we boxed kick and Adam was on the pitch you always felt you had a good chance of winning the ball back. I seldom get that when we box kick now.

That said, if I'm honest I don't think Adam punched his weight round the park. With his build He should have been able to carry the ball into contact like George North but I always felt he was reluctant at contact. Maybe for a guy that was getting hurt so often some hesitation at the point of contact was to be expected.

Personally I thought his flaws as a player were big enough and probably too big (if he didn't fix them) to ever make him international standard. But in the areas he was strong, he was very strong. Overall I would like to have kept him, mainly because I think he looks better then some of the guys coming in at the moment. That's unfair on them (the guys coming in I mean) as they're young and only time will tell on that one but it's just my initial feeling.
Adam Byrne was a good player to have. He fit very nicely in the depth chart and provided a little something that was very valuable to an inexperienced backloje.

Unfortunately he probably wasn't going to make it as a top level player for us or internationally. I think the decision was made to invest what development minutes are available into other younger players who might make it at the very top level.

Also an experienced pro probably has certain salary expectations that wouldn't fit a bit part role which is what would be on offer.

Hopefully the move works out for him and one of the younger players comes good for us.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I see that Jack Dunne has said he has no desire to play for England.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Good article on the 42 with Jamie Hagan. Lot's of lessons in there for everyone. It can be easy to forget that rugby players have other things going on in their lives which may effect performance too.

https://www.the42.ie/jamie-hagan-rugby- ... =shortlink
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/10 ... an-browne/

"Browne is one of only a few individuals to successfully row the Atlantic in both directions having crossed from San Sebastian to Antigua in 2018. He also climbed Mount Everest between the two rowing trips."
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

deco wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:04 pm https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/10 ... an-browne/

"Browne is one of only a few individuals to successfully row the Atlantic in both directions having crossed from San Sebastian to Antigua in 2018. He also climbed Mount Everest between the two rowing trips."
But what has he done for US lately?

Bloody Slacker.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

IanD wrote: October 4th, 2022, 2:00 pm
deco wrote: October 4th, 2022, 1:04 pm https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/10 ... an-browne/

But what has he done for US lately?

Bloody Slacker.
Unseen work.
Obviously.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Truly remarkable man.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

cormac wrote: October 4th, 2022, 3:06 pm

Truly remarkable man.
Sure if, I've been following him day to day. The lad is as tough mentally and physically as they come. Fair play to him on doing the impossible.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Fair play to him? I don't know.

While hugely admiring of his grit and achievement, and being in awe of his guts...I have to wonder about the fact that he has a wife and child too. Were his back-up systems adequate enough to derisk a potential disaster far from land, or merchant shipping? He can't even swim ffs!

He did try to do this one with a rowing partner, but he chose to continue on alone. No doubt this is part of building a career to susrtain his family, but jeez the risk taken along the way is hard for me to fathom.

It is none of my business of course, its between him, his wife and, in time, his child(ren). I am just sharing how my own mindset could never counrtenance such a thing - truth be told, I wouldn't do it if I was single AND could swim!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

backrower8 wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:55 pm Fair play to him? I don't know.

While hugely admiring of his grit and achievement, and being in awe of his guts...I have to wonder about the fact that he has a wife and child too. Were his back-up systems adequate enough to derisk a potential disaster far from land, or merchant shipping? He can't even swim ffs!

He did try to do this one with a rowing partner, but he chose to continue on alone. No doubt this is part of building a career to susrtain his family, but jeez the risk taken along the way is hard for me to fathom.

It is none of my business of course, its between him, his wife and, in time, his child(ren). I am just sharing how my own mindset could never counrtenance such a thing - truth be told, I wouldn't do it if I was single AND could swim!
I hear what you're saying but this is obviously part of who he is - he climbed Everest as an "inbetweener" so I guess his wife knew that when she met him. He also makes his living from coaching and motivational speaking. I followed his story daily and I do admire what he's done from the outside I'd never for a moment want to be where he is. I love a bit of purposeful challenge but I do think some of this extreme stuff cross the border into possible madness!

Don't think the swimming thing makes a difference one way or the other. If you end up in the water mid Atlantic, you're done. One of the reason fishermen in the West historically never learnt to swim.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Flash Gordon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:47 pm
Don't think the swimming thing makes a difference one way or the other. If you end up in the water mid Atlantic, you're done. One of the reason fishermen in the West historically never learnt to swim.
I remember explaining that to an American out West once and she didn't believe me so I grabbed a fisherman I knew who was right there who confirmed.

He died a few months later after falling off the boat in the harbour.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 5th, 2022, 4:01 pm
Flash Gordon wrote: October 5th, 2022, 3:47 pm
I remember explaining that to an American out West once and she didn't believe me so I grabbed a fisherman I knew who was right there who confirmed.

He died a few months later after falling off the boat in the harbour.
Fair point, although still hard to fathom (no pun intended) given all the other physical exploits he has mastered and the fact that he could have drowned off Furbo/Galway Bay having rowed all that way.

If you marry someone and have a kid its not just about you anymore. There are other ways to make a living and still be an amazing adventurer.